Shepherding call after 7yrs

by Kep 8 Replies latest jw friends

• Kep
    Kep

I have been df since early 1995 and have never had the so called follow up visit by any elders.

Saturday night I had a visitor. It was a JW friend I have known for a very long time. He was my best man and vice versa many years ago. He relocated with his family and I was never able to tell him I was going be df. I had seen him and spoke to him 3 years ago when he visted my JW mom the same time that I was there.

Since that time he has become an elder and felt spiritually qualified to call on me and encourage me by saying that it is not too late to come back.

Has anyone had any similar experience or visit since their departure ??

Unfortunately for my friend I have long since seen the light and have learnt so much from here and thru other publications. I was well armed to discuss and verbally tear apart any line of reason he had to encourage me to return. All his reasons and thoughts were all the preprogrammed JW propaganda machine at work, it was sad to know exactly what he was going to say and then refute it.

In the end he agreed that if he had been thru the same scenario as I had, he too would never go back.

It was good to see my dear brother again, to know how he has been doing since my departure. I hope that what we discussed will bother him, that he will look further into the issues. None of what he said will ever change me, and I told him that, so maybe one day he will open his eyes and see the truth.

Kep

• freedom96
    freedom96

It sounds like the two of you really cared for each other. Is there any way to continue a friendship under the current circumstances?

Perhaps you gave him some really good points to ponder. Planting seeds is a great start.

To my knowledge, no one once has even attempted to follow up on me. Though I have moved several times, it has been locally, and it would not be too hard to find out where I am.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Experiences such as this give us all fresh hope. Seven years was a long time, wasn't it? Thanks for sharing, Kep.

Cheers, Ozzie

• onthego
    onthego

They got instructions last month to do visits on those inactive as much as 30 years back. It was discussed in another string too.

• avishai
    avishai
    In the end he agreed that if he had been thru the same scenario as I had, he too would never go back

Ive heard this too. Mind if I use this phrase to start a new thread?

• ugg
    ugg

that had to have been so hard for you....thank you for sharing....(((( hugs )))

• Kep
    Kep

Thanks for your thoughts.

Yeah, we were like an old married couple and bore the brunt of many jokes coz we were always together. I stayed loyal to him as a friend during a time he was viewed as a bad association. I had elders counsel me that I need to be wary of who I associate with etc.. But we were the best of friends and still are in a way. It was a very moving time to see him and we hugged and talked and it felt like the old days... I hope I have planted a seed. I told him I appreciated his visit and that he knows where I am if ever he wants to visit.

Ozzie, 7 years is indeed a long time, and the local elders know where I am. How odd that it takes an elder from another town to make the effort to visit. He told me that everythinghas changed now, that it is all about showing mercy etc.. and that there is only one place where you can see the true quality of love. I nearly choked on my tongue as I replied to him and said why is it then that he is the one calling and not the so called shepherds... where is the love in that ?? I said to be honest, there is no way I would want to live forever in a paradise with these people. He understood and nodded in agreement.

That's interesting that they have been given instruction to follow up inactive ones, who knows, I might be able to really let my hair down with my next lot of visitors.

Avishai, use it, I would be interested to know how many others have had a similar response.

Kep

• Beck_Melbourne
    Beck_Melbourne

Greetings brother...great to hear you finally got a shepherding LOL...better late then never eh? Though I understand you gave him some food for thought...you just never know what seeds of doubt you may have sown.

Thanks for sharing your experience with us...and I'm happy that this brother found it in his heart to call and make contact with you after all these years. There is hope for me too then...as I have some dear friends that I would love to hear from again. It sure is nice to hear a JW do something positive regarding ex-dubs.

Thanks again Kep.

~Beck~

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

Well it's been 12 yrs. now and no loving visits from the elders. So much for the kind and loving sheperds of jehovah's flock.

If I were to get a visit I am not sure I would waste my time showing them any of the wbts failings .

I suppose it would depend on who it was. I can only think of 3 out of the twenty some elders in this area I would even consider talking to.

Unlike you Kep I never had any close friends in the jw's after I left the city I grew up in.

It was nice reading how you two hooked up again and enjoyed the visit. Best of luck to ya.

Outoftheorg

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit