QUESTION??

by Siddhashunyata 9 Replies latest jw friends

• Siddhashunyata
    Siddhashunyata

After leaving Jehovah's Witnesses we experience much confusion. What should we believe about God, Religion, Death , Life , War, Health, Sex etc.etc? Usually we search out other ideas or beliefs and again find ourselves groping for another "world view" that will , at last give us peace. The problem is that any world view based on belief is a world view based on thought and therefore it is vulnerable. Vulnerable to thought. Arguments abound as one thought counters another. All parties trying to hold on to their respective positions, all parties vulnerable.? So I'm asking what can be done about this? How would one approach this problem? Certainly, Atheism is not the answer because it is also a system of belief and therefore vulnerable to contradiction . So, how does one deal with this problem that is causng so much confusion? Where does one begin?

• donkey
    donkey

It is a good question.

Some may argue that Atheism

is also a system of belief and therefore vulnerable to contradiction

But that's not true. If you take the defintion of Atheism as being "LACK OF belief" then it is consistent with your presumed starting point. If you are starting with a "clean slate" you lack belief - you are an atheist (even if you don't like the word).

Where I started was to establish known facts for myself by focusing on the tangible and asserting that I would only accept other tangibles or "items" which could rationally be added to the factual foundations I established for myself.

Possible starting point: "do I exist"? What is existence? What techniques can I use to establish credibility of the facts? Then apply those same techniques to the new discoveries you make every day.

• onacruse
    onacruse

I suggest that a good alternative is to view life as a belief process rather than a belief structure. True, at any given point in time we have a certain "set" of beliefs. But what if we consider those beliefs to be in dynamic flux, responding to new knowledge and changed circumstances? Then we avoid the inevitable self-contradiction of a static worldview, and the arguments that derive from entrenched and inflexible preconceptions.

Craig

• Guest 77
    Guest 77

Since I believe in a Creator, I go about my life minding my own business, follow the golden rule, and the rest is his problem. So far, it has worked. Also, I don't concern myself about things beyond my control. When something is within my means and power, I fix it. I sleep great at nights. To each his own.

Guest 77

• Utopian_Raindrops
    Utopian_Raindrops

hi Siddhashunyata,

I very much like what Donkey said...even though I am a believer

You are starting all a new! You have a clean slate....you can choose what you believe and have a relationship with your Creator based on how your conscience feels in your heart and mind. Not based on another's feelings and instincts but on yours!

If you wish the bible to be your guild read it from cover to cover. Focus on moral teachings 1st to help you guild your steps in life.

When I have a fav book sometimes I read it over and over. So for maybe ideas on end times and such you might want to read it over and over and see what strikes you! When I practice a piece of music I often read what was happening in the composers world at the time he wrote it..to understand his emotions and points of view....what inspired him. You may wish to do some history study along with your bible study.

No matter what you've been told you CAN have a personal relationship with your Maker. He is standing right in frount of you all you have to do is speak and listen.

I know that is simplifying it but, That is basically how I see it.

The point is....You choose who You are going to be and that is between you and God.

Hope this helped even just a little.

Agape,

Utopian_Raindrops

• searcher
    searcher

Believe in yourself.

You are the one that you know best.

searcher.

• Cicatrix
    Cicatrix

I've been struggling with the same question since I left officially in August. First, I decided to do absolutely nothing for awhile regarding spirituality. I put so much energy into serving God in the past, only to find that I was serving an imperfect human organization to the point of exhaustion and illness, I decided that I need time to let my body heal as much as it can.When I sent out my letter, I resolved not to get involved with any other formal system of worship for at least one year. In the meantime, I am enrolled in college and learning more about myself and the world around me than ever before. If I decide in the future to explore spirituality, I will have a better base of knowledge to form my judgements from, not just the indoctrination I received from the WTS from the time I was sixteen on. However, I do this while keeping in mind that higher education can also cause paradigm paralysis. I balance that fact out by reading material written by those who oppose formal higher education(ie- home schooling advocates,etc.). Right now, I'm just reading and listening and questioning, not forming any solid conclusions. I am enjoying the freedom to read or listen to whatever I like , without some person or organisation telling me what to do ( keeping in line my own moral objections to things such as child sexual exploitation,etc.). I've come to realize that all the morality I thought that endless meetings and Bible study was "giving" me, were things that were deeply engrained in me from childhood on. As I explore the boundaries I am creating for myself, I find that if I step outside of boundaries that fit my basic character, I feel uncomfortable and adjust my behavior.

I am also going to start reading about spiritual abuse. I want to be able to recognise the signs of any group that will create in me the absolute lowest point in my life that following the dictates of the WTS caused.Forewarned is forearmed. I want to deal with these feelings of anger and bitterness that have surfaced now that the halcyon daze has worn off. I don't want them to color my relationships for the rest of my life.

In the meantime, I am trying to nourish my body well, get as much restorative sleep as I can (especially on Sundays:) ). I'm also going to resume my exercise routine that I fell out of six months ago. I'm spending time just hanging with my family, conversing and reestablishing ties.

As I learn to function outside of the org, there are bad moments and good. The good ones are slowly outnumbering the bad now. I am relishing my peace. I hope that you find yours also:)

Regards,

Cicatrix

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

hI Sid! After leaving JWS.we experience much confusion.First off ,all kinds of persons have entered the org. of jws. for all kinds of reasons.And all kinds of persons have left for all kinds of reasons.Secondly,many go through a period of transition marked by uncertainty,even of doubting everything due to having suffered disillusionment.Thirdly,many are temporarily adrift.Fourth,many are searching for the root cause of all of this. Finally,the search begins with questions,one of the minds most powerful tools! Answers are hard to come by.Someone once asked,"Do we really need all the answers?"What can sustain us through all of this?I think love and concern for others,whatever they hold to wheter it be some kind of belief system or not.I myself feel as you do and have asked myself the same things you have raised here with your question.

I am going through a period of transition,marked by uncertainty,temporarily adrift,searching for the root cause of all of this.And it is this forum and the many who have contributed so much to it that has helped me to have a measure of peace through it all. I appreciate your posting this.Thanks,Blueblades

• zenpunk
    zenpunk

I know what you mean. I think, once you learn that what you thought was the truth was not at all what it seems when you step back and gain perspective, you tend to lose faith in everything. I've been in this state of limbo for a couple of years. It's my hope that if I continue search and exposing myself to new experiences in life, I will make peace with it all...

• garybuss
    garybuss

Hi Siddhashunyata,

I had to challenge my core beliefs with skepticism. Some stood up to the challenge and I kept those. Some failed and they were discarded. Some are work in progress.

All were kept or discarded with reason in the context of my best perception of reality. All decisions were made with the benefit of examining both the pro and the con.

My short term rules were:
    Don't hurt anyone on purpose.
    Leave everyone as if it were the last time I ever see them.
    Plan for tomorrow but live for today.
    Don't let the sun set on a bad deal.
    There is no good bad deal.
    Wait three days to act on emotion like anger.
    Wait three more if emotion is not gone.
    Live as close to my values as possible.
    Minimize expectations.
    Be skeptical of all claims of a superhuman nature.
    Avoid all confrontation.

These helped me stay out of new trouble while I sorted out the rest.

Best wishes to you. I bet you will do fine.

The Way I See it http://www.freeminds.org/buss/buss.htm

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit