Is God being mocked? Gal 6:7

by Iwasyoungonce 8 Replies latest jw friends

• Iwasyoungonce
    Iwasyoungonce

" Educators in democratic societies teach people how to think, but propagandists tell them what to think. Most educators are willing to change their opinions on the basis of new evidence, but propagandists ignore evidence that contradicts them. Educators present all sides of an issue and encourage debate. Propagandists build the strongest possible case for their views and discourage discussion."

World book Encyclopedia CD Rom

I was wondering about something. As I understand it as a Jehovah Witness one was to "WOJ" as opposed to seeking justice. I also understand that to mean leave it to the Elders and Headquarters. Now that you are free or at least out of the circle as defined by the WT how do you feel about things like freedom and justice? Is justice something that you would seek to right a wrong? The Elders were the arbitrators of all things before. Whom do you turn to now? Does it bother you to make your own decisions? Do you still have the aversion to politics and talking about world issues without the intent of indoctrination? Would you try to dodge a draft? Does it bother you to either stand alone or with could you support a Nation? (Sorry I have about 100 more questions but I will stop there) I have carried this with me since as long as I can remember. For me it represents my love of freedom, individuality, the right to seek justice, and responsibility to myself and others to be the best that I can be.

MY CREED

I DO NOT CHOSE TO BE A COMMON MAN. iT IS MY RIGHT TO BE UNCOMMON -- IF I CAN.

I SEEK OPPORTUNITY-- NOT SECURITY. I DO NOT WISH TO BE A KEPT CITIZEN, HUMBLED AND DULLED BY HAVING THE STATE LOOK AFTER ME.

I WANT TO TAKE THE CALCULATED RISK--TO DREAM AND BUILD-- TO FAIL AND SUCCEED.

I REFUSE TO BARDER INCENTIVE FOR A DOLE. I PREFER THE CHALLENGES OF LIFE TO THE GUARANTEED EXISTENCE-- THE THRILL OF FULFILLMENT TO THE CALM STATE OF UTOPIA.

"I WILL NOT TRADE FREEDOM FOR BENEFICE-- NOR MY DIGNITY FOR A HANDOUT. I WILL NEVER COWER BEFORE ANY MASTER--NOR BEND TO ANY THREAT.

IT IS MY HERITAGE TO STAND ERECT, PROUD AND UNAFRAID--TO THINK AND ACT FOR MYSELF--ENJOY THE BENEFITS OF MY CREATIONS AND TO FACE THE WORLD BOLDLY, AND SAY--

"THIS I HAVE DONE."

I have been told that my admiring this creed is due to my pride, maybe it is. I however think that God would expect nothing less, and one cannot go against the will of God.

• Scully
    Scully

God is being mocked all the time. The way I see it, though, is that God - being "God" and all - shouldn't be bothered by stuff like that.

I mean, c'mon.... so I get a little cheesed off at God.... he should be able to handle that, right?? After all, what can I do to him?? But if he gets cheesed off at me...... I have to watch it or he'll smite me with a plague or something.

Things like that are precisely the reason why I have a hard time believing in God anymore. He made me the way I am, he made me the person I've become, yet I have to walk on eggshells in order to please him??? I'm not allowed to make mistakes?? Hell, I'm IMPERFECT, I'm HUMAN.... I'm MADE TO MAKE MISTAKES.... and learn from them. As a JW, nothing less than perfection was acceptable - I almost drove myself to the brink of insanity trying to be the perfect wife, the perfect mother, the perfect meeting attender, the perfect service partner, the perfect talk #3 giver.... etc etc ad nauseum. As an agnostic (bordering on atheism) I can do as much or as little as I want or need to do of anything. I can develop my own values, my own self esteem, my own worth, without having to worry about whether Brother Brownnose or Sister Kissmyass is going to be stumbled.

I think the creed you've shared is worthwhile. Don't let anyone tell you what you can or cannot believe for yourself. There's nothing wrong with those words. The problem JWs have with them is that they are about being the best you can be for you....... they interpret that as selfishness, which is poorly regarded by JWs in general. They don't want you to achieve your potential or have good self-esteem from your own accomplishments, because they want you to derive self-esteem as they dole it out to you - very sparingly, I might add - based on your performance as a JW.

Thanks for sharing those words with us.

Love, Scully

• archangel01
    archangel01

hello

what you said makes sense.JW expect everyone to act a certain way like happy go lucky.Well I'm sorry who can be happy in a shitty system like this.I think once you know the bible and what God thinks on things, you don't need humans telling u otherwise.JW's think they are ALWAY right, do they ever think they may be wrong on some things.

• heathen
    heathen

TO THINK AND ACT FOR MYSELF- Ok now we know you aren't a jw

• Iwasyoungonce
    Iwasyoungonce

heathen,

In my Bio that is the first thing I say. Is there a point?

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Interesting question. And yes I do believe in Karma (Gal. 6:7). I've seen it.

An elder once told me that justice is just another name for vengence. I've never agreed with that. When I was a child growing up I stood up in front of the class and gave a presentation every December about the origins of Christmas. When the other Witness kids went to pep rallies, I stayed in the library because the rally involved pledge of allegiance and prayer and I felt that violated my neutrality. On the flip side, I stood up to every elder in my congregation and my father's congregation regarding the 2 witness rule for pedophiles. When the CO came to my house, I didn't back down and I argued with him until he was red-faced. When he told me to shut up or he would see to it I was DF'd, I used every one of George Carlin's 7 dirty words, including the big F-bomb.

In my life I've stood up for what I believe irregardless of what others think of me or what they do to me. The biblical character I've always identified with is the apostle Paul, for no other reason than the fact that he held to his belief system stubbornly. It literally took an act of God to get him to change his mind, but once he did he clung to his new belief system just as stubbornly.

The same thing that makes you laugh, makes you cry - Nate Newton

Edited by - Big Tex on 11 December 2002 0:55:3

• Jesus Christ
    Jesus Christ

Its ok, ol' Spanky doesn't mind if you make jokes about him as long as you don't mention his spoon collection.

• Scully
    Scully

JC writes:

Its ok, ol' Spanky doesn't mind if you make jokes about him as long as you don't mention his spoon collection.

You should SEE what he did to the neighbour for talking about His porcelain thimble collection......

Love, Scully

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Freedom means not having to wear a tie.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit