(OT) ? For Audiophiles Here:

by Bendrr 5 Replies latest jw friends

• Bendrr
    Bendrr

I've seen some discussions in the past here and know a few of you know quite a bit about home stereo equipment so I thought I'd ask your input.

Next year I'll be building some new speakers for my home theatre. I'm using an Onkyo Dolby Digital receiver (probably upgrading to a newer model capable of DTS) and most of the time the system is for DVD movies. I want matching speakers all the way around: front left, right, and center, and the two rear surrounds. I'll probably be buying the drivers from partsexpress.com since they seem to sell good stuff at a fair price.

I've pretty much got the subwoofer selected and the woofers for the front and rear speakers. I was thinking of 2 woofers per speaker for the front left, right, and center, and rear surrounds. I think they call it a d'appolito array, on the front panel put a woofer on top, mid/tweet in the middle, and another woofer at the bottom. I've also got the woofers picked out. But for the mid/high range I came across a ribbon speaker that sounds interesting. The Bohlender-Graebner Neo8 Planar Transducer. Here's a link:

Just wanted to know if any of you audiophiles can tell me more about this speaker and whether I should invest in 5 of them for a Dolby Digital/DTS surround system.

Mike.

• IronGland
    IronGland

Edited by - Irongland on 18 December 2002 20:4:24

• Makena1
    Makena1

Bendrr - I might have been able to provide an opinion about 15-20 years ago when I was much more informed about higher end systems. (remember Magnaplane or Klipsch speakers?)

Now I am reading with interest, but with little understanding of the components you list. Currently I get by with all Polk speaker surround system. Ran wires through the walls and ceilings - placed the speakers and am pretty happy with the overall sound.

Don't know where you live, but I would love to give your system a listen when it's completed.

Happy hunting and building!

Mak

• jack2
    jack2

Bendrr, I may reply again later when I have a bit more time, but for now:

Transducers like the one you describe and are thinking about obtaining have some distinct advantages in reproducing midrange and treble sounds. They normally have what is sometimes termed excellent "transient" response, and they normally fairly effecient. However, sometimes they lack a bit in the area of dispersion and can sometimes 'beam' the sound, or tend to be directional; whereas dome drivers tend to have a broader dispersion pattern. I'll reply again later...gotta run.

• jack2
    jack2

.....back,

Reading the specs on the transducer that you have in mind, I see no reason why it should not provide good performance. However, as you likely know, with speakers and their components, specs don't mean a whole lot - the proof of performance is in the listening.

A few years ago, I used to own a pair of ESS loudspeakers which employed a similar midrange-tweeter driver called the Heil Air-Motion Transformer. It looked similar to the transducer pictured above, and it was based on a similar design, namely, a thin film-type diaphram behind a metal plate assembly. It sounded quite good.

As far as the array of the front panel, yes, it's called the D'Appolito array. One thing you may want to keep in mind is that, while such an array has advantages, there is a need to have the tweeter level at about ear-height (while sitting, of course) so that the vertical soundstage is accurately reproduced. I am not sure if you are building floor-standing or stand-mounted speakers as your mains.

Of course, as I am sure you realize, building a good speaker requires consideration of the interaction between the drivers, the cabinet, and the crossover network. Even manufacturers equipped with computer-aided design facilities find it a challenge to work all those considerations into a good-sounding speaker design. In answer to your question about whether or not you should invest in that transducer and use it, it's really hard to tell from here. Building a system should provide you with quite a few hours of satisfying and challenging work, and hopefully, a good-sounding system. In time, perhaps you can e-mail me and let me know how it turns out.

Oh, btw, I have owned Onkyo amps and receivers since I was a teenager. They make good-quality stuff at a reasonable price. Good choice.

• Bendrr
    Bendrr

Hi Jack and thanks for the replies. The speakers will be stand-mounted, probably custom built so I can put the Neo8 mid/tweets at ear level. I've come to learn about how to properly position speakers and I want a system that doesn't have one single "sweet-spot" but rather makes the whole room properly listenable. My living room dictates something with a wide horizontal dispersion and restricted vertical because of the size and layout. I'm hoping that the Neo's fit the bill.

Mak, anytime! Just come on over and we'll pop in a DVD and crack open a few cold ones!

Mike.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit