A call for "essays"

by Decidedly_Unsure 9 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Decidedly_Unsure
    Decidedly_Unsure

Someone, I believe it may have been Farkel, suggested that there are no more meaty doctrinal issues to be discussed on this board. That being the case, I would like to solicit the help of the more capable posters on something that could be of tremendous help to, not just myself, but perhaps other lurkers as well.

The requirement is for someone like myself who is still actively attending only because of a close family member or friend who is still in. Assuming that individual, like many Jdubs, has a couple of nagging doubts, there is a need to introduce the real truth about the truth. The problem is direct confrontation with quotes or references from anti-J. W. sites such as these causes immediate panic to set in as the apostate alarm bells go off.
    Do you think it is at all possible to develop a relatively short essay that can be sent out in the form of an email which asks pertinent questions to a loyal but thinking Jdub? Perhaps this is already been done but as a lurker since the H2O days I have not seen such a script.
    An email like this would need to start off fairly innocently, as originating from a concerned brother for example. A number of pointed questions could be gradually developed around inconsistencies, perhaps even introducing a couple "light" doctrinal issues.(Long convoluted arguments would probably throw off the reader of the e-mail before serious doubts get planted).

Someone like myself could then say Hey ____ you know I got this email from someone did you get it? What did you think of so and so?

The obvious question is why don't you write it yourself? Well one answer is, there are far more skilled writers here than I could possibly dream of being. Secondly, discerning spouses, would easily recognize our writing styles. Thirdly, it is an alternative to fluff.
    Hey, we could even have a contest for the essay that was most effective.

Any thoughts on whether this is at all practical?

Thanks
    decidedly_ unsure

• jgnat
    jgnat

I would not spam an unsuspecting Witness. It amounts to a "cold call"; uninvited and unwelcome. Reminds me of door-to-door work. What would be more useful is short study articles available for those who are having doubts. Loving friends and relatives can pick a study topic and present it to the doubting Dub. I would suggest a question format with scripture references large blank spaces for the Witness to insert their own thoughts. The more independent thinking is encouraged, the better, my opinion. What would be good topics to start out with?

How about:

• How can we discern a true prophet?
    • What is the Good News that we preach?
  • Decidedly_Unsure
    Decidedly_Unsure

J I like your concept generally, but in a sense we're back to the original problem. How do you introduce these "study articles"? A typical response may be, "Where'd you get those? Is that apostate literature?"

As regards the e-mail I wasn't seeing it as being spam. The idea is that individuals like me could send it specificlly to loved ones. It's not a mass mailer where I send it to every Jdub. From the recipients point of view, (if the essay is cleverly developed) the e-mail could have come (and does in fact) from any of the concerned friends.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Hi Decidedly_Unsure,

The greatest obstacle to the sucess of your idea is that JWs are conditioned to go into full condition red alert whenever they read one sentence that challenges the divine authority of the "Faithful and Disceet Slave."

I was a Dub for more than 20 years, and I've been out now for almost as long.

When I was in and "going with the program" I knew that the "evil slave" class (there wasn't a lot of talk about "apostates" back in the 1970's) posed a MAJOR threat to my spiritual health. I actually knew of a couple of brothers in my area who were swayed by the "evil slave." I had absolutely NO curiousity about what the "evil slave" was teaching; in fact, I was actually more interested in what the practicioners of voodoo, santaria and satanism believed than I was in anything that the "evil slave" might say, because I was conditioned to believe that what the "evil slave' taught could result in my immediate spiritual death, whereas "mere" satanism, santaria or voodoo were simply at the far end of the spectrum of impotent false religion.

The "evil slave" was off the charts, in a realm to themselves, a real threat to lovers of righteousness like myself.

Well, that was what I thought.

My point is that the truth about the WTS existed back then - in fact, it was easily accessable in the Society's own older publications back then - the KH library had bunches of old books, and many Dubs, myself included, collected the older books. Did I actually thoughtfully read them? NO.

It is true that as Farkel said, during the past twenty yearsof so an excellent body of work has been prepared by the "elders" of the internet apostates. Because of the intenet these lamps of truth shine far and wide, casting their illumination across national boundaries.In addition to the information, there is now a community of XJWs of every stripe, and that's a good thing.

It wasn't until my own cognitive dissonance began and I needed to find out if I was the only crazy person that I began to look at what the "evil slave" and "apostates" had to say. I had to come to the conclusion that religion was a snare and a racket first, on my own, as a result of what I personally experienced, not as a result of what someone else wanted to tell me.

For that reason I agree with Jgnat - the best thing to do is to ask leading open-ended questions, not to get up on a virtual soapbox and start preaching.

Of course, I could be wrong...

Edited by - Nathan Natas on 16 December 2002 10:5:13

• Hmmm
    Hmmm

I am squarely in the "no matter how compelling your argument, they won't listen until they're ready" camp.

I think that an email or letter that starts off innocently, then sneaks in a minor doctrinal issue will remind JWs too much of a Theocratic Ministry School talk or Service Meeting demonstration. They are taught to turn any conversation to 'spiritual matters,' and they'll see when it's being done to them. Couple that with the hypersensitivity to criticism of the bOrg that's been drilled into them since day one, and I think chances are close to nil that they would get past the first paragraph.

Of course, I'm not saying that you shouldn't present appropriate information to your friends and loved ones; just don't expect them to have a Road To Damascus experience. There is enough damning evidence available to "thinking JWs"... it'll be there for them when they're finally ready to listen.

Hmmm

• Decidedly_Unsure
    Decidedly_Unsure

Nathan, you said:
    ===================================================================================================================
    The "evil slave" was off the charts, in a realm to themselves, a real threat to lovers of righteousness like myself.
    ===================================================================================================================
    Therein lies the problem/solution. There needs to be information coming, not from the evil slave, but a "brother" who may be having some of the same nagging feelings they may be supppressing.

You also said:
    ====================================================================================================================
    For that reason I agree with Jgnat - the best thing to do is to ask leading open-ended questions, not to get up on a virtual soapbox and start preaching.
    =====================================================================================================================
    Once, some months ago, I actually did something like that in relation to birthdays/holidays and (gasp) the authority of the (FDS). There was no downright resistance, she even agreed somewhat on the really minor stuff. As things began to get a bit more weighty, one could see a certain barrier of fear surfacing. At that point it was suggested that I could perhaps raise these concerns with one of the nicer elders in the cong. Naturally I didn't and there's been no discussion since then. I know there may be small doubts on her ppart still.

I just wonder if there was an e-mail from "one of the friends", if this may not provide some added momentum for persons in such situations?? i.e. It's not just me, it's not just "spouse", it seems that there might be others who may have the same concerns too.
    Again the concerns would have to be expressed in a very respectful and concerned manner.

Do you think the "momentum" concept is of any value?

• Decidedly_Unsure
    Decidedly_Unsure

Hmmm

=========================================================================
    an email or letter that starts off innocently, then sneaks in a minor doctrinal issue will remind JWs too much of a Theocratic Ministry School talk or Service Meeting demonstration.
    =========================================================================
    what if the script purported to help them think about difficult situations to overcome in the ministry? A la :

I met someone in field service who refused to take the mags. She said that her grandmother had some Awake magazines that said how getting a transplant was wrong because it was like being a cannibal, and how Aluminium cookware is killing millions of people in the world. She said that Jehovahs witnesses have to believe every thing their leaders tell them because theyre not to question any teachings from the top? She also said that people from other religions, leave to join the JWs because the JWs literature points out flaws in their churches. But if other churches or independent people publish things about JW flaws we cant read it.
    I said of course we could! Then she asked me if I would like to read an independent study about what we do and teach. I guess I hesitated before I said no. But then it got me thinking, since we have the truth, should we be afraid to hear what other people (even opposers ) say? .
    Am I being spiritually weak? What would you have done? Etc etc

Any chance of stuff like this working? What's your opinion?

• Nathan
    Nathan

I applaud any ideas for trying to assist JWs to see the errors of their beliefs and practices. I further applaud anyone trying to assist JWs into a relationship with God based on Truth.

In your idea, I like the way you are considering tactics that may increase the chance of prompting the JW to think about these issues. Preparing a written tool is powerful, and being creative in the way of getting it to the JWs attention I think is worth developing. I also note some posts raising the ethical issues involved such as the ethics of spamming them (even if done considering the person's best interest). What to say, how to say it, and how to deliver it, whom should deliver it, all need to be carefully considered (letting ethical principles also guide us). How can it's impact be maximised ethically? I see potential in the idea that is worth brainstorming. It could develop into another powerful tool for helping the captives freed.

Don't get discouraged. Keep working on it. Who knows where these ideas might take you? I am thrilled to hear people putting their heads together and being inspired to help others. Keep it up.

Regards

Nathan

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Olympus/4609/JW/

• Farkel
    Farkel

Here's some heavy-duty stuff:

Osarsif's Site

Farkel

• Decidedly_Unsure
    Decidedly_Unsure

========================================================================================================================================
    Preparing a written tool is powerful, and being creative in the way of getting it to the JWs attention I think is worth developing. I also note some posts raising the ethical issues involved such as the ethics of spamming them (even if done considering the person's best interest). What to say, how to say it, and how to deliver it, whom should deliver it, all need to be carefully considered (letting ethical principles also guide us). How can it's impact be maximised ethically? I see potential in the idea that is worth brainstorming.
    ========================================================================================================================================

Thanks for the thoughtful reply, Nathan.
    Such a project, as you seem to suggest, would be most successful when based on a collaborative approach, based on exchange of ideas. I suspect that, because the vast majority of posters on this board have already left, there may not be that much interest. While I could attempt something on my own, it would be better to involve others if possible. Could you reccomend, perhaps another "JW" board where there may be others who might be interested? (Perhaps a board with more active JWs who already know the Truth)

Farkel
    That was a fantastic reference. Reading material for weeks (if not months)!!!
    Of course you realise the stuff there may be a bit too weighty for the average Jdub having the first pangs of doubt. The logic in those essays and the excellent use of the JWs own references is just so damned good, it will scare them off. One would probably have to begin with some kind of hazy, fuzzy questions like:

"Is it being spiritually weak to think about ...... ?
    Is it being spiritually weak to do ............... ?
    Howcum we were told we could do .. a few years ago but now it's .... or is it really ..... ??
    It's true the FDS are just imperfect men doing their best to do Jah's will but was it wrong for us to do --- when they said to do ---- but Jah said to do ..... in the bible? Would he be thinking we're following men and not him? We really just want what's best for Jah, ourselves and the FDS!! "

etc etc

Basically, it would be great to come up with stuff that can keep pushing the envelope just enough that if they stop reading, they would have ingested enough "cult-serum/poison?" to be prepared for a little research.

I'm trying but I don't have the real mind of the typical fully-indoctrinated JW in that I wasn't born into a JW family and I fing there alarm bells go off a lot faster than mine would have before I discovered the real "truth "!

Hope to get some more feedback.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit