JWs in pop culture

by jackal 8 Replies latest jw friends

• jackal
    jackal

Hey,

I'm new to this board. I'ts nice to be able to jump into an ongoing discussion among like-minded people. Too bad this wasn't around 20 years ago, when I was newly DF'd and feeling like a freak. Mostly, the JWs seem like a bad dream now, except that my parents are still living the nightmare.

I'm a big music fan, and every once in a while I've see JW references sneaking into pop culture. For example, there's an album titled "Millions Now Living Will Never Die" by the band Tortoise. It's all instrumental (pretty cool stuff, actually), so there's no overt reference to JWs. I'm guessing they just saw the phrase somewhere and liked it. There's also (or used to be) a band called Jehovah's Waitresses (ha ha). Has anyone come across other references out there in popculture land?

• email
    email

WELCOME to the board Jackal!!

Good post... I didn't know there was a song with that name... pretty cool... I'll see if I can find it in the web and download it...

Thanks

• meadow77
    meadow77

H to the izO V to the IzA. I am telling you JZ must have been a hova.

• happyout
    happyout

I know Ja Rule was raised a witness. I've always wondered about JZ, but haven't been able to find anything about it.

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

Don't forget Bob Dylan's "All Along the Watchtower."

Welcome to the Forum.

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman
    Don't forget Bob Dylan's "All Along the Watchtower."

Supposedly, that song was not about the JW Watchtower, but was based on Isaiah 21 (which is where Russell originally got the title for his magazine). I've often wondered, though, whether Bob didn't write it after a couple of JW's showed up at his door and left a few mags with him...

• razorMind
    razorMind

H to the izO V to the IzA. I am telling you JZ must have been a hova.

LOL, you are so right there. Every five minutes on a song, "'HOV-AAAH!!!" this and "HOVE" that.

I've read articles where rapper Eve reminisces about going out in field service, and I think rapper DMX used to be one, too. (which would probably explain why he had a mini-breakdown on stage once) j/k

Had no IDEA that Mr. Murda, Inc. was once a Dub, though...now that is funny.

Edited by - razorMind on 14 January 2003 0:35:54

Edited by - razorMind on 14 January 2003 0:38:33

• ignored_one
    ignored_one

The Eels did a song called Jehova's Witness.

Ignored One.

• Matty
    Matty

A reggae band from the 70's called "The Wailing Souls" released a song a long long time ago called "They Don't Know Jah". The lyrics went "Some say they Jehovah's Witness, Some say they are Adventist, Some say they are Anglican - Me, I'm a Rasta-Man!" Kewl!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit