Elderly Parents

by Big Tex 8 Replies latest jw friends

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Just so you know where I am coming from, a little background: my wife's father, Bill, is 78. He has been a Witness for almost 50 years, was an elder, is of the anointed and used to know a few people from way back when (including a couple from the GB). Bill, very independent, lives in a retirement home about 10 minutes from us. Her mother, Katherine, is in the last stages of Alzheimer's and is currently in a nuring home. As the disease progressed during the 90's, she become angrier and verbally abusive. Bill took care of her by himself for nearly 10 years before finally committing her to a nursing home 2 years ago. It was afterwards that something strange happened. Bill changed. He went from being a mild-mannered and wise elder (the epitome of a kindly "older man") to a drunken, loud and obnoxious sailor who wants to bed anything in a skirt (he served during WWII in the Pacific). He had an affair with a woman in his retirement home for a few months before he finally confessed to the elders. Naturally he was DF'd, even though he ended the affair. Personally I don't care about it; actually I was pleased that he seemed to be finding a little happiness after years of misery (we even had her over to our house for lunch). But as the term of disfellowshipping went on, Bill began to drink more and more. He lied to several doctors about chest pains and anxiety to get Xanax and Vicodin and other drugs. It was not unusual for him to take 3 Xanax followed by several glasses of wine. Over the holidays last year we insisted he stay at our house because he seemed so depressed. At times he was so drunk he could barely stand, and often had to put his hand on a wall or some furniture to keep from falling.

In March of this year, he was reinstated. We hoped this would stop the drinking. If anything, he began to drink more. We tried talking to him about it, but he would only get defensive or angry. We had no idea how many prescription drugs he was taking daily. As Bill began spiraling more and more out of control, we could see what was coming and yet I felt helpless. How do you help someone who doesn't want help? Finally in September we got the call. Bill had been taken to the hospital because he had overdosed on his drugs. When we go to the emergency room, the doctor told us that Bill had taken 18 Xanax. They found an empty jug of wine nearby. He had left a note taped to an old picture of him while he was in the Navy. The note simply said, "I love you."

Fortunately you can't kill yourself with Xanax, no matter how many you take. He was transferred to a psychiatric hospital. After 3 days of unconcsiousness, Bill complained of "chest pains" and was immediately taken to the emergency room again, where they pumped him full of morphine (which was what he wanted). I sat most of the day with him and was there when he finally woke up. He told me the reason he did it was because he had, had another affair and couldn't stand the thought of getting DF'd again. I told him I wouldn't tell anyone and especially no damn hypocritical elder. We went though his apartment and filled a garbage bag with all the prescription medication he had. We made a list and showed it to the psychiatrist whose next reaction was to prescribe another drug, an anti-depressant. After Bill was released from the psych hospital he saw the psychiatrist for about 6 weeks before he cancelled and went off the anti-depressants. He said it was because he didn't like the side effects, but I think it was because he wanted to start drinking again. And he has, with a vengence. He stayed with us over Thanksgiving and things got tense a few times because I put my foot down and limited him to one glass. Bill was not very happy about that. It was over Thanksgiving that we found out he's taking Xanax again (either once a day or 3 times a day; he keeps changing the story).

Now here's my problem. He is reaching a point where he won't be able to take care of himself much longer. His latest girlfriend lives just below on the first floor and has told us that she hears him falling. Sunday he showed up to watch the Dallas Cowboys game at our house and he had a large gash on his chin and his forehead that he explained away as him cutting himself shaving.

I am pulled in two directions. On one hand, I want to take care of him in his old age. I can only imagine how difficult it is to be older and facing the prospect of losing independence. It would be frightening. If we turned our back on him, he would have no one. That would be important to me if I was 78. Even though he's still going to meetings, no one will have anything to do with him. The Witnesses view him as damaged goods. No one invites him anywhere. Even though he is reinstated, it's as if he is still DF'd, although unofficially. On the other hand, how can I bring him into my house? We've got 2 children (ages 6 and 9). We've had to explain what getting "drunk" is to them. They've seen their grandfather pass out numerous times. Once he fell down our stairs and broke his collarbone because he was so drunk. If he comes to live with us, I can't allow him to drink. Yet more than once, he has gone behind my back and gotten a drink(s). He knows we don't like him drinking and yet he'll sneak around to get some wine.

The other thing that concerns me is his mental state. He attempted suicide once. If he comes to live with us, will he attempt it again? I don't want my children to go wake up grandpa one morning and find a dead body. Or worse, I don't want him to try a murder/suice. Am I overdramatizing? Is this just me letting my fears run amok? Am I making this whole thing too hard? Should we let him come live with us? Has anyone else had experience with elderly parents? Any feedback would be helpful.

Thanks,

Chris

• Iwasyoungonce
    Iwasyoungonce

Tex,

Sometimes you cannot help those that do not want your help. Lot could not save his wife and Noah could only save his family. Is he seeing a Psychiatrist? It sounds like he needs one. He is on a path of self destruction. I would never subject my children to seeing someone like that in my house. Loving someone does not mean letting them abuse or being a doormat. He needs therapy and maybe he needs to be somewhere that they can monitor them closely. It is your choice what to do but I can recommend that you and your family get professional help too. You have been through so much and it can only help to give you valuable tools to get through all of this as well as your children. (If you do then good)

• JH
    JH

What gets me angry is that he was a witness for nearly 50 years, and served as an elder, and now they treat him like shit. All they can do is go to meetings and knock on doors and give advice to others, while themselves don't give a damn about their own people. Why can't they take care of the elderly in the congregation, and encourage him.

• blondie
    blondie

Chris, have you ever thought of contacting Al-Anon? This is a support group for family members/friends/significant others of active alcoholics. These people as a group have been through it all and can have some practical suggestions. They sure were there for me.

Personally, I would not have my father around my young children while he is still actively using. Yes, he could attempt suicide again. I would try and see what alternative arrangements can be made for him to live elsewhere close by and check up on him. He needs to keep seeing a counselor and figure out what medications work for his situation. I understand the effects of anti-depressants. There are other groups of drugs that can be tried.

After 10 years of his being with your mother-in-law daily, considering her abusive, failing condition has been a phyical and emotional drain for him. I am not surprised by his actions after she was put in the nursing home.

What happens to a rubberband that has been stretched to its limit and then is suddenly released? It richochets all over until it dissipates that energy and then just lies there on the floor. People can be the same way. He has been under pressure for a long time and it was suddenly released.

Man, Chris, I wish I could help more. I went through this with my parents some years ago. My father is no longer my responsibility and my mother is doing better.

Here is a website for the Texas Al-Anon groups.

http://www.texas-al-anon.org/

Blondie(who remembers the days)

(Big Tex means Texas I hope)

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

Good grief what a terrible situation to find ones self in.

The diametric need to help the aged and the other need to protect ones self and children.

What a mess. This has to be very trying and taxing on all of you including the children.

Looking out for and providing for ones self is not a bad or unchristian thing. Looking out for and providing for your children is an obligation.

I do not see any way out of this perdicament other than placing him in a assisted living or nursing home. Then the question comes up. Will they tolerate this behaviour or will they insist he leaves?

If they won't have him then I see only one other way. That is to have him comitted to a state hospital psychiatric ward.

What to do if they won't keep him? I don't have an answer.

Maybe others on this forum can expand on this.

Outoftheorg---I feel so sorry for you and him also.

• Scully
    Scully

Big Tex:

You have mail.

Love, Scully

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

This is Tex. I've hit my posting limit (I wish we could go back to the old limits), so I'm using my wife's account.

Iwasyoungonce

Bill was seeing a psychiatrist, but he has stopped seeing him. As far as I know, he is no longer taking anti-depressants. I was in therapy for 6 years for my childhood. My wife is currently seeing a psychologist. Obviously this is one of the issues she's talking about. Thanks.

jh

Me too. In fact he just had his first shepherding call in this congregation on Tuesday. The elders came over to chew him out because (get ready for this) he actually hugged a sister at the circuit assembly. They told him that since he had committed adultery he was not to touch, go out in service or even talk to a sister. Loving isn't it?

blondie

I have not thought of Al-Anon. That sounds like a great idea. I will contact them. You're right, surely they've seen it all, so they might have some insight on this situation. I agree that he's bouncing around but it's been two years and if anything he's only getting worse. He's got some frequent flier miles and he's using that to fly to Hawaii for Christmas so maybe a change of scenery will help him clear his head. (Big Tex is the 50 foot statute at the State Fair of Texas; some friends overseas used to call me that so I used it here. I'm glad my name isn't Richard.)

outoftheorg

Thanks. I want to do the right thing, but at the same time I've got to protect my children. And so I feel pulled in two directions. Thanks.

Scully

That is my business email address and I'll check it when I get to work (I work at night). Thanks.

I appreciate all the input. It kinda helps my sanity. Thanks everyone.

• Mulan
    Mulan

How about an alcohol rehab center?

It sounds to me like there might some dementia going on too. I care for my elderly parents in my home, and both of them seldom drink more than a glass of wine occasionally, so I can't really relate to what you are describing. Dad has an early form of dementia, but we can't get a diagnosis because his insurance won't approve a neurologist visit. So we just guess.

I agree that Al-Anon is a great resource for you. Try it.

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

Thanks for all of the advice! I think I'm in denial about Dad - we talked about it one night and Big Tex said my face got really hard and bitter looking, right before I started crying. I have been seeing a therapist since the summer when I left the Borg because that plus the situation with my parents was too much to deal with even with Big Tex's help.

To add to what BT said: in addition to Dad falling, I'm seeing scrapes and dents on his car that he can't or won't explain. The lawyer we've retained to help with Mom's Medicaid application told us that Dad will be in a nursing home within three years at the rate he's going.

I'm disappointed because I really wanted him to come and live with us. We bought this house with that event in mind. But I agree with Big Tex's assessment of the potential danger to our children, and I just don't think having him in the house full-time is a good idea.

Damn, I hate being grown-up.

Nina

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit