Dad's Circuit Assembly

by jws 4 Replies latest jw friends

• jws
    jws

My dad just went to his circuit assembly this weekend - a 2-day one.

He reports that they used to split the circuit into 3 groups over 3 weekends, now they split it into 2 because it's more efficient. I tried to suggest that it's because so many people are leaving, but he sticks with what was probably presented as the party line. That this is more efficient. It means they have to heat it less weekends, use less electricity, and so on.

I try telling him, the place used to be full. Cramming 3 groups of people into 2 weekends means there's 50% more people at each weekend. If there weren't less people, how would they fit? Where would they sit?

Then he changed the subject.

The same old BS. Every time they have to comprimise because they've lost some battle (be it membership numbers or taxation or whatever), they always put some spin on it to make it seem like it's some brilliant idea they came up with to improve things.

• Gizmo
    Gizmo

Now jws,

If your dad thought quickly enough, he would have suggested the following, and made the comment, this is true and it's good because it shows how close we are to the end.

He may yet...LOL so be ready for a counter ok?

New American Standard Douay-Rheims Darby
    Matthew
    Matthew 24
    11 "Many false prophets will arise and will mislead many. And many false prophets shall rise, and shall seduce many. and many false prophets shall arise and shall mislead many;
    12 "Because lawlessness is increased, most people's love will grow cold. And because iniquity hath abounded, the charity of many shall grow cold. and because lawlessness shall prevail, the love of the most shall grow cold;
    13 "But the one who endures to the end, he will be saved. But he that shall persevere to the end, he shall be saved. but he that has endured to the end, *he* shall be saved.
  • Guest 77
    Guest 77

Good one Gizmo, yes, if his dad was on top things that's one of the things he would have said.

Guest 77

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

My mom's circuit was disbanded, and she now has to drive 120 miles to where I live (argh!?!).

Anyway, her assembly (last weekend in Dec) was so packed that there were chairs placed overtop of the baptismal pool cover. People were hanging from the rafters, and parking in the ditches. The place was seriously over capacity.

I think they will do anything to save a few bucks. Fewer assemblies mean less rental (my mom's original circuit used rented facilities, she now goes to the assembly hall), as well as fewer costs for the bethel speaker. If they can cram as many, or nearly as many into fewer weekends, the profit rises. Besides, if the place is full, it looks like they are growing.

So, if a bunch of seniors have to drive an extra hour and stay in a hotel, who cares?

• JH
    JH

Each time I meet a witness who dares to talk to me, I ask him if so and so still attends meetings? I ask him that because I know so and so doesn't attend anymore, and I just want to rub it in.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit