Did you think you were the only one?

by sleepy 7 Replies latest jw friends

• sleepy
    sleepy

When you were first realised the truth was wrong did you think you were the only one?

I did.I had worked out the gentile times could not be right, but had not realised what this ment about the governing body etc.I knew there were apostates, but I thought these were just people who hated the religion.I was ready to research and find out the truth about the organisation.Then I looked on the internet and found that thousands of people had beaten me to it already.

• GING
    GING

NWT " many shall try and stumble u, be sure u are not stumbled"

of course u r not the only one.

Ging

• Matty
    Matty

Someone in my family was being badly treated by the Elders when they had suffered abuse and so I started to question how a supposedly spirit appointed body of men could be so hard-hearted and incompetent. I thought this was a pretty isolated case but it was only after reading the heartbreaking accounts in the Silentlambs site that started to question the beliefs that I had based my whole life on.

Edited by - matty on 29 December 2002 12:26:6

• RubyTuesday
    RubyTuesday

Exactly what Matty said.

• Athanasius
    Athanasius

When in 1984 I first read Crisis of Conscience which helped expose the Watch Tower as a false religion, I knew that I was not alone. However, today the ExJWs are more numerous and better organized than 20 years ago.

Sincerely,

Athanasius

• hybridous
    hybridous

Yeah, I thought I was the only one who could see thru all the bull. Now I know, it's not always a matter of 'seeing' for a JW. It's a matter of being honest with yourself.

Anyway, when I started to see thru the crap and started to question things, I was a young teenager. And how much in life can you really be sure about at that age? Maybe it was easier to admit the whole thing is a scam because I hadn't invested year after year (and dollar after dollar) in the Watchtower.

• joannadandy
    joannadandy
    Now I know, it's not always a matter of 'seeing' for a JW. It's a matter of being honest with yourself.

Hybridous, you pretty much echo my feelings with that statement, and your experience sounds a lot like mine. I started questioning things when I was 16, but thought I was too inexperienced about the world in general so I honestly thought if I prayed more and worked harder at being a good witness it would all make sense to me. Yeah, the more I tried to believe the less it made sense. The more I read the less I believed. It all kept falling apart the more I tried to study. Those nagging questions just kept getting louder and louder. And I did feel isolated. Like I was the only moron who didn't get it, and couldn't be happy. I thought something was wrong with me.

• target
    target

I guess so. I knew a couple of people who thought some things were not right but they were not questioning whether or not it was the truth. It really wasn't until I found this web site that I realized there were many, many more like me after all.

Millie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit