George W's "liberal intercourse"

by Defender 1 Replies latest jw friends

• Defender
    Defender

If when reading "liberal intercourse" your minds drited to some seedy bedroom scene in one sweltering summer night in a Texas mansion, shame on you. I hate to disappoint you, but it is really not my fault. Blame George W. By George W, I mean George Washington the first President of the United States and not George W Bush, the current President.

After reading Washingtons farewell speech I found some interesting remarks that I am sure when the time comes for the current George to make his farewell speech, he would find it politically incorrect to use or at least if he did, then he should expect his listeners to request translation subtitles in some parts and roll back in laughter in others.

Yes, 1796 the year made that speech is not 2002, or should I say 2004 or 2008. The language has changed and terminologies continue to evolve in meaning and character.

However, after reading the interesting remarks in the speech, I could not but immediately think of Revelation 18:3 and 9.

Here are some extracts; (I strongly recommend reading the entire speech found at http://www.dlhoffman.com/publiclibrary/AmericanHistory/washington.html )

He wrote, "Observe good faith and justice toward all nations. Cultivate peace and harmony with all. Religion and morality enjoin this conduct."

"to steer clear of permanent alliances with any portion of the foreign world;"

Our detached and distant situation invites and enables us to pursue a different course. If we remain one people, under an efficient government, the period is not far off when we may defy material injury from external annoyance; when we may take such an attitude as will cause the neutrality we may at any time resolve upon to be scrupulously respected; when belligerent nations, under the impossibility of making acquisitions upon us, will not lightly hazard the giving us provocation; when we may choose peace or war, as our interest, guided by justice, shall counsel.

The great rule of conduct for us in regard to foreign nations is, in extending our commercial relations to have with them as little political connection as possible.

"Harmony, liberal intercourse with all nations are recommended by policy, humanity and interest;" (bold and underlinig mine)

If Bill Clinton had said that, I can understand, but "By George!"....?

Now compare Rev 18:3, 9. It is one of these things that make you go " Hmmm..."

D

Edited by - Defender on 27 December 2002 0:31:48

Edited by - Defender on 27 December 2002 0:33:0

Edited by - Defender on 27 December 2002 0:34:10

Edited by - Defender on 27 December 2002 0:35:9

• Guest 77
    Guest 77

Defender, how many of the common Joe's of his day understood what he was saying? Thanks for sharing George's parting speech.

Guest 77

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit