Why don't JW's mind their own business?

by unbeliever 8 Replies latest jw friends

• unbeliever
    unbeliever

Especially when you were never baptized and have not been an active member in years! Yesterday I went to my moms to get some of my stuff out of her garage so I could put it in storage. I walked right into the snake pit. She was the host so she had about 10 people over for lunch. I was putting the stuff in the back of my friends truck and I was not out there 2 minutes when they all came out and wanted to know how I was doing. These are the same people who have ignored me forever. I was very leery(sp?). I told them I was doing great. One of the bitches asked well what happened when you went to court? That's the real reason they wanted to talk to me is because they read my name in the newspaper. Over NYE my friends and I were arrested for public intoxication. The idiots could have asked my mom. It was almost like they wanted to rub in the fact that I had been arrested and that if I was still going to KH this would have not happened. I told them it was no big deal. It was a mistermeanor, plead no contest paid my fine and went on my way. The judge even told us he was glad we were not driving.

Then another bitch said I would be so humilated. Then I said it was funny as hell. In reality I was scared to death at the time because I have never been arrested.

Then one of the older adults said well I hear your graduating from college this spring. I was like yes I am. Then they said I heard you went on vacation to Las Vegas. I said yes and did lots of gambling, drinking, and went to clubs. You could see the disapproval on their faces. Then they said my mom was really worried about me and they invited me to go to KH with them!!! I declined. Then an older pioneer said are you really happy? I said I am very happy. My life would be perfect if your org did away with shunning. Total silence and they all walked away. I yelled what no good bye!! I'm insulted. Pricks!!

I really think they thought I was miserable or something and wanted to get in my business and judge me as usual. This will spread thru the KH like wildfire. I am so sick of the witnesses. I can't go to the post office or Wal-Mart w/o running into them. I run into them all the time. Well I plan to move far away this summer. Now I have given them a reason to shun me!!

• happyout
    happyout

I know what you mean. When I first did my fade, and ran into people, they were always checking out my tummy ( I gained a little weight, so of course, I must be pregnant) or asking me all sorts of questions like, "what's wrong? " and saying things like "I thought you were smarter than this". I just wanted to kick them. As a matter of fact, at my Dad's funeral (and he was DEFINITELY not a witness) one older lady, she's like in her 80's or something, actually came through the receiving line and told me "Now you know you need to do better". I was mournng my father, and pregnant, and did not feel like that line of crap, so I pushed her out of my face. Literally. My husband caught her, and was just shocked at me. I laugh about it now, I bet she doesn't talk crap to me again anytime soon

• Mulan
    Mulan

It sounds like you handled yourself very well. I am amazed at the nerve of these people. It would be tempting to say "what are you really asking me?" Or, "why are you asking me that question?" Just to make them uncomfortable too.

• unbeliever
    unbeliever

I would much rather tell them off Mulan.

Not many people can say they told off 10 JW's in one day.........or maybe they can.........

• minimus
    minimus

Since you seem to run into the Witnesses so often, why not approach them first and ask them, "How are YOU doing? You look sick. Is everything alright? OR....How are the "friends" doing since all that pedophile stuff was exposed on national TV? Did you feel betrayed when the United Nations disassociated the Society from its status?"..........These types of questions will put THEM on the defensive.

• mustang
    mustang

In a similar vein, I talked at length to my non-JW cousin this summer. The occasion was after my Dad had to be hospitalized. She functions as an informal "family historian" and keeps track of everybody for purposes of reunions and such.

She wanted to know about the effects that the religion had had on my branch of the family. I told her to the nth degree all the sordid details. This included how my father had driven all other members of our immediate family to distraction over "the Troof" (tm). He has also insured the family of being totally dysfunctional in the process, at least in regard to dealing with each other.

She then proceeded to tell me how these things had affected or been perceived by other branches of the family. Her questions, thoughts and reactions were genuine and sincere; I could feel real empathy, concern and love from her manner.

(This is unlike my father, who turns questions into interrogations and then lectures and finally demands that you follow the religion. It's always the same pattern.)

She finally asked if I was happy. I replied that I was very happy. Further, I would be "tickled pink" if my father would SIMPLY LEAVE ME ALONE. (Until I put my foot down, he called every 2 weeks for a session of interrogation, browbeating, preaching and demands.)

The beauty of this one is that it gets back to Dad, as well as the entire "super set" of the family. And it has always been his project to convert/drag some more of them into the fold. :)

What a climax to his drama: the entire cluster of about twenty or thirty families getting the message of how messed up JW's are, if they stick to their foolishness.

Indeed, Why don't JW's just mind their own business?

Mustang

Edited by - mustang on 13 January 2003 20:20:50

• johnny cip
    johnny cip

yes i agree with minimus, bang them out first... i always look foward to seeing the jw's in the street or market.. even better when they are in the fs.. in fact i go looking for them. i waste no time exposing that rotten spritual food they teach... they hate when they are handing out wt's or preaching at the train station when i blow up their sells pitch and tell the reciever of the mag don't forget to ask them about the 37 times the wt said the world was to end...etc. I always stop the truck and make them pay for ,as long as they can take it... i say give them NO QUARTER!!!!!JOHN

• SLOAN
    SLOAN

Amen to Minimus!!! Good Idea!

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

I think you handled their intrusiveness much better than I would have. I would have told them to taking flying leap orsomthin like that. Cheers for handling the "interrogation" with grace and dignity.

PS loved the what no good bye line

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit