THINKING IN PICTURES

by Utopian_Raindrops 3 Replies latest social family

• Utopian_Raindrops
    Utopian_Raindrops

Since coming here I found many here are like me....they have an autistic child

One woman who's work with animals has helped the autistic is Dr. Temple Grandin....who her slef is Autistic. One of the amazing things of the autisitc is that 3D Picture is thier 1st language not the spoken word. Here is Dr.Grandin's article on that subject.

It was after reading an article that she wrote we were able to reach into my son's mind even more and get a connection with him like we never had before.

I am very grateful for this woman, her work, her abilities to share her experiances You can read more about Dr.Grandin at the links below.

http://www.grandin.com/inc/visual.thinking.html

http://www.grandin.com/inc/mind.web.browser.html

Hope you enjoy these....

agape,

Utopian Raindrops

bye bye 4 now

• Brumm
    Brumm

Great URLs Utopian thanks for posting them, I will read more later but what I have read so far is excellent.

I posted a story written by someone with Autism here:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.aspx?id=39247&site=3

Pettygrudger and Shera both have lovely children with autism, dantheman also has a brother with autism, glad you can all encourage eachother here.

Thanks again

Brummie

• Utopian_Raindrops
    Utopian_Raindrops

(((((((hugs)))))) Brummie,

Thank you so much for sharing,"You Want To Take Away My Window" with me!

It is sooooooo beautiful and true.(Of course)

My son (as all special people) is a great person to have as a part of my life!

I love the way he thinks......it can be very cute and is truely pure.

I loved reading Thinking In Pictures because it helped me understand how my son thinks.Since the spoken word is his second language(he is still working on it in therapy) we have found ways to describe to him what is going on.....for instance.

When there is change....and he hates change.....he sometimes has a fit...for wich long ago I stated the"squeezing " to help him through with whispers of love an encouragment in his ears. To get him to understand how this looks when he has a fit I showed him a spoiled bannana. I explaned his fits were "acting spoiled" and this was what a spoiled bannana looked like. He so hated it that he ran to a mirror to see his skin...and kept rubbing it to see if he had black spots,sayin"I no spoild"...poor guy. It took a quite a few times but, soon enough he understood that his fits looked as bad as that bannana and now when ever he has a fit I whisper in his ear,"You look like a spoiled bannana" or just "spoiled bannana" and the imagery is usually enough to get him to stop.

The story you posted reminded me of my son alot. Long ago he had been misdiagnosed as hearing impared because he seemed not to hear the world around him and couldn't even answer the simple question,"What is your name?" It seems often my son is in his own world but some how at the same time when he expresses himself he has not missed a beat!

I am very grateful to his speach therapist who when she started her work with my son didn't even know his true challenges and yet she could find ways to help him see her and react to her. She is truely a beautiful and special woman. I am sure all the special people you work with and thier familys see you Brummie as a beautiful person and a gift from Our God.

Thank-you so mush for sharing with me...for you sweet friend

agape,

Utopian_Raindrops

Edited by - Utopian_Raindrops on 16 December 2002 1:49:34

Edited by - Utopian_Raindrops on 16 December 2002 1:52:53

• Brummie
    Brummie
    it can be very cute and is truely pure.

Even in adulthood they remain just as cute and pure. Some of the things these guys get up to have me wishing I had the camcorder with me all the time. Very unique too, hardly any 2 adults with autism are affected the same, I work with the wide spectrum of adults with autism and learn a lot from each of them. Some have similar traits, like obsession with water, food, stripping off lol, dont like change etc but then each are very different. Its very rewarding to work with these guys despite getting the occasional bruise..lol. I could relate story after story of their actions and how it makes me wish I could be as innocent and inoffensive as they are.

"You Want To Take Away My Window" helps me to keep the right perspective even though its only half the story.

Its challenging behaviour I know so I do hope you also get a lot of support and encouragement in raising your little blessing.

Thumbs up to the speach therapist you mentioned! The people I have key worked tend not to be very verbal, but sometimes that has been by choice. One surprised me after months of not saying a word and leading us to believe he couldnt speak, he came up and said "Good night, see you tomorrow"...It was the plainest of English but I was so shocked that he could actually talk. Gave us something to work on.

I better get off line....Take care

Brummie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit