JW's and Charity Work

by Scarlet 5 Replies latest jw friends

• Scarlet
    Scarlet

Last night my husband and I went shopping to give some toys to the local toy drive. I have donated either toys, food, or blankets during the holiday season since I left being a Dub. I have always had the desire to give to charties and people in need since I was young. I remember asking my mother around christmas time (when i was little) if we could give to the food or toy drive since those children need things and I remember her saying that Christmas was pagan and we are not to encourge that. Our charity work is the ministry. I accepted that then. But what I find interesting is that my family never gave any other time of year either and they didn't give to the poor people in the hall either. I was wondering if your family was the same way? If they felt their ministry was a good enough way to give?

Another thing I wonder is how many poor witnesses take from the charities during this time of year and yet will tell people how pagan the holiday is?

Edited by - Scarlet on 12 December 2002 19:43:35

• vanilia
    vanilia

talk about bah humbug. im amazed so many people stay in for so long its so depressing.

• eyeslice
    eyeslice

Lack of practical charity worries me too.

I have for a while given to so-called Christian Charities, especially one dedicated to helping blindness in 3rd world countries. I know I have had some strange looks when brothers have been to my house and seen some of their literature lying around.

But my view is that it being blind can be no fun for anyone, so it must be hell if you are blind and in poverty and without hope.

I know that Jesus wouldnt be aggrieved at such charity, strange that so-called Christians have their consciences offended if they think that someone is giving to Babylon the Great.

• bittersweet
    bittersweet

Even when I was a witness,I would give to certain charities,such as our local food pantry and such(also an easy one that the kids could get involved in).I could never understand why it was frowned upon to give to those in need.My mom would say they need spiritual food,and that's what we can provide for them,but spiritual food doesn't fill your belly or keep you warm.Yet some of those same witnesses(who were against giving to charity) would apply for fuel assistence,housing,etc.Very hypocitical.

Now that I am away from all that,I take pleasure in helping those who need it.Every month at my job,we elect a new charity to raise money for(through dress-down days,50/50 raffles,etc),and yes,since it is the holiday season,we are raising money for toys for tots(oh no! presents for a pagan holiday!).I think it's great.We can't help everyone,but even a little goes a long way.

(just an after thought.......maybe we could raise money to get gifts for all those little witness children who are left out at holiday time....we'd just have to find a way to sneak them by their parents!)

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

I have met JW's who felt that the Society was their charity, however there were others (mainly those converted into JW's) who gave to charities such as Goodwill and others. I know most wouldn't give to the Salvation Army because it was a church. I give to all who need it, mainly Goodwill, since they keep our highways clean in this area.

The ones who felt that the Borg was their charity drove me bonkers. Everything they did had to be "Watchtower approved and sanctioned." Those people are the ones I'd like to hang from the highest tree...

• nativenyr23
    nativenyr23

JW's and Charity Work? These two words have never, to my knowledge, been put in the same sentence.

Classic example? Watchtower's reaction to people running from Manhattan across the bridge on 9/11. 'nuf said.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit