My mold is growing, is your religion?

by whyhideit 4 Replies latest jw friends

• whyhideit
    whyhideit

I grew up in a coastal community. In doing such, I had a very good understanding on the growth of mildew. Why do I say that? Well in area of high humidity, it is very common to get mildew growing on just about anything. For example, I would hang something on the wall and then take it down later, only to find that mildew had grown on the wall in the exact shape of the object that was hanging. What I wonder though, is the mildew growth a blessing of Jehovah? After all, are we not told by the society that any growth, small or large, is only possible if Jehovah's blessing is behind it? Take for example the yearly report that just came out in the Watchtower, that stated a 2% growth worldwide in the Jehovah's Witness religion. The indication from the reports summary, is that the society sees such a growth as an indication of Jehovah speeding up the work in the last days. Yet to make a statement, should require a comparison to other religions growth in the same time frame. For example; Would you accept that the Honda is the fastest selling automobile, based on a report that only showed the sales of the Honda brand? Would you invest in a stock that is showing growth, without first seeing if it's growth is proportionate to other products and businesses in the same category? Would you allow your friend to say they are the best friend you have, without comparing what other friends have done for you as well? I think the obvious answer would be, "no, I want more information to come to a informed decision?" So how are other religion of the human race doing? Are we seeing a mass exit from other religions to the Jehovah's Witnesses, to the point that a noticeable swing is making itself known?

Religion Date Founded Sacred Texts Members % of World
    Christianity 30 CE The Bible 2,015 million 33% (dropping) 5
    Islam 622 CE Qur'an & Hadith 1,215 million 20% (growing) 5
    No religion * No date None 925 million 15% (dropping) 5
    Hinduism 1,500 BCE The Veda 786 million 13% (stable) 5
    Buddhism 523 BCE The Tripitaka 362 million 6% (stable) 5
    Atheists No date None 211 million 4%
    Chinese folk rel. 270 BCE None 188 million 4%
    New Asian rel. Various Various 106 million 2%
    Tribal Religions Prehistory Oral tradition 91 million 2%
    Other Various Various 19 million <1%
    Judaism No consensus Torah, Talmud 18 million <1%
    Sikhism 1500 CE Guru Granth Sahib 16 million <1%
    Shamanists Prehistory Oral Tradition 12 million <1%
    Spiritism 7 million <1%
    Confucianism 520 BCE Lun Yu 5 million <1%
    Baha'i Faith 1863 CE Most Holy Book 4 million <1%
    Jainism 570 BCE Siddhanta, Pakrit 3 million <1%
    Shinto 500 CE Kojiki, Nohon Shoki 3 million <1%
    Zoroastrianism No consensus Avesta 0.2 million <1%

Now something that comes to mind to me, is what about Christianity? Christianity is a broad term that covers everything from Catholic, to nondemonational. So is Christianity declining as a whole, or are certian parts seeing growth. If their is growth, which Christian church is seeing the most?

Within Christianity, not all denominations have the same growth rate. Some annual growth rates are:

bulletPentecostals: 8.1%
    bulletEvangelicals: 5.4%;
    bulletAll Protestants: 3.3%
    bulletRoman Catholics and Others: 1.3%

Now if we look at the largest religions of Christianity in the United States, we see the following.

The Catholic Church 63,683,030
    Southern Baptist Convention15,960,308
    The United Methodist Church8,340,954
    The Church of God in Christ5,499,875
    The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints5,208,827
    Evangelical Lutheran Church in America5,125,919
    National Baptist Convention of America, Inc.3,500,000
    Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)3,485,332
    Assemblies of God2,577,560
    The Lutheran ChurchMissouri Synod (LCMS)2,554,088
    Progressive National Baptist Convention, Inc.2,500,000
    African Methodist Episcopal Church2,500,000
    National Missionary Baptist Convention of America2,500,000
    Episcopal Church2,311,398
    Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America1,500,000
    Pentecostal Assemblies of the World, Inc.1,500,000
    Churches of Christ1,500,000
    American Baptist Churches in the U.S.A.1,436,909
    United Church of Christ1,377,320
    African Methodist Episcopal Zion Church1,296,662
    Baptist Bible Fellowship International1,200,000
    Christian Churches and Churches of Christ1,071,616
    The Orthodox Church in America1,000,000
    Jehovah's Witnesses998,166
    Church of God (Cleveland, Tenn.)895,536

So when I look at these charts and see that many religions of the world and country are seeing growth, far larger then the Jehovah's Witnesses, I can not help but wonder? Why is growth always credited to a blessing of Jehovah, when so many other religions are seeing equal or larger growth? To me it comes down to the mildew thought again. You see mildew is not flying around the air looking for the best place to grow. No mildew grows where ever it has the right elements and environment to do so. If the climate is moist and the area is close enough to let it grow, it does. The same is with the Jehovah's Witnesses. If a person is found that likes that level of control, and is willing to accept their philosophies, they will see some growth. However, it should always be noted that their growth pales in comparison to other religions, both in and out of Christianity. If I saw this same trend in buying a car, purchasing stocks or deciding which friend has done the most. I would see the Jehovah's Witnesses as a underachiever, that is not keeping up with other products and people in their same category. The religion has affectively stalled out in a climate that is proving prosperous for other religions.

Edited by - whyhideit on 5 January 2003 2:20:56

• happysunshine
    happysunshine

Nicely done. But what if they say that the tribulation would have a a "narrow gate", therefor the small growth. Any speeding up is remarkable because its against all odds. What say thee?

• LovesDubs
    LovesDubs

If there is one thing the JWs are known for, its having an explanation for ALL events. When the numbers go down, they quote "in the last days the greater number will be cooling off" or some such garbage, and where there is growth, "Jehovah is blessing the work" or "they are streaming to the mountain of Jehovah" and where the work is blocked, the residents there all deserve to die because of "community responsibility" for daring to LIVE in a country whose government blocks Jehovah GOD! The only real growth the JWs have now is in nonindustrialized nations and in places where the people dont have access to internet or outside sources of information to warn them about the JWs. The US is a DRIED UP source of new recruits for them...where HEADQUARTERS is nonetheless. Except for 911 which fed all religions, they wouldnt have any growth at all this year.

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

Why,

It's early for me here in Cailf. it's going to take a while for my remaining three or four brain cells to absorb this delicious coffee I'm drinking. So I'm not going to respond to your post directly. I do want to say "thank you, though for such a well thought out and beautifully presented post".

JamesT

• whyhideit
    whyhideit
    Nicely done. But what if they say that the tribulation would have a a "narrow gate", therefor the small growth. Any speeding up is remarkable because its against all odds. What say thee?

Well, there are religions seeing less growth then the Jehovah's Witnesses. Perhaps their gate is more narrow. How do we define the proper size to fit the term narrow gate?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit