Does god really love children?

by kelsey007 9 Replies latest jw friends

• kelsey007
    kelsey007

Many people claim that the God of the Bible loves children and fetuses. But what does the Bible say?

Kill both man and woman, infant and suckling... (1 Samuel 15:3)
    Their infants will be dashed in pieces before their eyes... (Isaiah 13:6)
    Happy is he that dashes your little ones against the stones. (Psalms 137:9)

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

God is the Supreme Sovereign.

He created everything and He can destroy anything He wants to.

God knows the future, so He knows what children would be like in the future when they are grown up.

It is my belief, based on the Scriptures I've read, that children who die before they are old enough to know right and wrong go to Heaven (notice when King David's son died, David said that he would "go see him" one day, and I don't think David was talking about going to Hell).

But, to answer your question, I would like to post a few Scriptures showing how Jesus Christ (God in the Flesh) treated children:

Matthew 18:5 (Jesus Speaking): Whoever receives one such little child in My Name receives Me,
    Matthew 18:6: but whoever causes one of these little children who believe in Me to stumble or sin, it would be better for him that a huge millstone should be hung around his neck, and that he should be sunk in the depths of the sea.

Matthew 18:10: Make sure that you don't despise one of these little children, for I tell you that in Heaven their angels always see the face of My Father who is in Heaven.
    Matthew 18:11: For the Son of Man came to save that which was lost.

Matthew 18:14: ...it is not the will of your Father who is in Heaven that one of these little children should perish.

Also, here is a Verse by the Apostle Paul:

Colossians 3:21: Fathers, don't provoke your children, so that they won't be discouraged.

Edited by - UnDisfellowshipped on 27 December 2002 2:18:23

• Skeptic
    Skeptic
    God is the Supreme Sovereign.

He created everything and He can destroy anything He wants to.

In other words, it is morally right for God to be a hideous bastard if he choses to be. Why would you want to serve a God like that? (1 Sam. 15:3)

God knows the future, so He knows what children would be like in the future when they are grown up.

So, you are claiming that 1 Sam. 15:3 implies that every "suckling infant" in an ENTIRE nation will grow up to be evil; hence, God was right for killing them now? So, even if the suckling infants were taken and raised in Israel, they would still turn out bad? WOW!

It is my belief, based on the Scriptures I've read, that children who die before they are old enough to know right and wrong go to Heaven (notice when King David's son died, David said that he would "go see him" one day, and I don't think David was talking about going to Hell).

So, the way to guarantee that your children will go to Heaven is to kill them while they are very young? Then repent of course. Or sacrifice yourself....kill MANY young children....you will burn in Hell, but think of all the lives you will save!

But, to answer your question, I would like to post a few Scriptures showing how Jesus Christ (God in the Flesh) treated children:

True, there are some scriptures that show kindness towards children. Even abusive fathers are kind to their children sometimes. That does not excuse the abusive stuff though.

Richard

Edited by - Skeptic on 27 December 2002 2:33:56

Edited by - Skeptic on 27 December 2002 2:34:31

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped
    So, the way to guarantee that your children will go to Heaven is to kill them while they are very young? Then repent of course. Or sacrifice yourself....kill MANY young children....you will burn in Hell, but think of all the lives you will save!

I see your point, but that would be in direct violation of not only Matthew 18:6, but several other Verses.

• Realist
    Realist

kelsey007,

a wonderful compilation of statments that demonstrate what the old testament really is ....a pile of BS written by a primitiv society!

• rebel
    rebel

UD,

If the God of the Bible truly loves children, he wouldn't deliberately destroy them just because their parents were wicked as some have already mentioned. I would never, ever, ever do anything to harm a child - or an adult for that matter. The majority of people feel the same way. yet a powerful God, who is supposed to be a God of love, can kill a tiny baby or child without any qualms - something that most puny, inferior humnas could not and would not do. It just doesn't make any sense. And to punish the whole human race with death just because some bimbo ate a flaming piece of fruit and her bimbo husband did the same seems a pretty warped way of thinking to me.

Think of it logically. Look at the aging process - that has to be one of the cruelest tricks played on mankind. Do you know anybody that is getting on in years? It's horrible to see someone you love grow old and feeble, hardly able to see or walk. That person was once a child, running about, climbing trees - then they grew up big and strong and perhaps had a family of their own. Then their body starts to deteriorate, through no fault of their own, and they get weak, their hands tremble and they are so vulnerable, they couldn't even defend themselves if they had to. How cruel is that?

Just my thoughts

xxR

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

If "God" (that is, the God as written down by men) really loved us, then he wouldn't have commanded his servants of old to smash babies heads on rocks....I forget what scripture that is....

ash

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    In other words, it is morally right for God to be a hideous bastard if he choses to be. Why would you want to serve a God like that? (1 Sam. 15:3)

Because if you don't, he will spend eternity torturing you. Fear is a great motivator.

• DannyBear
    DannyBear

Sometimes I think that fellows like UnD would like to just ignore the 'old testament' and point only to Jesus words as what god really has to say.

Unfortunately whatever Jesus ('God') said while on earth, does not in any way negate or explain away, what Jesus ('God') did or said prior to his (Jesus) birth. Unless you consider that 'God' had a change of heart, maybe because of his human experience? Is that it UnD?

The web of deceit gets wider and wider, as true believers try and cover 'Gods' tracks.

Danny

• Windchaser
    Windchaser

Hehe Danny, I think I've finally gotten an answer to a question that has been problematic to me since I first opened and read the Bible. I have often wondered why God is so different in the new testament as compared to the old.

What you say is the best answer I've gotten so far: the human experience factor!!!! hahahahah

UnDees, do tell, why was god such a shithead in the ot?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit