I was wondering something, could you answer me?

by whyhideit 4 Replies latest jw friends

• whyhideit
    whyhideit

The internet has been around over a decade now, and many of the posters on this site say they have been out less then that time. So what I was wondering, was when you were still active, did you ever go to a site like this one. A site like this, that had apostate information and posted references from publications that were forbidden for us to read? If so, what did you think? I went to a section on aol.com back in the mid-1990's and came across a message board for former Jehovah's Witnesses. I posted that I was active and wanted to know why people left. About 90% of the responses were messages meant to insult me, belittle me, and basically tell me what they thought of my current life. I remember at the time thinking, "Just like we were warned, these people are under the control of Satan." I did stay and respond to some though and in time a few kind people talked back and explained their choices in reasonable detail. The thing is, I always wonder, how many people read these boards in their discussions* and start thinking what I did? I have seen active Witnesses post here before, and to be honest I think we do very well in not insulting them like what happened to me. I do wonder though, how many just read and see the problems we have at times and go "Just like we were warned, these people are under the control of Satan." I am not saying they are right, I am only saying that I understand why they would say such a thing, because I understand the programming they are under. So before you exited, did you ever come to an APOSTATE site? If so, did you learn anything that made you question the organization? I know I did, but it took time.

*I would like to add, that any Witness being true to themselves, has to admit that battles of words happened in the congregation as much as in online boards. Some of them got just as heated, and in some cases punches were thrown and people were disfellowshiped.

Edited by - whyhideit on 31 December 2002 18:9:35

• Simon
    Simon

This is why I think it's so important that we discuss things with people instead of lamming them for their 'crazy' beliefs (which we used to share let's not forget!)

I know when I was leaving I found sites that were reasonable and well presented (information wise) such as www.freeminds.org and they were a lot more convincing that the rabid anti-JW type sites that, let's face it, people who have already left may think are brilliant but will not get read much by people starting out who, like you say, just think "yep, just like the WTS told me".

The first step is opening dialog with people.

• ApagaLaLuz
    ApagaLaLuz

I'm thankful that I DIDN'T have access to the internet when I was questioning things. I left because of my own doubts and research, with no influence. It made me more strogly conviced after finally coming upon sites like this. That way I KNEW that my thoughts and beliefs were genuine and not, once again, a product of being brainwashed.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

When I was in the bOrg, I peeked at a few apostate web sites...

It was a very intense experience to say the least! Excited, scared, angry, curious... my heart was racing and I could feel it pounding though my chest. I could hardly type or control my mouse because my hands were shaking and sweating. Like having sex for the first time... only being terrified at the same time.

When I would peek at a site, I would only do it for a few seconds... then my JW programming would take over and I would dismiss everything i saw on the site and promptly leave... making sure I cleared my browser's buffer and history incase another JW happened to dig around in my computer.

• Simon
    Simon

I found that I initially dismissed things and then, something would come up in a WT or I'd see it in an old publication and realise "it was true"

I think that's why it's important to make sure we have our facts right and accurate whenever possible because peopel are looking to rubbish the information by finding something inaccurate or false.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit