I was watching the telly

by uriah 5 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• uriah
    uriah

I was in bed watching the telly this morning (What, I hear you ask, not at the meeting? No actually) and the prog was "The world at war" on the splendid BBC2 - this is quality TV for all you americans that don't have quality TV and have to wait for ours to air over there - and this German was saying that he was present at the rallies where Hitler was giving his speeches and that he looked around at everyone, their faces and apparent joy and ferver. He said he listened to the speeches and understood the words but could not believe them. He said how he wished he could have been immersed in it all like those around him, joining in in the 'joy' and feel the the way those around him did. But he couldn't, and to some extent he envied those present.

This took me back to the first assembly when I felt like that and how it percolated down through to the meetings where I would sit and think just those thoughts and wish that I was the same. It is a strange feeling, like singing a different tune to everyone else but only you can hear the difference. Ah well, lifes a bitch and then you die.

• Englishman
    Englishman

Uriah,

Sounds like when I first go into a new pub!

Englishman.

• Valis
    Valis
    - this is quality TV for all you americans that don't have quality TV and have to wait for ours to air over there -

*LOL*...Yes very good program that I've been watching since I was a kid. My dad thought he could get me to go to bed by putting it on...it totally backfired on him..eheh

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• uriah
    uriah

Englishman (to the core I hope, like when you cut me I bleed tea type stuff)

Do you mean like when everyone stops and eyes you with suspicion whilst you 'mosey (for our american cousins) up to the bar'

or those when when you have no impact at all and have to fight your way to the bar

or the music is so loud that you cannot order a beer without sign language or where they have those

bloody pub quizzes with the questions booming out all the time while one is trying to play pool -

you know like 'Noooow, oooo was prum-inister durin' the waaaarrrrrrr', or 'this one will get you gooowing, wot bloke

smacked the bald git in eastenders on the nut and said "ow's it going slap-'ead?"'

• rebel
    rebel

Uriah,

I know that series - it was brilliant - I saw it when it was first aired. I remember the theme tune - it was really haunting.

I know excactly what you mean. I have always felt that I didn't belong at the KH or assemblies. I was always waiting for someone to 'find me out' and pounce on me and say 'You don't belong here!" I guess it was just insecurity on my part. I was never much good as a Catholic, and when I became a JW, I always felt like a lapsed Catholic pretending to be a JW - how stupid is that?

xxR

• Prisca
    Prisca

I had that feeling the last year I was attending meetings. I'd been a JW for all my life, yet I didn't feel like I belonged there anymore. Something just didn't feel right, and I no longer felt comfortable being there. It got worse when I started to find out the real truth about "the Truth". Eventually, I stopped going altogether. There just wasn't any point going anymore.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit