what a difference a year makes

by blindfool 9 Replies latest jw friends

• blindfool
    blindfool

I'm a month away from my 1 year anniversary with JW.com!

This time last year I was working at a job I hated, arguing with my wife all the time about the WT, and just not sure what I could do about it.

I recieved some good advice from Randy Waters of freeminds.org (he probably doesn't even remember it) right about this time last year. I was really concerned about the things that my wife and children were being taught by the WT society. Anyway, Randy convinced me that everything woud be alright.

I started reading and posting things on this forum and was amazed at the people I came into contact with. I recieved more good advice and encouragement. I learned a lot of things I never knew about the WT. The Dateline show became a major event to look forward to, and I looked for a way to get my wife to watch it with me.

Before this, my wife would throw up an emotional wall if I said anything negative about the WTBTS. When I found out a definate date for the show, I made sure we didn't make plans for the night and I told my wife about the show. She agreed to watch the show, just to see what lies would be told. The Dateline program really helped to break down that emotional wall. Now she saw for herself a WT policy that protected chlid molesters. The video of the convicted molester out in field service was enough to make my wife realize that something was not right.

Prior to Dateline, my wife always felt guilty if she missed an assembly or a Sunday meeting. She didn't make it to the meetings during the week very often, but the Sunday meeting was a must. After Dateline, we didn't go to a meeting for months.

When I realized the affect the Dateline show was having, I suggested that we start a Bible study at our home on Sunday mornings. No Watchtower or Awake magazines, just the Bible. We started out reading Galatians then moved into Romans. We are using different translations of the Bible including the Living Bible and the Good News Bible and of course the NWT.

Before, my wife didn't feel like she could confide in me about doubts she might have about the WTBTS. She kept those thoughts to herself. Now we are talking about all of her feelings. She has really started opening up to me about the way she feels. I feel like its important for me to understand how hard it is for her to open up to someone about her doubts.

I think the best news of all is that my wife is beginning to understand that Gods love is free. The guilt she felt for not going in field service or making it to a certain amount of meetings is disapearing. She is really starting to understand the grace of God, and in truth, that is what I really wanted in the first place. She is still tied to the WT because she has so many family members there. But, I am just happy that she can live her life without worring that she isn't doing enough for God.

And finally, the other news.I found a job I really like. The money is better than I've made in a long time. The downside is I don't have much time to post on this forum. I do read a lot of the posts, but I just don't post myself much anymore.

So, I'd just wanted to thank everyone here. Joy2bfree and hubby are a great inspiration to me, and JT really keeps me thinking. A lot of people here have made it posible for me to help my family see the grace of God, and to help me realize what is realistic for me to expect from my wife.

THANKS EVERYONE!!!

Edited by - blindfool on 13 January 2003 11:22:22

• Francois
    Francois

Great post. And good family management if you wanna call it that.

Slowly, slowly, we will keep nudging the WTBTS house of cards until that sucker falls over. I can't wait.

And the JWs think site like this are impotent. Your post proves the opposite.

You're a good man and fine shepherd for your family. I'm impressed.

francois

• Witch Child
    Witch Child

Wow. That is excellent about your wife! I am so happy for you both and I hope she will continue to examine the wt with eyes wide open. Best of luck to you both and...

Bright Blessings
    ~Witch

• email
    email

Good post...

You find inspiration in other people as well as other people (like me) find inspiration in you and your posts...

I'm glad things have worked out for you...

Edited by - email on 13 January 2003 11:43:14

• TR
    TR

Blindfool,

What a great story! This is great news!

Freeminds was instrumental in freeing MY mind from the WTS also.

Randy Watters has a done an immeasurable amount of good for people enslaved to the WTS over the years.

TR

• ESTEE
    ESTEE

Blindfool,

Awwww, I'm feeling really glad that you are feeling happier with yourself and your situation in the past year. You sound like you are a very patient and understanding man. That is wonderful!

And I'm especially glad that you and your wife are working together and communicating better about religion. That must feel really nice. A plus for the marriage, I'm sure!

Love,

ESTEE

• DIAMOND
    DIAMOND

Fantastic. I hope all goes well with you and your wife. I'm in the same situation and I hope one day I can bring my wife over to the dark side.LOL.

Randy also helped me out in my beginning stages and I'm sure he has no idea who I am. But I will always be appreciative of his kind words and help. Good luck.

Diamond

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

I'm really glad things are going so well, my friend. A year makes a big difference. My last year of Bethel was like that: started out scary and exciting (with all the GB fools acting like children, banning everyone that dare question them), then I commenced studying Romans and Galatians with other Bethelites and slowly my eyes were opened. That gave me the strength and wisdom to understand the Bible the way it was meant to be read, and I began to feel independently comfortable, not needing the organization. Then I got up strength enough to leave, knowing I had no guilty conscience or qualms about what I was doing. Just to make sure, when I got back to Calif. I let htem reapooint me as an elder, but after a few months it was a farce and I surprised the other olders with a letter of resignation and an expression of outrage at what they had done. Big change for a little over a year! 22 years later I still change, but life is better. That's the wasy it should be.

Randy Watters

My letter of indignation to the GB circa 1981, a year before Ray's book came out:

http://www.freeminds.org/history/whathapp.htm

• ElwinRansom
    ElwinRansom

AWESOME!!!!

That's great, great news. Thanks for posting. Please keep everyone informed --- I'm sure there will be lots more good news coming from you and your wife. May God continue to bless you both.

Edited by - ElwinRansom on 13 January 2003 14:36:11

• Nancy K
    Nancy K

What a beautiful commentary to wake up to today...Much appreciation to you..Patience certainly is a virtue! Nancy K

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit