How to get around "prophet" issue...?

by Happy 9 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Happy
    Happy

I was wondering if anyone has a soloution to this little problem: As we all know, the WT claims to be the faithful and discreet slave, Jehovah's spirit directed channel, blah blah blah, but I don't think they ever actually said the word prophet in relation to themselves. If they have, I've yet to find the quote. Does anyone know how to get around this problem when a thoroughly brainwashed sheep uses the defense that "the WT never said they were a prophet so that argument is not valid"? I would think that any intelligent person examining WT literature would realise that they basically do say they are a prophet, but not in those words, but JW's don't see it that way. Any help anyone?

• siveld
    siveld

If you have the Society's CD-Rom, look up these references:

WT 1 Oct 1982 p. 27

WT 1 Oct 1964 p. 601

WT 1 Apr 1972 p. 197

WT 1 Mar 1965 p. 151

Dave

• avishai
    avishai

What the hell would you call a spirit directed channel? I'd say that's a damn good definition of a prophet. Sorry, this just gets under my skin the way they try to skirt this issue, either your spirit directed or your not. No in between B.S, how the heck can you be innacurately spirit directed?

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

I think there is someplace in the bible where it says God will do nothing except he reveal it to his prophets. So they are either prophets or not. IMHO

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

*** g86 6/8 9 "Would That All Were Prophets!" ***
    You will be interested to learn that God has on earth a people, all of whom are prophets, or witnesses for God. In fact, they are known throughout the world as Jehovah's Witnesses

*** w72 4/1 197 'They Shall Know that a Prophet Was Among Them' ***
    This "prophet" was not one man, but was a body of men and women. It was the small group of footstep followers of Jesus Christ, known at that time as International Bible Students. Today they are known as Jehovah's Christian witnesses. They are still proclaiming a warning, and have been joined and assisted in their commissioned work by hundreds of thousands of persons who have listened to their message with belief.

Of course, it is easy to say that this group acts as a "prophet" of God. It is another thing to prove it. The only way that this can be done is to review the record. What does it show?

*** w72 4/1 200 'They Shall Know that a Prophet Was Among Them' ***
    Jehovah's witnesses today make their declaration of the good news of the Kingdom under angelic direction and support. (Rev. 14:6, 7; Matt. 25:31, 32) And since no word or work of Jehovah can fail, for he is God Almighty, the nations will see the fulfillment of what these witnesses say as directed from heaven

*** w64 5/1 277 Building a Firm Foundation in Christ ***
    It is through the columns of The Watchtower that Jehovah provides direction and constant Scriptural counsel to his people

*** w65 6/1 352 Questions from Readers ***
    In 1938 Jehovah revealed this correspondency to his servants and it was published in The Watchtower
    Jehovah's organization must henceforth be guided and directed by Jehovah's spirit through the visible governing body made up of those servants whom Jehovah himself would appoint
    Jehovah's theocratically controlled organization under the immediate direction of Jehovah God himself

• Happy
    Happy

Elsewhere,

Thank you kindly. Those will be rather helpful in dispelling the silly notion that the WT does not claim to be prophet.

• hooberus
    hooberus

The book "The Nations Shall Know That I Am Jehovah" published in 1971 has probably the most direct statements that JW are commissioned to speak as a prophet in Jehovah's name.

• Happy
    Happy

hooberus,

Do you know if that book is still in print, or if they have conveniently altered any passages in light of new truth? (pardon the pun )

• COMF
    COMF

The book is available on the Watchtower CD. However, I've seen loyal witnesses, when trying to rationalize away the ugly truth, state that the fact that the word is bracketed by quotes ("prophet") shows that they didn't mean it in a literal sense.

• hooberus
    hooberus

The Watchtower has become quite skilled in getting around the false prophet issue. They even have a whole section on it in the book that all witnesses carry door to door. So unless you are skilled at defeating the "we don't claim to be a prophet" ; "well a 'prophet' in a sense"; "even the disciples made mistakes" arguments you may wish to try a diiferent strategy.

For example in 1993 the Watchtower made statements that Jehovahs-Witnesses have consistently shown that 1914 was the date for:

1.The time of the end

2. Jesus's second presence.

Then by showing that 1799 used to be the date for the beginning of the "time of the end" and that 1874 used to be when Christ's second presence began (taught for 50 years) you show that the modern Society leaders are being dis-honest about their history. If they bring up the "new-light" argument say "I know that you have changed you teachings, however what concerns me the most is why is the society now saying that they have tagught 1914 as the date of these two events consistently when they haven't? Are they being honest about their history?

Many other examples of Watchtower lying about what they predicted can be listed and there is no need to show that the Watchtower "claimed to be a prophet"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit