Parousia applied to the first coming of Christ?

by caballoSentado 3 Replies latest watchtower bible

• caballoSentado
    caballoSentado

I was checking all the bible verses that had the greek word parousia, translated as presence by the WT, when I came across a text (2 Peter 1:16-17) where this word seems to be applied to the first coming of Christ. I showed this to my friend Ginosko, but he thinks differently. The WT applies this verses to Christs transfiguration. What do you think?

The verses 16 & 17 read in NWT version:
    No, it was not by following artfully contrived false stories that we aquainted you with the power and presence (parousia) of our Lord Jesus Christ but it was by having become eyewitnesses of his magnificence. For he received from the God the Father honor and glory, when words such as these were borne to him by the magnificent glory: this is my son, my beloved, whom I myself have approved.

• JosephMalik
    JosephMalik

caballosentado,

Sure presence is presence. It can be past, present or future depending upon the context of the verse. Searching a word like this helps us to understand it's meaning or the many meanings such a word can have. But only by understanding what is being discussed can we determine how or what meaning applies in any specific verse. There is no problem that I can see here.

But the text is a good one, a very important feature of the faith, the second time such words "this is my son, my beloved, whom I myself have approved" appear. So the transfiguration was a significant event not just a vision that would somehow have a fulfillment at another time. Peter was not present at our Lord's baptism was he? Does anyone know? So this application to the transfiguration is a no brainer really.

Joseph

• johnny cip
    johnny cip

hi caballo

• johnny cip
    johnny cip

hi caballo /; ifn you think about it sounds like peter talking about the holy sprit you know past present and future the sprit of jehovah, jesus, has to be the holy sprit, could it be a trinty ?? maybe?? by the way my wife is from marganga san miguel , 7ma etapa it's time for you to help and expose the wt as a false christ in peru.. you can help so many with your knowledge...john

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit