Did you like Genesis?

by JH 9 Replies latest jw friends

• JH
    JH

When I was younger, I listened to groups like Genesis, Supertramp, Pink Floyd, and so much more. Were these groups also popular in the United States, or was it just England and Canada? When I used to go to the hall, I never listened to that kind of music because I felt it didn't match the religion I was in. But today I still like to listen to that kind of music. Did you change your music habits when you joined the J.W's?

Edited by - JH on 29 December 2002 15:55:38

• Francois
    Francois

Yep. Liked them all in the main. Loved Supertramp's "Just a Little Bit."

francois

• Outaservice
    Outaservice

Whoops, wrong thread! I was going to say, "I like Exodus better!"

Outaservice (listening to Slim Whitman right now!)

• heathen
    heathen

Genesis was pretty big here in the US . I was a big fan myself .I was never a dub so I listen to what ever I feel like .I've even seen Genesis in concert and had a great time .

Edited by - heathen on 29 December 2002 16:20:52

• hippikon
    hippikon

Loved my music but when I was assimilated I dumped Thousands of dollars of records. Some hard to get stuff too (Pink Military, Flying Lizards etc etc etc) After a few years I started secretly collecting again. My taste in music is wide but now I particularly like stuff that is frowned on by the borg Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Iron Butterfly etc. As for Genesis I havent invested to time to acquire the taste but I have always liked Robert Fripp and Peter Gabriel Im a big fan of King Crimson is that close enough?

• liquidsky
    liquidsky

I listened to whatever music I wanted when I was a dub.

• freedom96
    freedom96

The P.O. in my hall growing up went through my record collection, and tossed out several albums. Mainstream rock/ pop, not like it was satan metal thrash stuff.

I did listen to what I wanted, though we were counciled to not listen to any singer that was gay, took drugs, or had sex out of marriage.

• willdabeerman
    willdabeerman

i listened to whatever i wanted to. matter of fact the elders knew i did because one time i was jammin in my truck (big sound system and all)and just goin to the meeting when i wasent payin attention and turned into the parkin lot after a fairly large elder meeting and they all got a taste of my two twelve inch woofers and all of ice cube's westside connection...needless they werent pleased and i was called on it.oh the memories.ahhhh

• Rip76
    Rip76

Being a younger guy, with an older brother and sister... I grew up listening to "Good Music".. but neither one of them liked Genesis, as far as I can remember..So, I aquired a taste for Genesis on my own.. I already loved: Rush, Yes, ELP... So I fugured I'd like Genesis. The early stuff is an aquired taste... But, Gabriel has a wonderful voice, and when I started listening to the earlier Genesis stuff, I have a new found respect for Collins as a drummer. I do like the the "Newer Genesis stuff also...late 70's early 80's, post Gabriel.

What's funny, when I was younger, my sister would tell me that all the brothers at the hall, listened to Black Sabbath...That really freaked me out... But, I like Sabbath also...

• troucul
    troucul

I absolutely loved (still do) Genesis...I actually skipped a CO's visit to see them in Foxboro, MA about 10 years ago. hehe. No one, not even my elder dad was going to talk me out of it. (I had recently been counciled against seeing Billy Joel-how's that for anal?) I do have a couple old tapes of when Peter Gabriel was with them. Songs like "The Knife", and "I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe)" were just classic.

Now I'm just burning as much of their songs off of Kazaa as I can.---"Mama" is the best song ever IMO

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit