If Jesus Was Without Sin....

by Robdar 6 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Robdar
    Robdar

I was watching Discovery's program about Jesus. An interesting point was brought up: If Jesus was without sin, why was he baptized by John the Baptist? Opinions, anyone?

Robyn

• rebel
    rebel

Robyn,

Wasn't Jesus' baptism more of an anointing than a baptism as we know it? As a JW, I was taught that we are baptised as an outward sign to show we are willing to dedicate our entire life to Jehovah. With Jesus, it was a sign to show he was God's anointed - the Messiah - at least that's what I think.

As a Catholic, I was also taught that Christ's baptism was not the same as the one you undergo as an infant.

Just my thoughts.

xxR

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

I also believe that is was an example for all who would follow him, being baptised in water and in the Holy Spirit.

• gumby
    gumby

John said to Jesus that he was the one needeing it....not Jesus. Jesus said..."let it be this way for now. When I believed the bible I always understood it to be an example and prevent controvery......just as paul had timothys weenie clipped so the others wouldn't get pissed.( gawd I have a way with words )

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Water baptism was an ancient sacrament by the time Jesus arrived. Nearly all of the Greek, Persian, Indian and Egyptian Gods were baptised (usually in rivers) and or baptised others as a symbol of death and new life. It was only natural for the Christian story to incorporate this element into it's theology.

• unbaptized
    unbaptized

I truly feel that he got baptized to set the example for all who would follow him. His followers are taught to follow the Christ example. Since Jesus is the way and the life and the truth and basically the only individual on earth to truly please God, then it is safe to say he only set an example for his followers.

• shera
    shera

LOL @ Gumby

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit