[Day 8 - 14/8]Governing Body, Geoffrey Jackson - Royal Commissions On Child Sexual Abuse, Australia. + VIDEO

by C0ntr013r 34 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Heaven
    Heaven

Ok, just got through Part 1 of Day 8. Whew...this is exhausting. I need a break.

I took some notes this time. Jackson emphasized at least 3 times that under no circumstances would women ever be elders. Quoted 1 Timothy 3:1 as the scriptural reference for overseer/elder to be a man.

Jackson did lie on a few points. He didn't exactly answer Stewart's question are you appointed by Jehovah. Jackson went on about being viewed as JW's 'fellow workers' which is crap. He didn't actually answer Stewart's question about being Jehovah's spokes people -- he just skirted it saying that would be presumptuous of us. Well GJ, you guys ARE presumptuous. He did mention living in the last days which makes them look bat sh!t crazy to every one outside the Borg.

Jackson stated they are a faith based organization and not concerned with legal matters. WTF? This is a very disturbing statement. But then goes on to say that if reporting is made mandatory that makes it very easy for them. He uses Proverbs 25:8-10 as the basis for not rushing into a legal dispute with your neighbour (I just shake my head... how can you even contemplate hesitating over getting into a legal dispute about sexual abuse of a child?!!).

Judge Peter McClellan asked him if JWs believe in the 'children should be seen and not heard' ideal. Jackson answered "We encourage children to communicate with their parents." Huh? I have no idea if this is true but what I do know, growing up as a JW child, you learn what NOT to communicate to your parents especially if you disagree with the religion.

Jackson brought up headship and wives being in subjection to their husbands and husbands are head of wives -- this made me throw up a little in my mouth.

McClellan wants the JWs to provide a scriptural reference for judges only being men. Wifibandit has already identified a scripture where a woman sat as a judge in ancient Israel (Judges 4:4-5). BAM!

• Brokeback Watchtower
    Brokeback Watchtower
    Jackson testimony is very valuable as he highlights the state of denial that the entire Governing Body are in and a good psychological evaluation of it is in order by the Commission to determine the amount of pressure needed by the courts to insure compliance of the laws. His testimony is going to be studied by experts.
  • C0ntr013r
    C0ntr013r

A terrific job has been done on Reddit, all the good stuff from part 1 has been organized and part 2 will probably be added shortly:

https://www.reddit.com/r/exjw/comments/3g4460/master_thread_for_royal_commission_highlights/

Again, thanks to everyone contributing in making this information so easily available and sorting it all. :)

• flipper
    flipper

I've only watched the first 15 minutes carefully as I've been working a lot this week. Will watch the rest of Jackson's testimony tomorrow. However this is what I've gleaned so far in the first 15 minutes.

He's a total suck up to Angus Stewart. He's trying to be " thankful " and show respect- but this guys personality is about as dry as toast not buttered. He admitted as some have stated that " 30 people " assist the GB with attaining information in this writing or teaching department - but what was good was that at least he admitted that the " 30 people " have to answer to the GB and the GB has to approve these suggestions. I'll check in tomorrow and comment some more. My wife watched more and said it does get more interesting along the way. Thanks for posting this- it's a hell of a lot to watch but worth it in the end

• flipper
    flipper

O.K. Wife and I watched the entire part 1 of Day 8 GB Jackson's testimony. Here's a few points I got from watching :

The guy is totally smug and arrogant and condescending. But Stewart and the judge were up to the challenge.

15:30 to 17:30 Jackson tries to read a scripture from Acts explaining how the congregation was to " select 7 men from among themselves " to handle responsibilities. Then Angus Stewart replies , " I think the proper application of that scripture says that a broader congregation of believers would appoint those 7 men, not just them appoint themselves. " Jackson - seeming flustered said condescendingly , " This is the problem when trying to explain our arrangement from the scriptures to secular authorities. "

25:00 to 28:00 Jackson states : " We get research and input from others " This contradicts what was stated in a WT article a couple years ago.

32:00 to 34:00 Jackson states : " It's very rare that congregations receive letters from the GB " and he adds " policy letters may be adjusted locally by the branches involved" . Yeah right.

44:00 to 46:00 Judge McClellan states that : " Children have incapacity to report child abuse. You have heard it's said children should be heard, not seen ? What's your organization's view of this ? Jackson states : " We encourage children to communicate and express themselves to parents. "

48:00 to 50:29 Jackson states : " Our church accepts the family arrangement as outlined in the Bible. " When asked by McClellan if the JW's accept corporal punishment , Jackson states, " no ".

51:00 Judge McClellan states : " The roles of women on our modern society have changed. Women in your organization have expressed concerns about difficulty meeting with elders having to discuss child abuse with them at JC meetings. "

53:00 to 54:00 Jackson replies : " The role of women in our organization is a " very dignified " role and they are not treated as " second rate citizens ". He continued, " They are very happily married women in the JW marriages. " What's THIS guy been smoking ?

54:00 to 55:00 Judge McClellan asks : " Why can't women be allowed to contribute to child abuse policies ? " Jackson replies , " There is no leeway in JW's beliefs about women taking the lead. "

55:00 Jackson seems rattled and stutters : " Your honor we've made changes regarding child abuse. Victims don't have to go before a committee of 3 elders about the abuse. " Which is a lie- unless the change was made in the last few days. Jesus.

1:02 to 1:04 Jackson indicates that a woman may possibly " assist " in an investigation of child abuse but the final judging decisions are only for men in a JC.

1:04 to 1:06 Jackson states : " The judicial system we have in the congregations isn't in competition with the criminal justice system " . Uh-huh.

1:07 Judge McClellan states : " There is a lack of women as judges in your organization ? How do you think this makes women feel ? "

1:08 Jackson replies : " In the roles that these elders serve- they are " friends " to those in the congregations. They make decisions based on the " spiritual " cleanliness of the congregation - it's for police to look into the crime of it in the justice system. ( Once again Jackson trying to dissolve any responsibility of the GB or WT elders to report ) passing the buck.

1:11 to 1:15 Judge McClellan appearing miffed asks : " It's such a difficult experience women would feel more comfortable explaining her abuse to another woman- would she not ? "

1:13 to 1:17 Jackson states : " I cannot answer in regards to how a woman feels. I know the Bible states that it's not possible for a woman to judge. They are not involved in the decision making in judicial committees.

1:18 to 1:19 Judge McClellan states : " Your process in the judicial committees are only determined by the elders if allegations of child abuse are true or false. Could the process be modified by a body including women ? "

1:18 to 1:19 Jackson states : " We could check the scriptures and research to see how women could be used in the process. " ( Like they will ? ) Uh-huh.

1:23 to 1:27 Jackson gets on his soapbox and starts preaching, he says : " It must be the elders who make decisions. The Bible talks about the " headship principle " " ( then reads the scripture ) Jackson continues, " Men make the final decisions ; it doesn't mean there is no input from women. " Then he reads the scripture about women remaining silent in the congregation, only to question their husbands in private. He states that women were debating with men in the congregation.

1:29 Jackson states , : " Someone who reads the Bible their whole life can understand it " . ( Indicating himself I imagine as opposed to the " heathen " Australian commission he's talking to. ) LOL.

1:30 : Jackson states, " It's just that we don't want women jumping up arguing excitedly with others. "

1:32 to 1:34 Angus Stewart asks , : " Is there a scriptural direction not to report child abuse ? " Jackson uses the excuse, " If Australia made it mandatory to report- it would make it so much easier for us. "

1:37 Angus Stewart asks , : " Do you report child abuse to the authorities if other children are at risk in a family ? " Jackson replies , : " The guardian of the parent has the responsibility to report the abuse. A report should be made to the authorities- elders consciences should move them to report. "

1:41 to 1:50 Angus Stewart uses an example from the Hebrew scriptures indicating that a man who rapes a woman was to be put to death only though SHE the victim was the only eyewitness. Then Angus asks Jackson, : " So we see it's NOT necessary even in the Scriptural sense to have two eyewitnesses to child abuse is it ? " Jackson replies ridiculously, " I'd like to ask Jesus Christ that in the future. "

1:46 to 1:50 Angus Stewart states that , : " The 2 witness rule needed could be the circumstances involved as well. " He proves his point by showing how elders stake out homes all night lying in wait to see if someone has committed adultery with another- all based on circumstance. " Why not the same in child abuse cases ? "

Then it broke for lunch. Just wanted to share parts of this Day 8 part 1 for those who didn't have time to watch. Take care. Will be back hopefully later for Part 2 description

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

Good note taking, Flipper!

Jackson - seeming flustered said condescendingly , " This is the problem when trying to explain our arrangement from the scriptures to secular authorities. "

Yeah, Jackson made several disparaging remarks about secular law/authority during his testimony and he insulted the Commission many times. I had listened to that part you quoted again earlier today and Jackson had said "...this is the difficulty with secular commissions trying to analyze a religious subject". The insult was actually worse than just him trying to explain their religion to the commission - Jackson actually said that it was the Commission who lacked the ability to analyze their religion. According to Jackson, he wasn't the one with the problem - the Commission was.

Thanks for your notes...they fill in spots I missed getting written down. I was busy taking notes on his body behaviour and I missed some of what he said.

• umbertoecho
    umbertoecho
    My thank you's are not enough either. But, thank you so much for making them as they are now a part of history that is accessible to many and can't be twisted as a written word can. I thought the entire process of live streaming was absolutely perfect.
  • umbertoecho
    umbertoecho

Oh! Good one flipper, yes he did say that didn't he. The bloody idiot...

I think we will all glean so much from this video as we re watch it and take careful note. At the time of it's streaming, I was so uptight that I could hardly sit still. I was angry when Jackson started preaching. I wanted a bag of rotten fruit and him on a stage so I could toss it at him.....Later, when I was calmer, I watched and took a careful scrutiny of what actually was said and how people were positioned.

It was then I realised he had dropped the society in some good old shit.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    flipper: 1:41 to 1:50 Angus Stewart uses an example from the Hebrew scriptures indicating that a man who rapes a woman was to be put to death only though SHE the victim was the only eyewitness. Then Angus asks Jackson, : " So we see it's NOT necessary even in the Scriptural sense to have two eyewitnesses to child abuse is it ? " Jackson replies ridiculously, " I'd like to ask Jesus Christ that in the future. "
    1:46 to 1:50 Angus Stewart states that , : " The 2 witness rule needed could be the circumstances involved as well. " He proves his point by showing how elders stake out homes all night lying in wait to see if someone has committed adultery with another- all based on circumstance. " Why not the same in child abuse cases ? "

This is a really interesting segment. It is in this exchange that Jackson reveals himself. At the 1:41:07 mark, Jackson reveals his anger. He sets his Bible down in frustration, almost contemptuously, angry that Stewart continues questioning after Jackson had so emphatically 'taught' Stewart the right answers. Jackson's gesture doesn't look like much, but it speaks volumes.

Following the 1:50 mark, Jackson loses his composure. He answers a couple questions with an "Umhumph", not even bothering to say "yes" - he is pissed. And then, right after that, at the 1:50:22 mark, he scratches his eye (the first face touch in his testimony - this is a signal he is being deceptive or angry - it is a defensive response) and he then appears puzzled and asks Stewart to "walk me through that a little further". Another signal that he is experiencing discomfort. It was an easy question, far easier than others that Jackson faced and indicates that his mind was actively involved with formulating his response - something that isn't necessary if you plan on telling the truth.

And then...the infamous watch check at 1:51:05. Jackson's gesture indicates two things: 1.) he would rather be somewhere else and 2.) contempt for Stewart for taking up his time.

• Heaven
    Heaven
    reddit EXJW - The Truth Hurts .... love it!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit