"COC"=any effect?

by mackey 6 Replies latest jw friends

• mackey
    mackey

I posted about a week ago on another forum about a very close friend of mine whom i am trying to get out of the org. She was baptized when she was 15 and she's now 24. I want to marry her,but I have to get her out first, which I know all to well is EXTREMELY difficult. Through extensive research It seems to me my only chance is to get her to read "coc" and "isocf", which she has agreed to do. I just remembered that when I asked her to read the books she said that she was afraid they would "corrupt" her mind (lol). My question is with the obvious control the wt has over her mind can the information in these books open her eyes at all? From reading the posts about Ray Franz's books It seems that they almost always have a positive impact on the reader, Though It sometimes takes a while.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Some of the most active and diehard JW's you will find have read Franz's books, so no guarantees mate. Remember, JW's have been very trained to rationalize EVERYTHING that mama does. They can lay that "they're just imperfect men" card down at any time and trump (in their mind) your apostate royal straight flush of evidence that the WT is a scam.

I can't see how anybody could read them and not be moved by them, but fear is a powerful force.

When I read CofC, I was good and ready, I had seen enough on my own and was already half-way out the door.

Edited by - dantheman on 13 January 2003 21:11:5

• josephus
    josephus

Hi

ray franz is a good man i owe him a big debt. Give it a go, and pray that she sees. My thoughts are with you.

josephus

• Buster
    Buster

I'm gonna agree with Dan. The Franz books are a gentle guide out the door. I remember when I got the books, I expected a hard-bitten attack on all things WTS. But his tone was so soft, that the books drew me in more and more. But I have been out for many years.

The object of your affection can rationalize better than you can imagine. She can justify 1914, 1975, the WTS stand on the blood issue, shunning close family members - all that stuff.

Good luck

• reporter
    reporter

I wish I could write something with that kind of tone...but I would still be way too harsh. Ray's excellent job of this coupled with his extensive study, knowledge and evidence will do more to help, as opposed to corrupt, one's mind.

In my mind, there's no other who's been where he's been and seen what he's seen, in terms of the WTS's inner workings. One of the more surprising findings for me is the GB's 2/3 majority requirement to get anything passed or changed. So you could have a vote of, say 10-6 for reforming the blood policy, but, no dice, because that's not 2 thirds!!! But 11-5, and we're in business.

It has been known that issues have been decided on one member swaying his vote, much like they sway their genitalia in a competition to see whose is bigger.

• Mulan
    Mulan

We were still attending meetings, but not regularly, when I read CofC. After I finished it, we never went back. My husband had read it a few years earlier, and had read In Search of Christian Freedom too, while an elder. He was VERY angry, about what he read, but wasn't ready to quit yet. We were fading when I picked it up to read. We both knew we wanted out, and he had resigned as an elder a year earlier. Just a gradual fade.

I think it might reach her heart. It sure did mine. I couldn't support it anymore, after reading the first book. Maybe it affects women in a different way.

As someone else said, there are many elders, pioneers, and Bethelites, who have read those books, and are still in place as loyal dubs. Brain death, perhaps.

• Athanasius
    Athanasius

I was an elder when I first read C of C in 1984. After that I began to seriously question my JW beliefs. There is no way an honest person can remain a JW after reading that book. I resigned as an elder, stopped meeting attendance and then experienced true Christian freedom. I hope that reading C of C will have the same effect on your friend.

Athanasius

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit