Meaningless Handshakes

by JH 5 Replies latest jw friends

• JH
    JH

The first time I set foot in a K.H., I was surprised by the numerous handshakes being given here and there. It looked unreal. So many smiles and they seemed so sinceer. Then, sisters were not aloud to give brothers a hand shake. But in the other congregation in the same city, the sister were aloud to give brothers a hand shake. That was so stupid to see that one could and the other congregation could not. Anyways, what I am getting to is, do you think that all these handshakes were just to look good, or do you think that there was true friendship there? I think it was only conditional friendship, not more.

Edited by - jh on 5 December 2002 16:17:27

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Every congregation has it's own set of stupid rules.

• Some congregations do not let sister shake hands
    • Some don't let sisters wear pants - ever
    • Some don't let sister wear a dress shorter than her mid-shin
    • Some don't let a sister wear a dress shorter than her knees
    • Some don't let the teens have parties
    • Some don't let the teens dance
    • Some require the teens to stay at least a foot apart while dancing (yes, the elders walk around with little rulers)
    • Some "discourage" people from having two door cars
    • Some don't allow brothers to wear dress shirts that are not white
    • Some don't allow brothers to wear a suit that was too "loud" (only drab cheap polyester suits were considered "appropriate" and not "showy").
    • Some don't allow people to pass out invitations/thank you cards at the hall
    • Some don't allow people to exchange items at the hall

The list just goes on and on....

• Skeptic
    Skeptic

I still chuckle at some of the rules. One congregation would never assign a brother and sister to work alone in Field Service. It could lead to immorality, you see...

Then I was in a very strict congregation, one that was very by the book. The Presiding Overseer kept assigning this one sister and me to work alone in field service. We would go out in field service for six hours at a time! Rural territory usually, alone in her van....

The funny part was that this sister was in love with me (no doubt the reason was that I was the exact opposite of her husband in many ways). She wanted to marry me, and short of that wanted to bed me. I know this because she told me, folks. She told my wife too, indirectly. After being denied sex for 17 years, she was hard to resist! Sigh, now I wish I had given in....

Her husband was my best friend, and he wanted me to be a partner on his farm. One big reason I refused is because I would be working with her all day, and didn't want the temptation. (The other reason is I am lousy at farming.) I thought, "You don't know that your wife has been trying to get me into bed for at least the last two years?"

Another funny thing: My wife was the extremely jealous type. She would go apeshit when I simply ordered food from a waitress. One time I had lunch with Scully (no, Scully has never tried to seduce me ) and when my wife found out she tried to pull my hair out. Five years later, I still have headaches from that.

Anyway, I digress. My wife knew this sister was trying to seduce me. Hell, my wife clued in before I did! Yet, no jealousy at all. I regularly went with this sister in field service for a long periods of time, often alone. I visited her and her husband often as well, and often was alone with her. Yet, my wife had no problem with that at all. Funny, but weird....

Richard

Edited by - Skeptic on 5 December 2002 12:51:27

• jack2
    jack2

Richard said:

Her husband was my best friend, and he wanted me to be a partner on his farm. One big reason I refused is because I would be working with her all day, and didn't want the temptation. (The other reason is I am lousy at farming.)

I just had to quote that and every time I read it I laugh. It's just the way it reads, the part in parenthesis especially. Good post!

I am wondering why your wife was not jealous. That does indeed seem odd for a woman who normally showed extreme jealousy.

• Skeptic
    Skeptic

jack2,

just had to quote that and every time I read it I laugh. It's just the way it reads, the part in parenthesis especially. Good post!

LOL! I forgot about that...farming is another word for....

I am wondering why your wife was not jealous. That does indeed seem odd for a woman who normally showed extreme jealousy.

Yes it is....Windrider may have found the pattern though. My wife got extremely jealous over beautiful women. This sister was not all that beautiful. No dog or anything, just not gorgeous.

Richard

• bsmart
    bsmart

I dont want any, unless its a green handshake

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit