And NOW a Puitzer Classic - I want to believe

by Gizmo 4 Replies latest social entertainment

• Gizmo
    Gizmo

Yes, Virginia, There is a Santa Claus

Dear Editor

I am 8 years old. Some of my little friends say there is no Santa Claus. Papa says, If you see it in The Sun, its so. Please tell me the truth, is there a Santa Claus?

Virginia OHanlon

Virginia, your little friends are wrong. They have been affected by the skepticism of a skeptical age. They do not believe except what they see. They think that nothing can be which is not comprehensible by their little minds. All minds, Virginia, whether they be mens or childrens, are little. In this great universe of ours, man is a mere insect, an ant, in his intellect as compared with the boundless world about him, as measured by the intelligence capable of grasping the whole of truth and knowledge.

Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus. He exists as certainly as love and generosity and devotion exist, and you know that they abound and give to your life its highest beauty and joy. Alas! how dreary would be the world if there were no Santa Claus! It would be as dreary as if there were no Virginias. There would be no childlike faith then, no poetry, no romance to make tolerable this existence. We should have no enjoyment, except in sense and sight. The external light with which childhood fills the world would be extinguished.

Not believe in Santa Claus! You might as well not believe in fairies. You might get your papa to hire men to watch in all the chimneys on Christmas eve to catch Santa Claus, but even if you did not see Santa Claus coming down, what would that prove? Nobody sees Santa Claus, but that is no sign that there is no Santa Claus. The most real things in the world are those that neither children nor men can see. Did you ever see fairies dancing on the lawn? Of course not, but thats no proof that they are not there. Nobody can conceive or imagine all the wonders there are unseen and unseeable in the world.

You tear apart the babys rattle and see what makes the noise inside, but there is a veil covering the unseen world which not the strongest man, nor even the united strength of all the strongest men that ever lived could tear apart. Only faith, poetry, love, romance, can push aside that curtain and view and picture the supernal beauty and glory beyond. Is it all real? Ah, Virginia, in all this world there is nothing else real and abiding.

No Santa Claus! Thank God! he lives and lives forever. A thousand years from now, Virginia, nay 10 times 10,000 years from now, he will continue to make glad the heart of childhood.

e babys rattle and see what makes the noise inside, but there is a veil covering the unseen world which not the strongest man, nor even the united strength of all the strongest men that ever lived could tear apart. Only faith, poetry, love, romance, can push aside that curtain and view and picture the supernal beauty and glory beyond. Is it all real? Ah, Virginia, in all this world there is nothing else real and abiding.

No Santa Claus! Thank God! he lives and lives forever. A thousand years from now, Virginia, nay 10 times 10,000 years from now, he will continue to make glad the heart of childhood.

• Beck_Melbourne
    Beck_Melbourne
    Not believe in Santa Claus! You might as well not believe in fairies.

Fairies are real...I've seen them walking down Chapel St on a Saturday night

~Beck~

• Reborn2002
    Reborn2002

Santa Claus is the greatest invention in the history of marketing to see to it parents run up thousands of dollars in credit card debt so greedy little rugrats can be showered with expensive items they didn't earn on a specific day sanctioned for gift-giving.

Call me Grinch or Scrooge if you like. I HATE Christmas. (and the entire month of December it is shoved down everyone's throat)

• Utopian_Raindrops
    Utopian_Raindrops

Reborn,

I spent too long as a JW to call you Scrooge! I hate,hate,hate X-mas....BUT...at the same time I LOVE to give to people and help people.

I hate the whole Santa thing and all the greed.....STILL,....there are those who are in need and like it or not it is this time of year that many groups focus on giving.

One of my fav things to do is donate to TOYS FOR TOTS....even as a JW I'd do this. I just couldn't stand the idea of children being taught this was Jesus Birthday and then not getting anything.

Today the children and I went TOY shopping And it was FUN!! Everything was for children who would normally do with out.

It feels good to do something for others and although the children and I try to do things all year......Now is the time different Charitys GIVE GIVE GIVE and I realy like being a part of that.

I know it wont fix all the problems of the world.....but sometimes all it takes is a band-aid for a person to make it another year...another week....another day. Knowing that some people out there who don't even know them.......are thinking about them ,praying for them.......and realy care.

Here's The Toys For Tots link

http://www.toysfortots.org/2002/index.html

and let's not forget Jess was an Angel.....and she still is

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.aspx?id=42286&site=3

Let those who want partake of the X-MAS HYPE........

For the rest of us it's the giving and sharing that make life special and brings people together.

Ciao 4 now

Agape,

Utopian_Raindrops

• joannadandy
    joannadandy
    Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus. He exists as certainly as love and generosity and devotion exist

So she finds out this guy is full of CRAP is she going to have to give up on love and generosity too?

I'm sorry, but I HATE the whole Santa deal. Why is it so wrong to know the gifts came from mom and dad? Is't that where the appreciation should always go? Not some mythic fat man. The whole Santa thing has always bothered me. Maybe that part of my witness past will never leave me, but I find it morally wrong to LIE to your kids about the gifts. That goes for the easter bunny and tooth fairy too.

I am all about fairytales don't get me wrong, encouraging imagination, and creating fun and magic for your kids, but out and out lying, like this guy is doing to this girl, just makes me ill.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit