Making wise use of magazines letter

by Saltheart Foamfollower 27 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Saltheart Foamfollower
    Saltheart Foamfollower

Hi all, Just got this letter (sorry about formatting - anyone clean it up?)

Christian Congregation
    of Jehovah’s Witnesses
    The Ridgeway, London, NW7 1RN Telephone: 020 8906 2211
    August 13, 2015
    TO ALL CONGREGATIONS
    Re: Making Wise Use of Our Magazines
    Dear Brothers:
    Millions of people worldwide appreciate the Bible study aids that are provided by “the
    faithful and discreet slave.” (Matt. 24:45) Much time, effort and funds are expended producing
    magazines and literature that helps many each year to “come to an accurate knowledge of truth.”
    —1 Tim. 2:4.
    It has, however, been noticed that in a number of congregations not all the magazines
    ordered are being used. In some instances, magazines have been allowed to build up, resulting in
    them being unused and ultimately wasted. What can be done to avoid wasting our valuable
    literature?
    When the current method of supplying magazines was introduced, this instruction was
    given: “Publishers should take only the number of magazines needed for the current week of
    activity in the ministry, not for the entire month.” Are we following that direction, or do we find
    that we are taking more than we need for the week? Please can we ask that all in the congregation
    give this matter careful consideration so as to reduce the amount of waste. A very large quantity of
    magazines are printed in many languages and it is hoped that these can all be used in the
    evangelizing work. Also, could we make more use of our electronic devices, helping interested
    persons use the jw.org website?
    What action can be taken if large quantities of magazines have built-up in the congregation
    or in our personal supply? First, the elders will make sure that the order is reduced immediately.
    However, even old magazines are still of value to the reader and a special effort should be made to
    place them with the public. Some suggestions of how this can be accomplished can be found in the
    March 2014 edition of Our Kingdom Ministry, page 3.
    We want our literature to achieve its intended purpose of reaching the heart of those wishing
    to come to know our heavenly Father. Therefore, may we all ensure that none of our literature is
    wasted and that we continue to make the best use of these valuable gifts from our generous God.
    —Jas. 1:17.
    Please be assured of our warm brotherly love and best wishes.
    Your brothers,
    PS to the body of elders:
    Please read out the above letter to the congregation at the first Service Meeting after receipt.
    Thereafter, it should be placed on the noticeboard.
    Re: Making Wise Use of Our Magazines
    August 13, 2015
    Page 2
    The following part of this PS should not be read to the congregation or placed on the noticeboard.
    It is the responsibility of the elders in each congregation to keep a regular check on the flow of magazines so that dedicated funds are not wasted by overprinting. For example, while taking part in public witnessing, many publishers are commendably imitating the methods shown on jw.org and this has reduced the amount of magazines being placed in this activity. However, this calls for a close monitoring of the magazines being used in this form of preaching. If it is found that many magazines are left over at the end of the month then this should be reflected in the congregation order and a reduction should be made. It is very easy to adjust the order either up or down on jw.org, but bear in mind it takes two to three months for the change to take effect.
    Therefore, please can we ask that all service overseers and magazine coordinators immediately and thoroughly re-appraise the magazine order for their congregation(s). If it is found that a number of magazines are being left over each month then a reduction of the congregations order can immediately be implemented.—See the direction in Literature and Magazine Request Guidelines (S-56) chapter 7, paragraph 4.

SF

• disposable hero of hypocrisy
    disposable hero of hypocrisy

Translation- we need all the ca$h we can for law suits, please stop using printed material.

Use your own money instead to buy expensive tablets that are no longer a 'striving after the world's latest technological fads', or 'a time wasting machination of Satan', rather, a valuable society-approved tool in the ministry.

• umbertoecho
    umbertoecho

I went to a meeting a few months ago and was refused a study magazine. I was with my devoted JW family and still no magazine was allowed. I thought it was very odd, not at all as it used to be. Lot's of people had their tablets and were studying the article via this way...

It used to be, that even if you couldn't get a mag, you would get a photo copy of the WT study.....Not so now.

• pepperheart
    pepperheart
    Yes i go to lots of carts in different citys and its all about saving money any way they can. Giving away piles of nine year old teaching books,trying to get the general public to go on line rather than take things in print not only do thay save the money for the paper and ink but also the food that the people at the print works eat and the cost of distribution.If there are 50 people that work in the print room and help to pick and pack the booklets if they have $10s worth of food each per week thats $500 in total
  • rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

They are looking to cost cut more and more.

Good.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus
    This was sent to the usa a few years ago
  • problemaddict 2
    problemaddict 2
    I don't know if there is anything to see here. its practical. Save money, use the website, be modern, don't waste mags and money. I don't know. seems fine.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot
    Can people still get the Watchtower and Awake magazine through standard mail subscriptions?
  • Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

When she was asked, didn't "Dr." Applewhite say she thought the ragazines were published twice a year?

Maybe they should take her suggestion and reduce publication to two issues per year. For two reasons:

1. It would save money and trees.
    2. At least one thing the "Dr." said before the ARC could be considered true.
  • JWdaughter
    JWdaughter
    I wonder if they worried about waste when everyone was paying (?) for each and every magazine before it left the counter and donating too? I remember my mom had hundreds of old WT's and AWAKES on 3 huge shelves above the w/d and more tucked into the attic. At some point she got rid of them (probably a fire hazard!) She now has a short pile in the house. Or she did. Haven't seen the house lately. Kind of a burden off my back!! The WT-speak is so old (and I recognize newer phrasing, too. The mentally diseased one came out recently:). And she has generations of it rolling off her tongue-she is a veritabe historical treasure of JW'yness since she was started off in WW2.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit