DRUMLINE.....any band geeks here?

by LDH 9 Replies latest social entertainment

• LDH
    LDH

OK, I'll admit it. I've seen it twice, and I'm going to see it again Saturday.

I even take my daughter and her friends as cover (LOL).

Some of you know my daughter is on the drumline at her school, and next year she'll be stepping up to the big time as she joins a nationally ranked Marching Band in the area. She happens to play snare drum, which is the instrument featured in the movie and DAMN she is good. (She also played the trumpet for five years but that's besides the point.)

I really liked this movie, and it's SHOCKED the filmworld because they thought the film would appeal to a young urban (read: black) audience. Both times I've gone, the audience has been 90% white parents (probably band geeks in high school, LOL)

The great part is that she (daughter) saw that even in college, music is about having the discipline to learn your craft. If you can't discipline yourself, others will discipline you.

Anyhow, here is a link of a movie review where it was rated A- in the New York Times.

There is no sex, very few swear words and a few really humorous moments.

Lisa

Parent of a Paradiddler Class

• LDH
    LDH

OK sorry. forgot to include this link.

• TR
    TR

My boy Matt and his buddies are THE band geeks of their high school. Matt plays trumpet in Marching, Jazz, pep band as well as for the school plays and. whatever. These kids know how to PLAY! DAMN they are good! They travelled with the basketball team to state championships the last three years in a row. They swept all titles in marching last year in the region when they did the theme from "Gladiator".

It's fun having a band geek for a kid, huh Lisa. Great job at keeping your kid involved!

We'll have to check that flick out. Sounds fun.

TR

• xenawarrior
    xenawarrior

another parent of a band geek here. My 14 year old daughter has played the sax for the past 5 years and is now also learning the piano. Unfortunately, her new band teacher is a 2nd year teacher and is driving everyone nuts- the parents included and has successfully put a wet blanket on many student's desire to play. She's on a power trip and it's not about the music- it's about her rules. And this is the instructor she'd have for all of high school. My daughter really loves playing though so next year she won't be taking band at school- she'll be getting private lessons. They will be worth all of the expense. She really wants to move on to the soprano sax and with more of the one on one instruction I think she'll be playing an instrument into adulthood.

I'm living vicariously through her with this too. My mom bought a piano and she played well. We all took lessons and we all hated it. She gave us the option to quit and we all did. I wish I had stayed with it.

Thanks for the info on that movie Lisa- sounds like one for my daughter and I to see together.

XW

• asortafairytale
    asortafairytale

I was a HUGE band geek in school. I played the tenor sax for 8 years in school...and I still can't stop! Marching band, pep band, concert band, symphonic band, parades...it was so much fun! In '99, we went to Pontiac for the State Championships, and marched pre-game and halftime, and we also went to Toronto and Florida for competitions...despite what most people think, it takes a lot of dedication to be a true band geek.

Adrienne

• LDH
    LDH

(((((((((((((((ALL OF YOU)))))))))))))))))))

Yes, please take your children to see it. You will love seeing it together. It is a GREAT family movie.

XW, I feel ya on the living vicariously deal. Everytime I see her perform DAMN it blows me away. And just the opportunity to be with her high-achieving peers without having to "Witness" to them.... well, there are no words for the way that makes me feel.

Many times I have been moved close to tears.

Lisa

Bad Associations Spoil Useful Habits, Class

• nita6368
    nita6368

My son plays the trumpet in the junior high marching and jazz band. I remeber when he started playing and I was so excited when I actually recognized "kumbuya" when he was playing it. Now after 2 years he blows me away. When he started playing it I thought it was strange for a kid to want to play the trumpet, but he said he liked the sound of it. It has been a great experience for us!

• jesussaves
    jesussaves

I am a band geek and proud! It's funny, the only reason my mom let me be in band is because it was mandatory for music department students. I would've gotten an F in concert band if I wasn't in marching band. I kind of felt like a normal kid being able to go to the football games!

• xenawarrior
    xenawarrior

Lisa:

Many times I have been moved close to tears.

Right there with ya!! I get like that too. Thanks for sharing that - I thought it was just me being all sappy- glad I have company !!!

XW

• SworeOffJah
    SworeOffJah

Ahhh, those trips home from the out-of-town games, snuggled in the back of the bus with a young lovely from the clarinet section... ahhh... the football team never knew what they were missing. :)

Thanks for the notice, Lisa. Never heard of it, but I'll look for it now!

(The Lord would have been proud of how I taught those winsome willing woodwinders to call on his name)

Edited by - SworeOffJah on 8 January 2003 23:11:27

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit