sacred secret

by peacefulpete 5 Replies latest watchtower bible

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

hello all, it has been a while and much has happend.I have been reunited with my wife who has left the witnesses as a result of pursuing research on the origins of the Christian theology.It is very hard on her now and I hope I can be enough support to get her through this. the point of this post is to make plain what was once secret. Most all of us recognize Dec 25 as a date once reserved for celebrating the winter solstice by honoring various sun gods or god's associated with light. Yet it apears to have become established by 200ce as a "christian holiday celebrating the birth of it's light bearing savior. How could this happen? why accepted so readily? The answer becomes clear when we learn just how many christian teachings and legends mirror more ancient "pagan" mythologies.The word mythology is of course inflammatory as all religions when out of favor are mythologies. Palestine was a melting pot of Indian,Persian,Babylonian,Egyptian and Greek cultures. Familiar recurring motifs included the dying and raising god/man/son of god story, they all had at least one.Some of the details surrounding the birth of these saviors are very familiar to us. for example: Immaculate conception/virgin birth/divine father Buddha, Horis Attis,Mithra,Krishna and scores of others. Mother's name Mary or local variants Buddha,Hermes,Bacchus,at least 10 others Born in a manger /stable Krishna,Horus,others Star indicating place of birth and gifts given the child was part of the Buddha and Krishna tradition also, gold frankincense and myrrh given to Kishna. Evil King killing children fearing rival. Horus and Krishna,others Heavenly singing accompanies most births narratives even that of Confucius Parents traveling while pregnant to pay taxes was part of the Krishna story. Divine/angelic announcement of conception and child's destiny:Osirus,Buddha,others 12 years old and teaching in temple:Buddha . Trained as carpenter:Buddha,Salivahana(9th incarnation of Indra) It can be strongly argued that every element of Chritianity was borrowed from or at least inspired by the religious environment in which it sprouted. No wonder in all this confusion, no qualms were made when a few new pagan elements were encorporated, such as Dec 25 being Jesus birthdate.It was already being celebrated as the birthday of Mithras,Saturnus,Attis,Buddha,Dionysus and other savior god/men teachers. Old myths die hard.

Edited by - peacefulpete on 18 December 2002 16:32:57

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

I wrote a full page but only 2 lines were posted. why? what did I do?

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

the full posting appears below when replies are made, why is it not on the first page?

• Navigator
    Navigator

Peaceful Pete

Yes, I've always had some reservations about the Xmas story. As far as I know, the slaughter of the children by Herod has never been confirmed outside of the bible. Nevertheless, the Xmas celebration is a wonderful time to become aware of the only thing that counts. That is the birth of the Christ within ourselves. I believe the Christ presence is that part of us which remembers our true heritage as children of the Most High. Unless the Christ is born again within us, the celebration is meaningless.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Navigator,

Which Jesus is in your heart? The fabled miracle worker cast in the image of pagan deities, or the historical Jewish troublemaker who was killed likely for sedition? The beauty of Christianity or any other religion reflects an innate human beauty. We have the potential for generosity,compassion,justice etc within ourselves.These elements of human nature have served to prosper us as a species.As modern people we should look through the lens of science and history and realize that we no longer need to literalize mythology to feel compelled to be the best we can. Animals "feel" as we "feel" but only humans can apply logic to abstract concepts.The better we get at being human the better the world will be.

• Navigator
    Navigator

PeacefulPete

I said the Christ in our hearts. Didn't say anything about Jesus. We all of us have the potential to become the Christ. I consider that Jesus is our brother, not our God. He certainly was a troublemaker. I think the Romans crucified him primarily to appease the Jewish leaders.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit