What is their official explanation for not allowing beards?

by keyser soze 53 Replies latest jw friends

• DwainBowman
    DwainBowman

Because we said so! DAMM IT!

😁Dwain

• InquiryMan
    InquiryMan

One cannot say that beards are banned. In some ways it is also a cultural issue.

When attending an assembly jn Denmark, one of the Elders giving a talk had a beard and several in the audience as well.

In Sweden and Norway however, beards are not accepted among witnesses.

Also, beards are common among JWs men in countries like the Netherlands and Ireland (this is something I have been told, but Denmark I know for sure).

• notoneoftheboys
    notoneoftheboys
    The CO, member of Toronto Bethel Pasternack, and my body of elders said, "We follow the GB rules re:beards. Because JEh. speaks to them through holy spirit. Then later the dreaded back room, where I was told not to question the authority of the org. I was treated like I had blasphemed, it was a small crack in my faith that appeared that day, should have followed my instinctive feeliings, There are no beards allowed its unwritten rule, the GB says so, I should have faded sooner.
  • punkofnice
    punkofnice

There was never anything in writing about it as far as I recall. However, it is an unwritten law. When I was talk co-ordinator for the congregation, my instruction from the CoBE was that no brothers with beards were allowed to give public talks in our hall. Also, brothers with beards were not used on a$$emb£ies.

As Teryy said, it's a control/obedience mechanism. Legend has it that it began with Rutherford to show is distain for Russell who had father Christmas face fuzz.

I would like the ARC to question his holiness Jehovhahahaha Jackson about that subject. No doubt the response would be: 'Anyone is free to grow a beard.' .........no mention of the bullying, loss of privilege(tm) and shame that comes with growing facial hair.

• R. Jerome Harris
    R. Jerome Harris

Here is the REAL REASON why beards are not allowed: Because they do not present an Anglo-Saxon/European image. The WT organization is all about image.

One interesting fact is in Nazi Germany, the wearing of beards among men were discouraged.

Facial hair was a symbol of pride among the Jews. Nazis would shave the heads of the captured Jews not only to humiliate them, but also to identify them should they escape.

Likewise, within the WT organization, it is easy to identify who is a JW male. If he has a beard, all in the congregation knows that he is not a JWs.

The idea is to take people of all colors and nationalities and dress them up like the Anglo-Saxon/European. Thus, African people are made to dress in a manner differently than their natural cultural norm. Shirts and neckties are placed on them. (Neckties are Victorian in origin).

Yet, The Most High God does not see the external appearance of a person, but rather the heart of a person.

The grooming standard of the WT organization is biased and it is based on a standard from one particular race among the human family.

This is another example of teaching and practicing what Christ did not.

• Billyblobber
    Billyblobber
    ...large companies have grooming standards...

This logic is such crap, and I've heard it as well. I work for the 6th and 66th largest corporations on the planet, and the grooming codes for them are officially "come with what you feel is appropriate" for both.

It's funny how that has changed. It used to be "businessmen" but then you get people like Steve Jobs, etc. tearing up the world with beards. Last time I heard it, it was "the president of the United States doesn't have a beard!"

• Billy ex Blaze
    Billy ex Blaze
    I once knew this JW guy who was in icu for over a week. Didn't shave well there. When the elders came to visit they got on him for having a beard!
  • blondie
    blondie

Strain out the gnat but gulp down the camel

• jhine
    jhine

Are women allowed beards ? Cus if not I"m out !

Jan

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

I'm sure it's been said or alluded to - but it's basically an unwritten rule based on a few letters about not having beards and a few references in the magazines that associate beards to negative things.

The reality of it is that it falls right in line with one of their favorite quotes - "those faithful in what is least will be faithful in what is most." They usually use this as an exhortation to be faithful in small things because you'll be strengthened, but there's actually a clear psychological effect that causes people who are willing to submit to a small display of obedience becoming more likely to obey more significant orders afterwards. It's a similar effect as the source of people "throwing good money after bad" at a poker table, or in business. They've made a small investment and rather than come to terms with the fact that this was a wasted investment, they'd rather make ever increasing investments.

I had a discussion with a friend of mine the other day and I got to talking about all the unscriptural rules that the GB puts upon JWs, likening them to the pharisees that jesus said had invalidated the word of god through their traditions of men. He maintained that they were there for the protection of the stupid/weak ones - i.e. no beards because it might stumble someone. When I told him that their order not to have beards stumbled me, he just stared at me and changed the subject.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit