Screwing Up Folks' Lives (con'd)

by AMNESIAN 4 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• AMNESIAN
    AMNESIAN

The following is the excerpt regarding the change in the Society's dictate regarding civilian service that I referenced (but was unable to locate in either the bound volumes or on the WT CD-ROM) in the thread "Screwing Up Folks' Lives" ---( http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.aspx?id=41706&site=3&page=1 -- good thread, don't miss it!). An alert, lurking friend was resourceful and thoughtful enough to locate and send it to me.

Below it is the excerpt within the article's context. I think it probative in any discussion of arbitrary WT policies detrimentally affecting its trusting adherents and the treachery and arrogance of their featherweight defense of yet another flip-flop.

*** w98 8/15 15-20 Strengthening Our Confidence in God's Righteousness ***

Feelings of Having Suffered Needlessly

6 In the past, some Witnesses have suffered for refusing to share in an activity that their conscience now might permit(!!!). For example, this might have been their choice years ago as to certain types of civilian service. A brother might now feel that he could conscientiously perform such without overstepping his Christian neutrality regarding the present system of things.

7 Was it unrighteous on Jehovahs part to allow him to suffer for rejecting what he now might do without consequences? Most who have had that experience would not think so. Rather, they rejoice that they had the opportunity of demonstrating publicly and clearly that they were determined to be firm on the issue of universal sovereignty. (Compare Job 27:5.) What reason could anyone have to regret having followed his conscience (!!!) in taking a firm stand for Jehovah? By loyally upholding Christian principles as they understood them or by responding to the proddings of conscience (!!!), they proved worthy of Jehovahs friendship. Certainly, it is wise to avoid a course that would disturb ones conscience (!!!) or that would likely cause others to be stumbled. We can think in this regard of the example that the apostle Paul set.1 Corinthians 8:12, 13; 10:31-33.

(!!!)s obviously represent my own editorial two cents.

The level of dishonesty and disception in these assertions is nothing short of breathtaking. The contempt and reckless disregard manifested for those whose lives were altered irreparably or destroyed altogether by a policy based on nothing more substantial than the whims of Nazis should be [criminally] actionable.

---------

Strengthening Our Confidence in Gods Righteousness

For your confidence to come to be in Jehovah himself I have given you knowledge.PROVERBS 22:19.

TRUE Christians are blessed with an accurate knowledge of Jehovah and of his purposes. A faithful and discreet slave lovingly supplies them with spiritual food at the proper time. (Matthew 24:45) The knowledge they gain provides them with a solid foundation on which to base confidence in God. Thus, as a group, Jehovahs Witnesses display remarkable confidence in Jehovah and in his righteousness.

2 It appears, however, that as individuals some Witnesses may need to strengthen such confidence. The Society occasionally receives letters that express uncertainty about explanations given in its publications. These doubts may be a reaction to adjustments in understanding, or they may deal with matters that touch the inquirer, especially in an emotional way.Compare John 6:60, 61.

3 Even true servants of Jehovah experience the truthfulness of Ecclesiastes 9:11: I returned to see under the sun that the swift do not have the race, nor the mighty ones the battle, nor do the wise also have the food, nor do the understanding ones also have the riches, nor do even those having knowledge have the favor; because time and unforeseen occurrence befall them all. How might this prove true in an extended, or spiritual, sense? We may have known Christians who were swift about applying Bible counsel, mighty in defending the truth, wise in applying Bible principles, and zealous in the pursuit of accurate knowledge. Yet, because of time and unforeseen occurrence, some may now see themselves limited as a result of an accident or advanced age. They may wonder whether they will enter into Gods new world without ever having to suffer death.

4 When a Christian loses his marriage mate, the pain and sense of loss is severe. Together as a couple, they may have served Jehovah for years or even decades. The surviving mate knows that death severs the marriage bond. (1 Corinthians 7:39) Now, lest his confidence be undermined, he must keep his emotions under control.Compare Mark 16:8.

5 How wise it is to view the death of a mate, parent, child, or close Christian friend as an opportunity to show confidence in Jehovahs righteousness! Even in the face of personal loss, we can be confident that Jehovah is not unrighteous. We can have confidence that everyone who gains everlasting lifewhether through survival or by resurrectionwill be happy. Of God, the psalmist says: You are opening your hand and satisfying the desire of every living thing. Jehovah is righteous in all his ways and loyal in all his works. Jehovah is near to all those calling upon him, to all those who call upon him in trueness. The desire of those fearing him he will perform, and their cry for help he will hear, and he will save them.Psalm 145:16-19.

Feelings of Having Suffered Needlessly

6 In the past, some Witnesses have suffered for refusing to share in an activity that their conscience now might permit. For example, this might have been their choice years ago as to certain types of civilian service. A brother might now feel that he could conscientiously perform such without overstepping his Christian neutrality regarding the present system of things.

7 Was it unrighteous on Jehovahs part to allow him to suffer for rejecting what he now might do without consequences? Most who have had that experience would not think so. Rather, they rejoice that they had the opportunity of demonstrating publicly and clearly that they were determined to be firm on the issue of universal sovereignty. (Compare Job 27:5.) What reason could anyone have to regret having followed his conscience in taking a firm stand for Jehovah? By loyally upholding Christian principles as they understood them or by responding to the proddings of conscience, they proved worthy of Jehovahs friendship. Certainly, it is wise to avoid a course that would disturb ones conscience or that would likely cause others to be stumbled. We can think in this regard of the example that the apostle Paul set.1 Corinthians 8:12, 13; 10:31-33.

8 In order to please Jehovah, the Jews were required to obey the Ten Commandments and also a wide variety of about 600 additional laws. Later, under the Christian arrangement, obedience to these laws as such was no longer a requirement for serving Jehovah, not even for fleshly Jews. The laws no longer binding included those dealing with circumcision, keeping the Sabbath, offering animal sacrifices, and observing certain dietary restrictions. (1 Corinthians 7:19; 10:25; Colossians 2:16, 17; Hebrews 10:1, 11-14) Jewsincluding the apostleswho became Christians were released from the obligation to keep laws that they were required to obey when they were under the Law covenant. Did they complain that Gods arrangement was unrighteous in having formerly required of them things that were no longer necessary? No, they rejoiced in the broadened understanding of Jehovahs purposes.Acts 16:4, 5.

9 In modern times, there have been some Witnesses who were very strict in their view of what they would or would not do. For that reason they suffered more than others. Later, increased knowledge helped them to expand their view of matters. But they have no reason to regret having earlier acted in harmony with their conscience, even when this possibly brought extra suffering. It truly is commendable that they demonstrated their willingness to suffer in faithfulness to Jehovah, to do all things for the sake of the good news. Jehovah blesses that kind of godly devotion. (1 Corinthians 9:23; Hebrews 6:10) The apostle Peter wrote with insight: If, when you are doing good and you suffer, you endure it, this is a thing agreeable with God.1 Peter 2:20.

----

AMNESIAN

• rebel
    rebel

I can't quite get my head around paragraph 5. It seems to be saying we should be glad to lose someone we love because we are being given the chance to show how righteous Jehovah is. I can't see the connection. Are they saying that Jehovah delights in seeing a child taken away from its parents? Does Jehovah revel in the fact that some children lose a mother or father because it gives them a chance to show how faithful they are? The mind boggles!

And when talking about those who have suffered for 'refusing to share in an activity that their conscience now permits', the article asks "Was it unrighteous on Jehovah's part to allow him to suffer for rejecting what he now might do without consequence?" The truth is, a person may have suffered much hardship because the JW teachings at the time said so-and-so was wrong. Now the WTBTS changes its mind, they make out that Jehovah has directed things this way and therefore Jehovah is responsible for any suffering. So whatever you do, you just can't win. If I was disfellowshipped for something years ago that is now considered ok, would I be able to be reinstated when the WT changes its mind? Could I claim damages because they were wrong and I was right?

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

These statements make me so angry every time I read them. They are just so low and dishonest. I wonder what it must have been like in certain countries where these particular policies caused such harm to people and then to read such patronizing garbage.

But these statements give a good insight into how the leaders view their "mistakes" and the hardship they caused. They are not men of honor and integrity that accept responsibility for what they do, but are cowards and liars.

Path

• gumby
    gumby

For example, this might have been their choice years ago as to certain types of civilian service. A brother might now feel that he could conscientiously perform such without overstepping his Christian neutrality regarding the present system of things.

7 Was it unrighteous on Jehovahs part to allow him to suffer for rejecting what he now might do without consequences? Most who have had that experience would not think so. Rather, they rejoice

Did you notice who is to blame?

Jehovah....and the victim! Not the society! It was the publishers OWN choice each time......with NO MENTION they were FORCED to believe this way, lest they fight against Jehovah himself and risk eternal destruction!

Also the article mentions of the" REJOICING" that went on among the victims. Really? How did the society KNOW all these victims rejoiced? Did all these brothers who were locked up for 5 or 10 years and their wife's were out working to support the 5 kids at home.....call up the service desk when they got out of prison and say.." boy brothers, you have no idea what an honor it was to be in prison even though I was molested by some prisoners while I was in there and my wife ran off with another guy.....and to know in spite of all this I put a smile on Jehovah's face".

• blondie
    blondie

I don't know about other countries, but in the US, the brothers sentenced to serve 2 years in prison did not just get out unscathed and go back to their lives.

Besides the dangers from "real" criminals in the prisons, including rape and physical brutality, they came out with a permanent blot on their life. They were frozen out of many types of jobs because they are a convicted felon; they may not own a home (it is put in the wife's name). Those who have fallen on bad times financially have not been helped by the congregation.

The only way to get this blot removed is to petition the President of the United States for a pardon which incurs additional legal expense with no guarantee of success.

They could not choose alternative service but could be sentenced to alternative service which depended on the Selective Service Board's discretion.

They could not choose to be conscientious objectors because they would be required to take noncombatant service that supported the war effort (bad per the WTS though they could affiliate with the UN). The Selective Service Board had to approve their request for Minister status. Well, the WTS may think we are all ministers, but the SSB doesn't see 8 hours a month as much of a ministry.

Thank goodness, the draft has been suspended although young men 18 and over (till 25 I think) must register and keep their addresses current.

I have met many brothers that are bitter over their sacrifice that is not acknowledged today or in the past.

Blondie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit