How many doctrines exposed by Ray Franz in Crisis of Conscience have since been changed by "New Light"?

by Wasanelder Once 6 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once
    I read CoC long ago. Those of you more able to recall the text, I ask: How many doctrines did Ray Franz expose / comment on in Crisis of Conscience have been done away with due to "New Light"? I think it would be interesting to see if Ray called BS on doctrines that were later changed because the Governing Body also realized they were BS. Enlighten me please.
  • LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Great OP.

Obviously the generation of 1914 has been done away with, but off the top of my head I'm not sure if Ray Franz criticised it in CoC. He sounds like the kind of person that would stress "we don't know the hour or time", etc.

Sorry I'm not much help to you - I think this one may be for Cofty or Blondie to answer

• StarTrekAngel
    StarTrekAngel
    I don't think any of them have actually become new light in the fashion that Ray Franz would have liked. By that I mean that no one can go back and say that he needs to be re instated postmortem. The generation teaching has not been done away with, just changed into the overlapping generation. So if anything, it got worst.
  • steve2
    steve2
    Yes, Ray spoke at length about the 1914 doctrine, more so in the follow-up book, "In Search of Christian Freedom". He anticipated the removal of the decades-long byline for the Awake! which said the generation alive in 1914 would still be alive when Jehovah brings an end to this wicked system of things. He also described there being a vote among the GB whether to change the 1914 doctrine but the two-thirds in-favor requirement was not met.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot
    I forget if this was covered in his book Crisis of Conscience or his other book In Search of Christian Freedom but he criticized the superfluous use of type antitype doctrine. It took them a long time after those books were written to drop the overuse of that doctrine.
  • OneFingerSalute
    OneFingerSalute

My memory is about as long as, well you know. . .but I think I remember reading that he had some questions about the teaching that the FDS was all anointed on earth as taught then, and that it would reasonably be only a small number, perhaps the governing body, and basically had that idea shot down?

I am sure someone with better memory than mine will remember and verify, or correct me if I am wrong.

• steve2
    steve2
    OneFingerSalute - yes you're right - I think he even suggested that, from a Biblical perspective, it is highly likely the faithful and discreet slave was just an analogy to illustrate a point - not a prophecy about who would lead his followers several centuries later.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit