Shunning (again!)

by link 7 Replies latest jw friends

• link
    link

Elswhere recently started a thread about shunning and I noted that at least ninety per cent of the posters to the thread were from the U.S.of A. and Canada and they had had some bad experiences with the problem.

Why should this be significant ?

Well it seems to me that the shunning problem in America is far worse than here in the U.K. I know of several persons who have been dissed but I am not aware that shunning is a serious issue for them. Can anyone tell me if shunning causes less of a problem here in the U.K. than it does other places in the world, and if so why?

Just curious

link

• roybatty
    roybatty

I don't know specifically about shunning, but it's been my experience that just everything JW is less strict in Europe. For example, watching "R" rated movies here in the states was a definite "no-no". While one wouldn't be df'd, one would loose any privileges in the congregation. While I know European countries have a differnt rating system, seeing these type of movies wasn't a big deal. Years ago when "Braveheart" came out I was speaking with an Irish "brother" and was surprised that he had seen it. He was like "what's the big deal?" I kind of got the same impression about many "rules" that American JW hold strict to, while many European JWs kind of blow off.

• kelsey007
    kelsey007

Americans are the biggest sheep on the planet- though few would admit it people from north america are more easily duped than any other country in general. Look at what our politicians are able to sell the the U.S. sheep- it's the same within the WT. Easier to get the good old americans to go with the program. And we thought we were so smart here. Interesting that education, money and material things do not equate to good old common sense.

• josephus
    josephus

Hi Link

You noticed something i beleive to be true. Ive lived in Canada and th UK and agree that AT PRESENT its tougher in the states, and Canada. however they just did a new kingdom ministry about dffd relatives, and how we should treat them, it is getting more like our neighbours.

as one who shunned his own sister for 10 years, after myfather kicked her out of our home when she was 17 years old i can tell you it has been just as bad in the past, and will be in the future.

hope this gives you a little insight

josephus

• moana
    moana

Isn't the whole attitude more laid back in Europe. It seems to be more open about nudity and mabie that translates into the jw's too. I was so shocked to see naked women on billboards for soap - if it was here the men would probably drive into the signs.

• joannadandy
    joannadandy

Ok this is pretty much, off topic, but kinda still related.

Look at what founded America. The desire to practice a religion (one that was way more strict and "we're way more holy than you people and to prove it we're going to invent a faith that is really restrictive and down right vengeful, so na na na boo boo, we're going to go practice or religion by ourselves) that was puritain. Have you ever seen what some of those rules were? HOLY CRAP! They also practiced "shunning".

I think in America people get really gung ho over religion and it's an ALL OR NOTHING type deal! Could it be because of our strong puritain roots? Who knows. Either you're going to believe it whole souled and testify every sunday(sometimes all day) and wednesday night, or you'll be really apathetic. But you can't be a half-assed christian for very long, they won't let you. You either get born-again, or you give up.

• DazedAndConfused
    DazedAndConfused

I think what also comes into play here is "space." Even while I was a JW and moved from NY to Arizona, it was noticed by many of us that the farther away you got from the headquarters...the more liberal the congregations seemed. And that was just here in the U.S. I can imagine that the same could be said about other countries also.

• roybatty
    roybatty
    Americans are the biggest sheep on the planet- though few would admit it people from north america are more easily duped than any other country in general

I agree. I don't think we're stupid, just too trusting. We trust politicians and get screwed, we trust other countries and get screwed...etc.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit