commentary on the letter of James?

by ffeidrik 6 Replies latest jw friends

• ffeidrik
    ffeidrik

When i was loyal JW my favorite book was the "Commentary on the letter of James". Only later i heard that it was written by someone who later became "apostate". Is it true?

Edited by - ffeidrik on 6 January 2003 14:15:10

• TD
    TD

Yes. Edward Dunlap, who wrote both Commentary On The Letter Of James and Choosing The Best Way Of Life was disfellowshipped in the early 80's purge

• metatron
    metatron

The Commentary on James was written by Ed Dunlap , who was treated in a shameful,
    shabby manner by the Watchtower. I say shameful only because shame is what a normal,
    non-sociopathic human being would feel - not the cold blooded reptiles who railroaded
    him. They showed a 70 year old man and his wife the exit door. He lived in poverty
    thereafter until he died - a true Christian martyr, if there ever was one.

I believe the cause was 'apostacy' - because he read the scriptures and applied too
    many of them equally to the 'other sheep' - relative to the 'anointed'.

metatron

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I dont know, but I was petty surprised to discover that my old favourite book "Aid To Bible Understanding" was largely compiled by Ray Franz.

That book is the foundation for the current Bible Dictionary and major reference tool "Insight on the Scripures" .Much of the text is a straight lift from the "Aid Book"

I wonder know that the dubs dont generally know of the Franz connection.

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

It was always my favourate book growing up. The story is covered in CofC.

• borgfree
    borgfree
    That book is the foundation for the current Bible Dictionary and major reference tool "Insight on the Scripures" .Much of the text is a straight lift from the "Aid Book"

I think the only reason they came out with the "Insight" books was to, somewhat, remove the Ray Franz connection.

Borgfree

• minimus
    minimus

I also heard (seriously) that since the disease AIDS was so prevalent, they didn't want anyone making an unsavory connection.....But we all know it was because of the real connection to Ray Franz.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit