They Will Betray One Another

by Shakita 4 Replies latest jw friends

• Shakita
    Shakita

I have read the stories of those that have been unceremoniously drummed out of the Watchtower, even though they were making an effort to live quietly, without causing "trouble" by telling their friends and relatives of the WT what they really knew about the true history of the JW's. The WT's claim that they don't disfellowship those that have left the faith, is a vicious lie. It has been disturbing to me and my wife to hear of such good people being ostracized just because they no longer agree with the WT's interpretation of scripture. The WT has often succeeded in destroying family relationships because of the fear they have instilled in their adherents. Even though many JW relatives may want to maintain contact with their disfellowshipped or disassociated family member, fear of being disfellowshipped themselves and allegedly cut off from God prevents them from maintaining a relationship with their family members. Although, when my wife and I were confronted with the same issue in regards to our children, we refused to have any part in shunning them. That stand on our part, at the very least, has caused many in our congregation to view us as "weak" and as "bad association."

Today, my wife pointed out to me something that Ray Franz talked about in his book "Crisis of Conscience." I felt that what he said was so appropriate to what we were discussing these past few days that I had to share it with you. Ray was talking about those individuals that just tried to slip away quietly, in other words, the slow fade. He commented that even these efforts did not always work. On pages370, 371 Ray says: "If efforts to avoid the unwanted confrontation fail, I think there is consolation in knowing that the reason for any family distress and heartache rests on one side only. It is fully and entirely the fruitage of an organizational policy that calls upon its members to report to the elders any expression of dissent, even if by family members, and a policy backed by the threat of expulsion for anyone who fails to treat disassociated or disfellowshipped persons as though they were rejected by God, no matter how sincere and devoted one may know them to be. The religious intolerance that acts as the divisive force, destructive of family oneness and affection, is not mutual therefore. Jesus said that it would be his DISCIPLES who would be handed over to religious judicial bodies for trial, not that THEY would be the ones handing others over to such bodies. He warned that THOSE WHO HELD TRUE TO HIS TEACHINGS would be "betrayed even by parents and brothers, by relatives and friends," not that THEY would be the ones doing the betraying. As in Jesus' day, so today, the divisive forces comes from one side, one source, a source that equates conscientious disagreement with disloyalty. There is where the real responsibility for the broken family relationships, ruined friendships and the accompanying emotional hurt and distress ultimately rests." ( Matthew 10:17,21; Mark 13:9-12; Luke 21:16)

What the Watchtower has overlooked is that THEY ARE THE ONES THAT HAVE BETRAYED OTHERS. In their efforts to hide the real truth about the organization they have been forced to expel the "whistleblowers" to prevent the majority of the remaining witnesses to find out the real truth about the WT. So, despite the efforts of the Governing Body to suppress information, they are being exposed more and more. They are only legends in their own minds.

Mr. Shakita

• Banshee
    Banshee

Mr. Shakita,

Yes, you make some completely valid points there. The fact that you and your wife have been persecuted and labelled for simply trying to be loving parents despite your children's decision to leave the organization exemplifies the judgmental attitudes that abound within the WT.

Calling people into "judicial" committee meetings and casting people out of the congregations, besides the aforementioned labelling (which usually follows after lots of malicious gossip), all smacks of disobedience to Jesus' command, "Do not judge...." (Mt.7:1). And what about those who are "skinned and thrown about like sheep without a shepherd"? That sure sounds like rank and file JW's and how they have been treated by the modern day Pharisees of the WTBTS. And to think these same people have the temerity to claim they are Christians!

By the way, I think you and your wife are to be commended for giving your children unconditional love rather than cutting them off due to their religious affiliation or lack thereof.

Thanks for your post.

Banshee

• Shakita
    Shakita

Banshee,

Thanks for your comments and support. I particularly feel sorry for those individuals that don't have access to the internet. When they are df'ed or da'ed they may very well think that they have cut themselves off from God. I remember the intial shock and fear I felt when the WT world came crumbling down in my life. I was afraid and hesitant to read Ray Franz's books, but I'm glad I made the effort despite my fear. There is that old WT inspired fear and paranoia. No wonder they came down so hard on the internet in their Nov. 99 Kingdom Ministry. You know, what the rank and file doesn't know won't hurt them.

Mr. Shakita

• Roddy
    Roddy

>>You know, what the rank and file doesn't know won't hurt them.<<

Unfortunately, what the rank and file doesn't know does hurt them too. They are stuck between a rock and a hard place. The WTS loves the power both ways.

• Shakita
    Shakita

Hi Roddy,

Thanks for your comment. I made that comment from the perspective of the WT. I certainly don't believe that it is good for the rank and file JW's to stay in ignorance. Although some believe that the JW's are a high control group, I would certainly say that they are awfully close to being a cult. One sign of a cult involves information control. If the leaders of a cult can control the information being given to its underlings then they can ensure the continued devotion and sacrifice from their adherents. The WT has been able to continue their fantasy by controlling what the average JW can read. Of course, with the advent of the internet, it spells the death knell for their information control. There is a leak in the dam and they are trying desperately to plug the leak. What better way than to instill fear in the JW's than to espouse the inherent evils of the internet. You know, Satan's domain, and all that. I certainly believe in freedom of religion, but what I don't believe is that any religion has a right to dupe its followers in the guise of religious freedom.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit