Practicing charity 365 days a year?

by meadow77 2 Replies latest jw friends

• meadow77
    meadow77

I know that the holiday seasons are over now, but there is something that has been brewing around on my mind. I was watching a news article about an overnight delivery service. They were interviewing a young woman who delivered packages on Christmas day. I assumed she was a dub by her comments, but I could be wrong as that fact was never confirmed by her. She seemed very nice and explained that even though she did not celebrate the holidays, she was happy to deliver gifts to those that exchanged. I thought that was a very nice thing for her to do. Then she said "I celebrate giving and love 365 days a year" UUGHHHKKKK. The very mention of that rubbed me the wrong way, and I have been steaming about it ever since. I am so sick of hearing people who do not celebrate the holidays say things like this. It's as if they are accusing those that celebrate the holidays of refusing to give any other day of the year. I am glad to note that homeless soup kitchens and donations are open year round, donations to charities are given year round, blood is donated year round, and when a family member or friend need to borrow money or any other type of assistance, I don't make them wait till Dec 25th. I wonder if they are trying to make themselves feel better, or what. If you choose not to celebrate, than that is certainly your perogative, but why the need to try and make others out to be bad guys because they do. The world is sometimes not a nice place to be, but there is still love, hope, and charity 365 days a year. Even Performed by those who exchange gifts on Dec 25th.

• pettygrudger
    pettygrudger

Excellent observations Meadow - and I must admit I could never figure out in all my years as a JW why charitable works weren't considered "time worthy". For some reason, field service was always considered to be the "greatest gift of all", so therefore all others acts of kindness were unwarranted (unless of course it was for a fellow JW).

I feel more christian in one year as a non-JW than i did in 16 of being a JW - weird for being the only true religion of God huh?

• Mary
    Mary

The Witnesses have a very odd idea as to what constitutes "charity". I find it pathetic and ironic that if you go and volunteer your time at a homeless shelter, a retirement home or soup kitchen, you can't count any of that as "time" on your Field Service Report (for those that actually do this). However, if you take a trip down to Bethel and spend the afternoon picking vegetables or weed the garden, you can actually count that as "time" on your Service Report.

Makes perfect sense eh?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit