Ozzie's Wine of the Month for January

by ozziepost 7 Replies latest jw friends

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Actually it was Prisca who we have to thank for this month's choice , as she kindly brought a few bottles over to us as a gift.

Actually I don't know why wwe've taken so long to feature this winery. After all, they are from New South Wales! The Hunter Valley is home to some fine wines. I haven't yet tasted, so here's some notes from the winemaker. See if it's available in your local liquor store, or fine wines outlet.

Black Label 10th Anniversary Shiraz
    Region: South Australia

Colour: Dark Purple RedNose: Some regional definition along with intense black currant, cassis chocolate aromas. Toasty charred American oak is also apparent.Palate: A full bodied wine with soft fine grained tannins, rich palate and good persistence. Strong Shiraz fruit flavours of pepper, spice and cherry are complimented by a subtle underlay of coconut / vanillin American oak. Excellent balance.Harvest Information: The 2000 season was reasonably benevolent in South Australia with fruit having good varietal definition and excellent tannin / colour development. The fruit used in this blend is mainly from the Barossa floor with a small portion being from Bordertown. The wine in this blend was matured in both one and two year old American oak for 18 months giving a subtle oak undercurrent and soft tannin structure.Ageing Potential: Three years from vintageVariety: ShirazSuitability: Perfect red to accompany flavoursome foods. Ideally suited to Italian or Asian cuisine because of the great flavour and the balanced nature.Retail Price: $15.99

Range: Black Label Range

Cheers, Ozzie

• blondie
    blondie

I live in the US and saw my first Shiraz commercial yesterday. That's a good sign.

Blondie

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

hey ozzy.. how exactly are you recommending this wine without having tried it? The pretty label?

But the description does sound appealing.

Path

• gumby
    gumby

Merry Christmas Ozzie's!

Actually it was Prisca who we have to thank for this month's choice , as she kindly brought a few bottles over to us as a gift.

What I want to know is........how many of those bottles are left? Did Prisca drink them all.....did she did she??????

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Path,

I'm not unfamiliar with this label, having enjoyed many visits to the McGuigan winery over the years. I'm recommending it on that basis, and because I realise that I've neglected my home state of New South Wales.

Also, the wine was given to me, so I'm sure gonna try it!

So, Path, I'm willing. What about you?

Gumby,

A gentleman never tells such things about a lady!

Cheers, Ozzie

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

lol.. let me know what you think of it after you drink it and i'll try to pick one up if you can recommend it then..lol Our tastes seem similar and i'll take your word for it.. haha

Recommend me a good one that is very oaky.. very dry.. full bodied with very deep flavours and spare me the ones with the "fruity" notes A cabernet or shiraz... not fond of many merlots.

Path

(sorry for spelling your name with a "y"..lol)

Edited by - Pathofthorns on 25 December 2002 9:23:13

• gumby
    gumby

Hey OZ,

We all are very concerned about Prisca and those bottles she brought. Is she coherant right now? Where is she....is she passed out? Please please make her type something from her to prove she is not passed out in the laundry room laying in her sickness.....we MUST know!

BTW.....What kind of presents did ya get.....besides the vino?

Gumby

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Sounds interesting. Next wine run, I'll try it. Thanks Ozzie!

Cheers!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit