Groupthink

by NewYork44M 1 Replies latest jw experiences

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

I posted some information about this subject in another topic, but I thought the topic of groupthink deserves a seperate thread. So, here it is:

Irving Janis originally defined groupthink as a mode of thinking that people engage in when they are deeply involved in a cohesive in-group, when the members strivings for unanimity override their motivation to realistically appraise alternative courses of action." According to his definition, groupthink occurs only when cohesiveness is high. It requires that members share a strong we-feeling" of solidarity and desire to maintain relationships within the group at all costs. When colleagues operate in a groupthink mode, they automatically apply the preserve group harmony" test to every decision they face."

When I first read about the group think concept about 10 years ago, I was amazed as to how well it describes the Society. Here are Janis define symptoms of groupthink as and some comments related to these symptoms within the society

Illusion of Invulnerability. Janis summarizes this attitude as everything is going to work out all right because we are a special group. The society has defined their invulnerability based upon there supposed appoint by god as the Faithful and Discreet Slave. Thus, they can reason that any decision they make is correct because of their appoint by god.

Belief in Inherent Morality of the Group. Under the sway of groupthink, members automatically assume the rightness of their cause. Of course they are right they are appointed by God.

Collective Rationalization. This collective rationalization supported a mindset of hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil." - The society has no interest in descending attitudes. If you do not agree with the society, you are branded an apostate

Out-group Stereotypes. The collective attitude of looking down and discrediting those outside the group. They separate the world into those who have the truth and the "worldlings." If you do not have the truth as defined by the group, you are going to perish at Armageddon

Self-Censorship. Members within the group are afraid to voice an opinion outside the group consensus. See comment about apostates

Illusion of Unanimity. The society makes a VERY big deal about all speaking of one mind and one thought.

Direct Pressure on Dissenters. Exerting direct pressure on dissenters to join the group decision. The society threatens dissenters with excommunication

Self-Appointed Mindguards. Mindguards" protect a group from assault by troublesome ideas. I.e. body of elders.

The result of a groupthink mentality is that the group makes bad decisions. If you go through the many bad decisions of the society, you will see a groupthink mentality.

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

Great post. Better late than never to say "thank you".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit