JW lingo...ad nauseum

by KistByQpid 4 Replies latest jw friends

• KistByQpid
    KistByQpid

Ok...I have to admit this board has been unbelievably helpful in helping me figure out my JW mom! I've especially got a kick out of reading the many posts about their "language." Well, today I'm TRYING to have a "normal" conversation with my mom...I've decided their IS NO such thing as "normal" when talking to a zealous JW. She asked me if my husband was still working rotating shifts (safe enough topic right???) I said nope...he's on graveyard. When all of a sudden she goes off on how (get this) Shift work is a "symptom" of "this system of things." What the ???? I said, "What system?" She just kept on yapping and I didn't know whether to laugh or feel sorry for her absurd "reality."

• Debz
    Debz

I can relate to that ....and some topics are just not even thought of let alone mentioned. I find it hard to discuss anything - even tho she is not supposed to discuss `spiritual` matters with me, she does the most amazing amount of complaining out of anyone that I know.....Be like me.....swear that often turns her quite for a ehile..Debz

• Brummie
    Brummie

Sounds about normal from someone who is a symptom" of "thier system of things."

Brummie

• Gopher
    Gopher

Of course by "SYSTEM", JW's mean the organized world outside their organization, i.e., the world as a whole either influenced by, corrupted by, or operated by Satan (depending on how bad they're supposed to be).

However -- even in their own weekly "Theocratic Ministry School", they're taught to use terms that the non-JW understands. Their guidebook says that if you throw terms in like "Armageddon" and "The 144,000", terms which are instantly recognizable to anyone who's studied even a short while with the dubs, that non-JW's will not follow you.

So by throwing in terms like "system of things", your JW mom isn't even following the instructions of her own organization!! LOL.

• OrbitingTheSun
    OrbitingTheSun

One of my close JW friends in high school had a habit of using JW lingo with his worldly friends (not that he had many...just classmates and colleagues at work). Initially it was amusing to hear him twist JW-isms into his conversations, but after a while it became really annoying. He even started writing bad poetry full of those silly phrases us "enlightened ones" now love to hate. I thought that once our worldly friends heard his ridiculous rhymes they would tell him to focus his energies elsewhere and stop punishing the paper he writes on with mismatched words and ungodly grammar, but I wasn't so lucky. They all pretended he was magnificent so that he would continue to humor them...little did they know that I had to hear this mumbo jumbo from him AND from elders three nights a week.

The last I heard from him he was still talking like a Watchtower-On-Tape and writing poetry that would drive any literary person insane. But guess what friends, one of the perks of being inactive is having that lovely "bad association" label slapped on your back like a "Kick Me!" sign. So...I am no longer able to revel in his poetic slendor. Poor me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit