Dateline was a bunch of crap and lies

by ApagaLaLuz 4 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• ApagaLaLuz
    ApagaLaLuz

While looking for a funny pic of Jesus Christ to add to another thread I stumbled across this........

I have nothing to add to it. Let the bastards hang themselves.

Jehohava's Witnesses protecting thousands of abusers within their ranks
    Posted by AquaVelvet on Jul 16, 2002 at 09:24 AM
    A BBC investigation reveals that sex abuse scandals in the Catholic Church pale in comparison to what has been going on for years behind closed doors of the Jehovah's Witnesses. A former elder in the church admitted that the Watchtower Society has been protecting a secret database that lists almost 24,000 abusers within church ranks. [link] The famously cloistered religious sect, notorious in the US for bothersome door-to-door proselytizing, admits that disgraces like sex abuse allegations are rarely made public, even to police, and are traditionally regarded as the exclusive province of church elders.

The procedure unfolds roughly like this: when a victim reports his or her abuse to the church, an elder confronts the alleged abuser with the charge. According to their doctrine, if the accused denies the charge, the matter is dropped and the church "walks away" from it. The matter is left "for Jehova [to sort out]". The BBC report highlights the case of a teenage girl who went to elders after years of abuse by her father, only to have the inquiry abandoned when the father denied the accusations. The girl was sent back home where the abuse continued. Unbeknown to her at the time her older sister had gone to the church years before with details of her own abuse, only to have the investigation quit. Conservative Christian groups in this country call such scandals "aberrations" and have been heavily lobbying the President and Congress to strengthen privacy laws that limit how intrusive outside oversight of their organisation should be. But if there is one benefit to cases like this, or the scandals ripping through the Catholic Church, they provide a clear measure of where the line must be drawn. When the law is this obviously broken, or when the rights of others so horrendously violated, the matter should be ajudicated in a court of law, not in the musty offices of some wrinkled old church fogey.

COMMENTS [nested view][threaded view][Post A Comment]
    The comments are owned by the poster. We aren't responsible for their content.
    by Anonymous Coward on Jul 16, 2002 at 02:01 PM
    You make it sound like there is a rash of pedophilia in the Jehovah's Witness organization. As many of my family members are of this faith, I can attest to the fact that these are god-fearing and moral people, and the ones who are accused of child molestation - or anything for that matter - are banned from (officially called being disfellowshipped) attending meetings and association with the others. The matter is left for Jehovah to sort out, but not in the way you seem to think. According to their faith, the guilty person will have to answer to God when it is judgement time, and therefore the matter is out of their hands.

I do believe there are many case that go unreported to the authorities, and I can't exactly say why. It is up to the victim to take it to the police.

A few years ago it happened to a friend of mine. Her dad was an elder in the congregation, with a lot of moral responsibility. When it came out that he had been abusing her, he was immediately disfellowshiped, even though he denied it all. They decided they didn't have enough evidence to take it to court, and her parents got divorced, he lives somewhere far away and that's the end of it.

I wish I could explain these people and their faith in an understandable way, but everyone who has never been associated with them tend to make rash and sometimes unfair judgements against them.
    [Reply To This]
    by Anonymous Coward on Jul 16, 2002 at 02:03 PM
    Oh, and for the love of jeebus spell the name right. J-E-H-O-V-A-H.

That IS one of God's names you know, not just some made up moniker.

-CD
    [Reply To This]
    by RickySilk on Jul 16, 2002 at 02:07 PM
    I know nothing about the religion or it's belief's except that they seem to go door to door alot more than other religions.

Anyone remember that scene on Friday? "Well , fuuuuuuuuuck you"
    by blaid on Jul 16, 2002 at 05:49 PM
    With all due respect to AquaVelvet, this is dribble my friend. I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses. I can personally tell you, the mind numbing crap you saw on Dateline...that man was not only NOT a JW, but he was acting illegally when he taped a phone call to the Watchtower Bible And Tract Society in New York. This man was known as an apostate. (a-pos-state) Apostates are JW's that have been disfellowshiped for one reason or another, and have used their knowledge of our religion, to twist peoples perspective on us. Its not fair, but we have to deal with it....
    [Reply To This]
    by AquaVelvet on Jul 16, 2002 at 07:19 PM

I didn't see the Dateline thing, Blaid. I was actually basing my story on a BBC investigation. And while I'll acknowledge the problem is probably not as widespread as people might irrationally believe, I'll wager that the large number of protected abusers indicated in the report includes ALL cases that they have information on since records were kept and is not necessarily a wildly speculative figure afterall.

The problem of abuse and those who would hide is not confined to Catholics and Jehova's Witnesses alone - it is indemic to any organization that becomes overly adverse to outside scrutiny. That's what ALL scandals have in common. They become scandals because too many people keep quiet for too long a time.

P.S. Crazy D, it was a typo. I'll try not to let it happen again. Remember, I grew up in a faith that taught the true name of God was Yahweh. Yahweh?? It sounds like something you'd hear from the mouths of two old fisherman in Maine confused by a fork in the road. "Well see there, John, ya could go my way or yaw way, and you'd still be guaranteed to wind up somewheh."
    _________________________ _________
    Don't criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. Because then you will be a mile away, and you will have their shoes.

[Reply To This]
    by blaid on Jul 16, 2002 at 09:15 PM
    pronunuced Yaw-way, but spelled i believe incorectly. If you look it up though, you will notice that the english translation of the HEWBREW word yawweh (spelling) is in fact...Jehovah. a name that means, "He who comes to be"

[Reply To This]

edited to add: hey check out my new signature that I pulled straight out of this post

Edited by - CHEVYSNTATS on 18 December 2002 19:41:18

• Gopher
    Gopher

Bill Bowen was not an "apostate" or disfellowshipped one up until shortly before the Dateline broadcast. Their congregation was instructed to hold a "kangaroo court" and DF him before the broadcast, so as to try to discredit him. The JW's are mad that his tape (however he got it) exposed the WT Society's "do nothing" policy regarding molestors.

Bill kept poking and poking at a sore spot, and has continued to do so. No matter what you think of his tactics, he is on the right side of the issue, and that is that children need to be protected from monsters within the congregations of Jehovah's Witnesses. The number of these monster/molestors numbers into the thousands.

What the first respondent on the above thread said is not true -- that those accused of molestation are disfellowshipped. Quite the contrary. Mostly because the accusers are solo and don't have an eyewitness to back up their story, so they're told to shut up or face the humiliation of shunning and disfellowshipping.

In the congregation of the Minnesota molestor being put on trial, several of his victims have been shamed into silence. Only Heidi and now one other (Amber) have publicly come forward to try to put the creep behind bars, while the JW's say that Heidi "misunderstood" the intentions of her attacker.

Those who defend the JW's on this one are part of the problem and not part of the solution.

Edited by - Gopher on 18 December 2002 19:51:38

• ballistic
    ballistic

http://www.kungfoo.com/index.php/news/1300

Just so you know, that thread continues to get hits, and they note the posting of it here. Seems JWs are out there posting on non-religious boards - interesting.

• Odrade
    Odrade

HEY! This commenter is OUR Blaid! Hahahaha! Wow, things change, huh?

Odrade

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

I am pretty sure that Bill Bowen was disfellowshipped AFTER the airing of the Dateline segment. It seems to me, but I may be wrong, that they held the KangarooCourt (KC), but wouldn't let him in because he had media with him, so they held it several days/weeks later. I think the only persons on that show that were disfellowshipped at the time of airing were Erica, her parents, Holly, and her Mother.

Country Girl

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit