Hard nuts part 2

by Nathan 4 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Nathan
    Nathan

Thanks for sharing your experiences and ideas about how people leave. Themes were that people leave when they are ready, when they take an honest look at their beliefs and open their mind up to information from outside of the organisation, and I guess, other personal factors. The timing and individual are important here. I guess here is the value of making quality written material accessible as can be found on the internet.

I guess in talking with JWs maybe the most to hope for, particularly since I don't know where they are privately in their commitment, might be to plant seeds. Someone suggested to be patient and subtle. That makes a lot of sense. Forcing views fosters defensiveness and further entrenching in one's views.

I consider myself an ecclectic counsellor. I do more supervisory/admin/training work these days but still have the opportunies to keep my counselling practice up. I have been trained in at least 6 different therapeutic models and my approach is to adopt the model most appropriate for the individual. As my counselling is predominantly single-session counselling, I tend mostly to use a brief cognitive behavioural / solution oriented model.

As far as change in counselling goes, there is a model of change, particularly useful for addictions. It goes something like this, precontemplative (I don't have a problem), contemplative (maybe I got a problem), action (I have a problem and I will work on it), maintainence (I will keep doing what is needed and watch out for relapse), and then relapse (returning to former problem behaviour). It is suggested to evaluate where people are on this change and adjust the counselling interventions accordingly. In the first two stages the counsellor seeks to raise awareness / anxiety, explore benefits and not-so good elements of problem behaviour, tap into hopes, build confidence and build importance for change. In the others he focuses more on action. I think JWs are in various degrees of this change process, so our outreach efforts should be adapted accordingly.

Someone raised the point that you cannot help a person change who is not motivated to or is mandated. I don't believe this. A counsellor can people explore what they really want, what blocks them from what they want, the parts of them that are okay about their behaviour and the parts of them that are not okay with it, how they can get what they want (happiness, security, love, power) without the negative consequences of their dysfunctional behaviour. A drug addict wants to feel good, or not feel bad, so he engages in his drug taking behaviour. It works in the short term but often in the long term undermines these goals. Counsellors help people want to change, and then try to assist them to change. They try to do this respectfully rather than manipulatively. They attempt to value the hopes of the client, not impose their own goals on them. We display empathy, not criticism. They try to get the client to examine their behaviour to see if that if it is really getting them what they want. If we try to impose our values on them, disrespect the JW, or try to manipulate them, we are not being respectful and we can expect resistance. We are no better than the WT. Maybe adapting the counselling values to this context might be useful.

What motivates the JW? A desire for divine acceptance? Social acceptance? Fear of loosing loved ones. Fear of being classed as 'bad' (shame avoidance). Or stated positively needing security? Needing acceptance? Wanting comfort or ease (someone to do the thinking for them)? I don't know. Maybe exploring what motivates the JW lies a key to helping them want to change.

BTW I live in Brisbane, Australia. I notice Ed also lives there. Who knows, we might be neighbours!

These are just some of my rambling ideas. Maybe others might build off them.

Regards

Nathan

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Olympus/4609/JW/

• Ed
    Ed

BTW I live in Brisbane, Australia. I notice Ed also lives there. Who knows, we might be neighbours!

Small world, eh?

What motivates a JW - can be any number of things. And I guess it depends on whether you were born into the religion or not. Some are drawn to the people themselves, some find the JW beliefs very attractive (Eternal Life in Paradise - go on, tell me you're not tempted to join up right now), others probably just like the idea that they have found the Truth and therefore don't need to look any further for it.

Probably the main thing that keeps them there once they're in (besides fear of being alienated from friends and family) is that they are constantly reminded that the End is right around the corner... it's getting closer... that's right, the End is almost upon us... yes, any minute now.... and survival is dependent on being an active member of the congregation. The WT organisation likens itself to Noah's Ark - you're either in it or you're out of it, and you will only live if you're in. This is drummed into the members to the point where they equate leaving the organisation with eternal destruction, a very scary prospect indeed. At the same time, having this belief is sort of exciting because you can escape from the problems of life anytime you want by reminding yourself that it's all only temporary, that you'll have the last laugh when God shows up soon and wipes out whoever is giving you grief.

So basically, for believing JWs, leaving the WT organisation means giving up their hope for the future.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Well put, to both earlier posters

Lets face it , many just dont have the guts to really question their beliefs because the emotional cost is far too great. Can they admit to themselves that they have been wrong all these years?

Do they want to face it? Much safer to stay in the same groove,keep the same friends ,stay where you are liked and respected .

It was very hard for me to admit these things to myself - to recognise that i had largely wasted my life pursueing a cause that is just not true. It took a special event to shake me out of the rut ,otherwise I might still be there - trying to "Build up my spirituality " when the obvious questions crossed my mind

• Nathan
    Nathan

So it seems, to sum up your replies, that fear (of emotional costs, annihilation, etc) and security (knowing I am in the truth etc) are some of the predemoninate motivating forces? I think maybe pride too (we are better [more moral, more wise] than non JWs).

Nathan

• Ed
    Ed

So it seems, to sum up your replies, that fear (of emotional costs, annihilation, etc) and security (knowing I am in the truth etc) are some of the predemoninate motivating forces? I think maybe pride too (we are better [more moral, more wise] than non JWs).

Exactly right. There is a very strong "US vs THEM" mentality that goes along with it. As a JW you become very good at spotting "worldly" people (non-believers). The way they dress, their jewelery, how they speak. Do they smoke, do they have facial hair, do they have tattoos or body piercings? What about their preference in music or artwork? There's always something that gives them away, and you're looking for these things (at least subconsciously) and judging people pretty much all the time. It gets quite exhausting, and it's one thing I definitely don't miss.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit