Mom just bought life insurance

by La Capra 6 Replies latest jw friends

• La Capra
    La Capra

Recent bizarre family events have led my mom a 35-year witness (she's in her mid 60s) and my dad, the unbelieving mate (he's in his early 70s) to consider putting their "affairs in order". Neither are ill in any way, but my mom's mother is not doing too well, leaving her care to be managed by my mother.

When Grandma's husband died awhile back, the affairs were not prepared adequately, leaving a lot of headaches for those of us required to handle things. The end result is that my mom, who never believed I would be finishing 3rd grade in this system of things, (I am 35, I have a college degree, am currently successful in my career and pursuing a law degree), told me on the phone this morning that she has just purchased a life insurance policy. What is even more interesting is that she has informed me of her wishes-to be cremated-and she has arranged for that already.

The most amazing part is that after my father, I am listed as the second beneficiary on the policy. I am her only apostate offspring. I have one sibling I assume to be in "adequate standing" in the borg and another sibling who wisely blew the whole thing off at the age of about 13-pretended for 5 more years and got the hell out of the house as soon as possible. When Mom explained why she was doing it this way, she said that I was the only one who she thought could handle paying the final expenses without falling apart and could be trusted to fairly divide the remaining proceeds of the policy amongst her three offspring. I guess this also means that the borg is not the second beneficiary after my Dad.

When all is said and done, I am the only one of her children that has not majorly f***ed up in the "life skills" department of being a decent human being. It surprises me that she possibly considered that and thinks of me as her most responsible, reliable and perhaps ethical child-the only apostate.

But life insurance, I guess that means she has finally given up on seeing the new system in her life time. She really believed in 1975-I was just old enough to remember. She also really believed in the 1914 generation thing, which finally sent me running when I turned 19. I sure wish we could get those 35 years back. I am almost ready to ask her about the generation thing, because when I left in 1987, it was still full on taught that the 1914 generation would not pass away. As far as she knows, this is what I still think they teach.

Happy Saturday to you all-Shoshana

• RandomTask
    RandomTask

Its sad to see all these witnesses who thought that they would see some promised Armageddon (which is sick in its own way) growing old and having to face death. Missing out on living a normal life for a lie. At least your mom is facing reality, which is good. It says a lot about the state of the people still left in the organization. Their "faith" isn't what it once was, reality does get more and more obvious over the years, just as their governing body becomes more senile, the "corporation" is taken over by lawers and the "magic" is gone. Certainly the Golden Years of the Witnesses that were the 50s and 60s and even the 80s are over. Its just sad that so many threw away their lives, because in my opinion, you only get one.

• Witch Child
    Witch Child

Wow LaCapra,

that is amazing! I really love it that your mom picked you out as the beneficiary because you are the one who won't fall apart and will be fair. She must be very clear sighted for a jw. Wonders never cease.

~Witch

• COMF
    COMF

Very good, and very good news. Thanks for telling about it.

Live, mom! Die, 'tower!

• Valis
    Valis

This has always been an area that comes back to bite the dubbies on the ass. Especially the ones that serve Jehoba their whole lives and find themselves at the bottom of a deep hole come life's end. My parents have always been in debt, will always be in debt and will have little to leave my sister w/Down's Syndrome for her future care. They never saved or considered what it would require for them to live out their remaining years in comfort. Or the fact that the descision to have a disabled child would require they have extra means of support. One can only assume as previously mentioned that the end they are waiting for never seems to come, only more bills, more expense, more effects of old age/sin (TM), and the slow distancing of themselves from my life. Where is Jehoba now and where will he be when they die in debt? I guess I forgot that his blessings come in the form of meetings 3 times a week instead...

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

I'm so glad your parents are finally doing the responsible thing. My JW mother didn't believe in "life insurance", and my dad really didn't either. But he used to have this "power play" thing he would do now and then, when some friend managed to sell him a policy or get him to do a formal Will. He was constantly changing his beneficiaries over the years in order to control people. It didn't work. I used to hate it when he'd come over and start in on telling me who was going to be "left out" this time. I refused to talk about it.

Anyway, he could never manage to keep the policies. If we had all the money that went down the drain over the years for these lapsed plans, I'm certain it would be no small amount. When he died, there was no policy, no life insurance benefits to pass along and no Will. Mom made certain that she shared a little bit with us and that was it. My dad had two small inheritances in his lifetime, and my mom had one. He blew off his and hers as well. And, as far as having a formal Will at the end, he didn't. He had only made his wishes known to mom, and she followed through with them.

He did realize that his life was ebbing away due to ill health, so he put everything in order before his death, which was a loving thing to do. He had made prior pre-paid arrangements for cremation with no memorial or funeral. His favorite saying was that he didn't come into this world with a cent, and that was the way he intended to go out... he must have forgotten how happy he was when he recieved his two inheritances.......

• garybuss
    garybuss

rt wrote:

Its sad to see all these witnesses who thought that they would see some promised Armageddon (which is sick in its own way) growing old and having to face death.

They are going to receive the very punishment they wish (ed) on their enemies (me) . . . . . death.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit