WTS and ISBN

by Roddy 8 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Roddy
    Roddy

I've been curious about something. Anyone has speculation or fact why the WTS doesn't register their books with the ISBN? (www.isbn.org) Every book worth anything carries an ISBN number. Even books published by private publishers. Given the publishing capacity of the WTS organization, I'm rather surprised that all their books lack ISBN. Seems strange.

Any thoughts?

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW

I guess you have to pay a fee to the ISBN-Organization. And it only makes sense when orders are taken through the normal book store. As we all know this is not the usual way of selling WT literature.

But I remember a RV when I came back and she had ordered a book that had been advertised on the back of a WT. She ordered it at a book store. She said it was very cheap: 7,50 DEM. Well, the Society sold it for 2,50 DEM.

But I remember a time when the German magazines had a registered number. But that was omitted years ago.

• Sangdigger
    Sangdigger

Probably another attempt to isolate themselves from the "World"

• Roddy
    Roddy

>I guess you have to pay a fee to the ISBN-Organization. And it only makes sense when orders are taken through the normal book store. As we all know this is not the usual way of selling WT literature.<<

Perhaps but it is a small fee as even small publishers ISBN their works. Must be for act of getting your work cataloged and issued a catalog number.

The WTS is a billion dollar corporation.

• Roddy
    Roddy

>>Probably another attempt to isolate themselves from the "World"<<

True. But someone told me that a most likely reason is because the WTS really doesn't like their publications to be "remembered".

As a publishing company, what the WTS fears the most is her own publications. ISBN cataloging also subjects published work to archiving, such as the Library of Congress and other mega libraries around the world. Whatever the WTS prints today she will have to hope people will forget about tomorrow, or worse, hope she doesn't have to defend or explain a reversal or answer criticism that she is regurgitating the same old material over and over again!

• Scully
    Scully

My guess is that they don't want a complete collection of all their "works" held by people who could scrutinize and critique them. After all, that's what we "apostates" do, and they HATE us!!

Love, Scully

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I would write a letter to the WTS, however they seem to have stopped responsing to my letters.

Is there anyone else who can write a letter to them and simply ask?

• blondie
    blondie

http://catalog.loc.gov/cgi-bin/Pwebrecon.cgi?DB=local&PAGE=First

http://catalog.loc.gov/cgi-bin/Pwebrecon.cgi?Search_Arg=Rutherford%2C+Joseph&Search_Code=NAME_&PID=1303&CNT=25&BROWSE=3&HC=28&SID=1

I looked up on the Library of Congress to see what they have: This was just one page of 28 total selections. There are more.

#Name Heading Name: Main Author, Creator, etc. Full Title Date
    [ 1 ]Rutherford, Joseph F. 1869- [from old catalog]Rutherford, Joseph F. 1869- [from old catalog]Good news, explained in seven Bible treatises.1932
    ACCESS:
    Jefferson or Adams Bldg General or Area Studies Reading Rms
    CALL NUMBER:
    BX8526 .R86385
    [ 2 ]Rutherford, Joseph F. 1869- [from old catalog]Rutherford, Joseph F. 1869- [from old catalog]Government; the indisputable evidence showing that the peoples of earth shall have a righteous government and explaining the manner of its establishment,1928
    ACCESS:
    CALL NUMBER:
    BX8526 .R864
    [ 3 ]Rutherford, Joseph F. 1869- [from old catalog]Rutherford, Joseph F. 1869- [from old catalog]Home and happiness, explained in seven Bible treatises,1932
    ACCESS:
    CALL NUMBER:
    BX8526 .R8654
    [ 4 ]Rutherford, Joseph F. 1869- [from old catalog]Rutherford, Joseph F., 1869- [from old catalog]What you need, explained in seven Bible treatises,1932
    ACCESS:
    CALL NUMBER:
    BX8526 .R887
    [ 5 ]Rutherford, Joseph F. 1869- [from old catalog]Rutherford, Joseph F., 1869- [from old catalog]Heaven and purgatory,1931
    ACCESS:
    CALL NUMBER:
    BX8526 .R86533
    [ 6 ]Rutherford, Joseph F. 1869- [from old catalog]Rutherford, Joseph F., 1869- [from old catalog]Dividing the peole,1933
    ACCESS:
    CALL NUMBER:
    BX8526 .R86365
    [ 7 ]Rutherford, Joseph F. 1869- [from old catalog]Rutherford, Joseph F., 1869- [from old catalog]Prosperity sure,1928
    ACCESS:
    CALL NUMBER:
    BX8526 .R875
    [ 8 ]Rutherford, Joseph F. 1869- [from old catalog]Rutherford, Joseph F., 1869- [from old catalog]Prohibition and the League of nations; born of God or the devil, which?1930
    ACCESS:
    CALL NUMBER:
    HV5089 .R87
    [ 9 ]Rutherford, Joseph F. 1869- [from old catalog]Rutherford, Joseph F., 1869- [from old catalog]Heareafter, explained in seven Bible treatises,1932
    ACCESS:
    CALL NUMBER:
    BX8526 .R86535
    [ 10 ]Rutherford, Joseph F. 1869- [from old catalog]Rutherford, Joseph F., 1869- [from old catalog]Oppression, when will it end?1929
    ACCESS:
    CALL NUMBER:
    BX8526 .R873
    [ 11 ]Rutherford, Joseph F. 1869- [from old catalog]Rutherford, Joseph F., 1869- [from old catalog]Crimes and calamities;1930
    ACCESS:
    CALL NUMBER:
    BX8526 .R8635
    [ 12 ]Rutherford, Joseph F. 1869- [from old catalog]Rutherford, Joseph F., 1869- [from old catalog]What is truth? Explained in seven Bible treatises,1932
    ACCESS:
    CALL NUMBER:
    BX8526 .R886
    [ 13 ]Rutherford, Joseph F. 1869- [from old catalog]Rutherford, Joseph F., 1869- [from old catalog]Keys of heaven, explained in seven Bible treatises,1932
    ACCESS:
    CALL NUMBER:
    BX8526 .R8663
    [ 14 ]Rutherford, Joseph F. 1869- [from old catalog]Rutherford, Joseph F., 1869- [from old catalog]Beyond the grave,1934
    ACCESS:
    CALL NUMBER:
    BX8526 .R862
    [ 15 ]Rutherford, Joseph F. 1869- [from old catalog]Rutherford, Joseph F., 1869- [from old catalog]War or peace, which?1930
    ACCESS:
    CALL NUMBER:
    BX8526 .R885
    [ 16 ]Rutherford, Joseph F. 1869- [from old catalog]Rutherford, Joseph F., 1869- [from old catalog]World recovery? explained in five Bible treatises,1934
    ACCESS:
    CALL NUMBER:
    BX8526 .R895
    [ 17 ]Rutherford, Joseph F. 1869- [from old catalog]Rutherford, Joseph F., 1869- [from old catalog]Who is God? Explained in seven Bible treatises,1932
    ACCESS:
    CALL NUMBER:
    BX8526 .R888
    [ 18 ]Rutherford, Joseph F. 1869- [from old catalog]Rutherford, Joseph F., 1869- [from old catalog]Health and life, explained in seven Bible treatises,1932
    ACCESS:
    CALL NUMBER:
    BX8526 .R8653
    [ 19 ]Rutherford, Joseph F. 1869- [from old catalog]Rutherford, Joseph F., 1869- [from old catalog]Final war, explained in seven Bible treatises,1932
    ACCESS:
    CALL NUMBER:
    BX8526 .R8638
    [ 20 ]Rutherford, Joseph F. 1869- [from old catalog]Rutherford, Joseph F., 1869- [from old catalog]Liberty, explained in seven Bible treatises,1932
    ACCESS:
    CALL NUMBER:
    BX8526 .R8675
    [ 21 ]Rutherford, Joseph F. 1869- [from old catalog]Rutherford, Joseph F., 1869- [from old catalog]Last days,1928
    ACCESS:
    CALL NUMBER:
    BX8526 .R867
    [ 22 ]Rutherford, Joseph F. 1869- [from old catalog]Rutherford, Joseph F., 1869- [from old catalog]His works, explained in seven Bible treatises,1934
    ACCESS:
    CALL NUMBER:
    BX8526 .R86537
    [ 23 ]Rutherford, Joseph F. 1869- [from old catalog]Rutherford, Joseph F., 1869- [from old catalog]Cause of death explained in seven Bible treatises,1932
    ACCESS:
    CALL NUMBER:
    BX8526 .R8625
    [ 24 ]Rutherford, Joseph F. 1869- [from old catalog]Rutherford, Joseph F., 1869- [from old catalog]Escape to the kingdom,1933
    ACCESS:
    CALL NUMBER:
    BX8526 .R8637
    [ 25 ]Rutherford, Joseph F. 1869- [from old catalog]Rutherford, Joseph F., 1869- [from old catalog]Intolerance, explained in two Bible treatises,1933
    ACCESS:
    CALL NUMBER:
    BX8526 .R8655
  • GermanXJW
    GermanXJW

I don't know if this has something to do with the topic.

Until 1990 the magazines in Germany had a code in the upper right corner.

The Watchtower 1Y7003D
    Awake! 1Y3064D

That stopped with the issue of 15th/22nd Dec 1990.

Any explanation?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit