Xmas Gift: Home Wine Making Set

by Bendrr 4 Replies latest jw friends

• Bendrr
    Bendrr

I can't believe I forgot to post this! One of the gifts I got for Xmas was a home wine-making set. Merlot wine. I haven't started the project yet, I'm going to do a little research online first. See, there's this little packet of "oak flavor" powder to be added to the wine. I'd just as soon have the real thing.

Anyone here with any home-made wine experience? I'd like to find an actual small oak barrel to age the wine in, instead of stirring in some artificial flavoring.

I used to make home-made wine way back when I was a kid. My stepdad taught me how. I'd go pick blackberries and crush them and strain out the juice. Then add some sugar, put it up and let it ferment for several months. Wasn't the best in the world, but not bad for a 10 year old kid either.

I've always wanted to try my hand at wine-making and even beer-making. Looks like now I've got my chance.

Mike.

• moreisbetter
    moreisbetter

Hey, thats a great gift! I remember my parents always making wine and fermenting something. It was always interesting to watch the fermenting process. got me interested in chemistry. My dad made beer once from a kit & bottled it; sadly it wasn't very good Sorry, I don't have any knowledge to share, it just brought back memories. The oak flavor powder doesn't sound very appealing. I'm interested in how it all turns out. If I run across anything I'll let you know. Please keep us posted on your progress.

theresa

• WildHorses
    WildHorses

I wish I could help you, but I know nothing about wine making. I do however know someone who is going to get some homemade peach brandy for me the next time his friend makes a batch.

Let us all know how your wine turns out.

• Simon
    Simon

I used to do hime wine and beer making. It was quite fun.

Now I'm lazy and just buy it ready made from tesco

• Mac
    Mac

Bendrr,

Be sure to send me a bottle for evaluation purposes only! I'm sure you need feedback on your project!

mac, of the always willing to assist class

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit