Faith and Fortune

by donkey 3 Replies latest jw friends

• donkey
    donkey

The donkey is trying to figure this out:

• Faith is a learned quality - right? No one is born with faith but they have to learn to have faith in God.
    • So do infants have faith? According to my research the answer is NO.
    • What happens if an infant dies?
    • Does God grant special dispensation to the infant since it has not been able to build faith yet?
    • Does the infant then have the good fortune of entering heaven automatically?

If so why is abortion such a bad thing? You believe the embryo is a child and abortion would then ensure that the "child" would go straight to heaven....

Why is infanticide a bad thing? You just ensured that the "child" would go straight to heaven....

In both cases you have spared the infants from the risk of making bad choices and guaranteed that they live forever in heavenly bliss

I happen to believe from my own personal atheistic moral vantage point that infanticide is a terrible thing - I am just trying to figure out how Christians justify it as bad for the infant.

Jack

Edited by - donkey on 30 December 2002 15:34:25

• Analysis
    Analysis

I can not speak for most Christians. I also can not state what Gods view on the matter is.

But, in my view the only certain life is the one we have here. Babies I think are born as trusting individuals who do have faith in their mothers.

As to killing babies, I think it does more harm to those responsible for the killing than to the child. Some feel that the Childs salvation is in the hands of his parents at birth.

• donkey
    donkey

Humans like to believe they are right. When confronted with a scenario that makes them uncomfortable they prefer to hide or ignore the view.

I had this discussion with someone at work today who is Catholic and he said that babies are placed in a special place like limbo.

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

Hi DONKEY! Limbo and Purgatory are based on tradition not sacred scripture.The church has relied on tradition to support a middle ground between heaven and hell.I don't believe a word of it.

As to infants going straight to heaven then millions of aborted fetuses are there.Also why the grief over death if we all go to heaven? Every one wants to go to heaven but no one wants to die to get there.

As to faith and fortune, who really knows? What about what people call misfortune? None of this makes any sense. Blueblades

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit