The Growth of Christianity bad news for WTS

by Thirdson 8 Replies latest jw friends

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

I don’t know if anyone else here has read this week’s (4/16/01) copy of Newsweek. There is a major article on the growth of Christianity in South America, Asia and in particular Africa. Many of the Christian sects bear little resemblance to conservative Western Churches but are very evangelical, charismatic with often a blend of local spiritual beliefs added to traditional Christian dogma and centered around a local spiritual leader. The growth in some countries is phenomenal with increases well over 100% in the past 20 years.

My thought on this; the WTS growth in recent years is coming mainly from third world countries. The third world country growth for JW’s is slower than that of general Christianity. The WTS losing out in those countries too, not just the West. The article in Newsweek suggests that the religious growth in third world countries can be attributed to some degree to association of western religion with the religion of the world’s greatest power – the United States of America. Even worse for the WTS, an American religion, that it can’t get converts as fast as general western Christianity.

Thirdson

'To avoid criticism, say nothing, do nothing, be nothing'

• COMF
    COMF

It's also noteworthy that the WBTS for years highlighted dwindling membership in churches as "drying up of the waters" in fulfillment of the antitype of Babylon's overthrow by Jesus as the greater Cyrus. Cyrus supposedly conquered Babylon by damming the river and sneaking into Babylon via the empty riverbeds.

Oops... must have been a dam break. What is that antitypical of?

COMF

• JT
    JT

comf

excellent point on the drying up routine that wt has used for used looks like the only drying up are the wt numbers
    i read the article it was an excellentarticle on the growth of religion totally blowing wt PROPCHECY out of the water again

great point guys

james

• larc
    larc

Although the growth rate for the JWs is on the decline everywhere, I think their numbers over the time span of 20 years would be just as favorable. 100% over 20 years is an average of about 3.5% per year. The JWs have done that well or better. Before you think I am a JW apologist, read the thread I started, called "JW decline."

• Flip
    Flip

Thirdson:

The article in Newsweek suggests that the religious growth in third world countries can be attributed to some degree to association of western religion with the religion of the world’s greatest power – the United States of America.

By grasping “Christianity”, maybe one has the perception there is the potential of “tapping” into the conduit of western wealth rather than the limited earthly opportunity compared to following fundamentalist Islam?

Possibly the “third world” is beginning to clue into the farcical reality of how lucrative “Christianity” is.

Flip

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

Larc,

The WTS growth rate might be equal to if not better than general Christianity in some areas. However, in terms of numbers, the increase according to Newsweek suggests a dramatic change in the Christian population. From its graphs:

Latin America 250 million to 475 million (1970 to 2000).
    Asia <100 million to +300 million (1970 to 2000)
    Africa 110 million to +320 million (1970 to 2000)

I don't think the WTS can claim anything special about its growth compared to these figures. If anything "Jehovah is speeding it up" everywhere and the WTS only gets the crumbs.

Thirdson

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

Flip,

You are quite right.

I have read another former JW explain that in Latin America many JW converts are attracted to the religion because of the American and hence "wealth" association. People will believe anything, even mistaken beliefs (translation/ communication difficulties) just to be a part.

Thirdson

• larc
    larc

Thirdson,

You are switching from percents to absolute numbers. As I wrote before, their percents are comparable.

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

Larc,

I said that as well.

Thirdson

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit