Witness personality traits?

by happysunshine 8 Replies latest jw experiences

• happysunshine
    happysunshine

Does being raised as a Witness encourage the development of certain personality traits, good or bad? How about X-Witnesses? -J

Edited by - happysunshine on 14 December 2002 5:7:5

• hippikon
    hippikon

IS DUPLICITY BAD ?

• Dizzy Cat
    Dizzy Cat

I am sorry about the formating of the following text - the browser screwed up and it was a copy and paste job 

From the outside, some members "raised in the truth" seem to suffer from a lack of empathy for others,
    especially those outside the faith. They can seem quite detached and distant mentally speaking and emotionally stunted.
    I wouldn't like to say this absolutely, as I only have limited experience here and it is my own opinion of course. Part of the conditioning not to be tainted by the 
    world I suppose and all that results in as far as development is concerned A definite lack of coping ability. I know a nice couple who are still JWs 
    who are both incapable of supporting themselves. The husband is depressed and lacks control over his life and the wife suffers from "ME" 
    - although I would say its more stress related with both of them myself. They are fine locked within their rituals - meetings, bit of door to door, a book study here and there. Place them outside this sphere and they fall to pieces. 
    The husband has admitted to me that he just doesn't get on with people. 
    He broke down at an interview and that was the sum total of his job search, he now won't take risks in life and learn to harden his shell to events. 
    Even though I write these words I can appreciate how I have been affected in this way, 
    I too have coping problems, amplified in part by my journey through "the truth" 
    Its tragic, but a reality. If the truth really is the truth, 
    then the Holy Spirit is not doing its job with the faithful, that's all I have to say.
  • Marcos
    Marcos

Here's one way to deal with a post that is too wide like the above. I put a link to NotePad on my 'Start' bar. I set NotePad to Word Wrap on the Format menu. Then all you have to do is highlight the text you want copied and copy it to NotePad and it is readable.

Marcos

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

lol @ hippikon.

For me it's PROCRASTINATION.

As a witness from birth, I've been programmed into waiting "til kingdom come" for everything cept the spiritual aspects of life.

I'm discovering that "waiting on Jehovah" has made me a master procrastinator.

I intend to start working on that sometime soon. lol.

Now i feel like i gotta do it all now, or i might not get the chance later.

SPAZ

• happysunshine
    happysunshine

Well said DizzyCat-

-Little empathy.

-Inability to function in employment world.

-depression/self-consumption

There's probably a list of traits specific to fundamentalist Christians and high control group members. Ex-cult members also go through certain issues. I'd like to try and make a list, and if anybody wants to add to it, it could generate discussion.

-Duplicity.

-require strong, central authority.

-unforgiving.

-frustrated.

-crushed.

-paranoid.

Any others?

• Beans
    Beans

I am so fricken HONEST, I feel guilty sometimes when I lie but not always! Depends what or who I am lying too!

When my friends would steal stuff when we were teenagers I always stood back and did not want to be apart of it.

Edited by - Beans on 15 December 2002 18:1:59

• happysunshine
    happysunshine

-exacting honesty

• Iwasyoungonce
    Iwasyoungonce

The sowers of doubt. The actions and personality go hand in hand.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit