"This old system of things"

by JWdaughter 8 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter
    Do JWs besides my mom even say that anymore?
  • Closer to Fine
    Closer to Fine
    I think I heard a few years ago that jws were told to stop saying "the society" and "the new order" because they sounded too cult like. My husband and his family say "old system of things" and "the new system of things" frequently.
  • prologos
    prologos
    Closer to Fine2 hours ago
    I think I heard a few years ago that jws were told to stop saying "the society"
    Perhaps they prefered Faithful&DS or GB, or Christian Congregation, because it took the legal part out of the converstion
  • The Searcher
    The Searcher
    All the time!
  • Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

My wife and I have a running joke whenever we attend a family gathering where we guess how many seconds it will take for her uncle ( in his late 70's) to say "Boy....we sure do need the New System don't we ??? It just can't be much longer now ! "

All you have to do is say "Hi Joe...how's it goin'? Within seconds he starts in on this wicked old system of things and how terrible things are getting and how it's just gotta' be coming to an end soon. I've known him 25 years and he's been saying that the whole time. He was saying that since 1957 when he became a regular pioneer, since he got married, since he raised his 5 kids and 9 grandchildren have grown up and is now about to become a great grandfather. A nice man but he is so miserable while he waits for Xanadu to arrive.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams
    "This old system of things" was a phrase I regularly heard when I was a JW, right up until I left in 2007.
  • tiki
    tiki
    Ahh.. The elusive new system of things where fine fellowship will abound...so happifying!! And just imagine asking Daniel to recount his leonine experience!!
  • OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

All. The. Time.

When I saw this thread I had a realization that this phase is yet another in the loaded language that enforces a transient view of life. JWs just spend their lives in waiting.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

More often I hear it just reduced to "this system" or "this Old System".

At a funeral of someone who was of the Millions to never die.............."we just need this Old System to end" or "we just need the New System" or "only the New System will fix these things".

Sad. (Especially) for older JWs, it's the only hope they have. They are slowing coming to admit that they too are going to die, but it's too late to change their course in life as they've wasted their entire life in slavery to a false prophet.

Doc

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit