Nice little summary by Barbara Anderson re dear old Geoffrey GB and "presumptuousness"...

by umbertoecho 14 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• umbertoecho
    umbertoecho

JW Governing Body claims to be the “Faithful Slave”

GJackson

Did you know how (in sworn testimony during the recent Australian Royal Commission hearing) Governing Body member Geoffrey Jackson responded to the question, “Do you see yourselves as Jehovah’s spokespeople on earth?”

Jackson replied, “That, I think, would seem to be quite presumptuous to say that we are the ‘only spokesperson’ that God is using.”

Really? Was he being truthful and honest when he replied that way?

Did you know in the February 15, 1918 Watchtower magazine it is recorded,

. . .we believe it a safe rule to follow Brother Russell’s interpretation, for the reason that he is the servant of the church, . . . and therefore we should expect the Lord to teach us through him.

Then in the October 1, 1994 Watchtower expanded this concept to another level,

All who want to understand the Bible should appreciate that the ‘greatly diversified wisdom of God’ can become known only through Jehovah’s channel of communication, the ‘faithful and discreet slave.’

Three years later in the January 1, 1997 Watchtower Jehovah’s Witnesses leaders stated,

Jehovah has commissioned the . . . slave class to provide spiritual ‘food at the proper time.’

The November, 15, 2009 Watchtower provided this admonition:

We need to guard against developing a spirit of independence. By word or action, may we never challenge the channel of communication that Jehovah is using today.

Did you know that Geoffrey Jackson went on to say, “…going back to Matthew 24, clearly, Jesus said that in the last days – and Jehovah’s Witnesses believe these are the ‘last days’ – there would be a ‘slave’, a group of persons who would have responsibility to care for the spiritual food. So in that respect, we view ourselves as trying to fulfill that role.”?

GB-2013

Jackson may believe he personally is a part of that “slave,” but common sense tells us that believing something is “true” does not necessarily make it so – because no one can create “truth;” no one can change reality. Beliefs should be based on reason, evidence and undeniable content – not rooted in personal viewpoint or unsupportable claims.

Who, then, is the faithful and discreet slave? In keeping with Jesus’ pattern of feeding many through the hands of a few, that slave is made up of a small group of anointed brothers who are directly involved in preparing and dispensing spiritual food during Christ’s presence. Throughout the last days, the anointed brothers who make up the faithful slave have served together at headquarters. In recent decades, that slave has been closely identified with the Governing Body of Jehovah’s Witnesses.Note, however, that the word “slave” in Jesus’ illustration is singular, indicating that this is a composite slave. The decisions of the Governing Body are thus made collectively. (July 2013 Watchtower – Study Edition
  • JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

Good compilation of quotes from 'Mother' that shows these pompous fellow Governing Body members feel they are the one and only channel God is using today. Add this to the above list:

"Today, Jehovah guides his people by means of the Bible, his holy spirit, and the congregation. (Acts 9:31; 15:28; 2 Tim. 3:16, 17) The guidance that we receive from him is so clear that it is as if ‘our own ears hear a word behind us saying: “This is the way. Walk in it.”’ (Isa. 30:21) In effect, Jesus also conveys Jehovah’s voice to us as he directs the congregation through “the faithful and discreet slave.” (Matt. 24:45) We need to take this guidance and direction seriously, for our everlasting life depends on our obedience."—Heb. 5:9 W 8//15/2014 pg 21 par 2

I find it hilarious that out lives depend on our obedience to these 'Pillsbury Doughboys'!

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Throughout the last days, the anointed brothers who make up the faithful slave have served together at headquarters. In recent decades, that slave has been closely identified with the Governing Body of Jehovah’s Witnesses.

Well, that's BS! The WTBTS claims they don't keep record of anointed ones, because they don't ask for their input. Remember that?

1) Why keep track of partakers during the Memorial?

2) If you really aren't keeping a record, then how can the WTBTS know with certainty that all the anointed brothers in the "Last Days" are at HQ?

I know they didn't directly say "all anointed", but they meant it. Otherwise they would have said, "...some of the brothers who are anointed.." They are wording the article to plant a belief in the minds of the R&F. That belief is: "Genuine anointed, THE ANOINTED, are at World Headquarters. No others who claim to be anointed can be associated with the FDS. THE END."

So "logically" (ahem...) none except the GB could be the FDS, which makes Jacko's comments all the more absurd. He directly contradicts they very doctrine that he and his fellow "collective FDS" claim to protect. "Guardians of Doctrine"?!?!?? I think not. More like "Guardians of the WTBTS's Real Estate."

DD

• Sail Away
    Sail Away
    My never-baptized, yet somehow believing JW father had a favorite saying. It comes to mind now-- "Gag a maggot!"
  • LisaRose
    LisaRose

He was right about one thing, it certainly would be presumptuous to pressume they were the only spokesperson for God, but that is indeed what they claim to be, as any rank and file JW would tell you. It's amazing that Jackson's nose didn't grow longer and longer as he was giving his testimony.

• ReligionOfHatred
    ReligionOfHatred

There were areas I was hoping the judge would go regarding the role of women in the Watchtower Organization. I asked my Dad about his comments and he said something interesting, there was a woman who ruled over Israel, a woman who was the judge and celebrated by Jews because she was courageous, strong and tough! How come the judge did not mention Deborah. How come nobody mentioned her, the first and last female ruler of Israel who was appointed by God!

Deborah was both a prophetess and ruler of the people of ancient Israel, the only woman among the twelve judges. She held court under the Palm Tree of Deborah in the hill country of Ephraim, deciding the people's disputes.

All was not well, however. The Israelites had been disobeying God, so God allowed Jabin, a king of Canaan, to oppress them. Jabin's general was named Sisera, and he intimidated the Hebrews with 900 iron chariots, powerful tools of war that struck terror into the hearts of foot soldiers.

http://christianity.about.com/od/oldtestamentpeople/a/JZ-Deborah.htm

• Oogie
    Oogie
    Nobody mentioned Deborah because then the Watchtower would have to do away with its male-dominated belief system.
  • TheWonderofYou
    TheWonderofYou
    This input of umbertoeco fortified me to write more down my thoughts about the "identity-crisis" or the "leader?ship-culture" of the GB
  • lettersfromthevoid
    lettersfromthevoid
    He didn't say no to the question though. McClelland should have pressed him for definitive yes or no. Jackson slithered out of that one. So I guess he was calling himself presumptuous.
  • Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

In fairness, when reading those old quotes from the Watchtower, they indicate that Jehovah is indeed using them but they never actually say that they alone are the only ones he is using. They indicate that they are the "faithful and discrete slave" but they never say that there aren't individuals in some other organization that he may be using as part of that "slave"

You and I and every JW out there know that they view themselves as the one and only channel but technically I suppose they could get around this when pressed for an answer because (like so many things) they never come right out and say it....rather they only make heavy implications.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit