Freeing your family from a cult through family cou

by freeman 4 Replies latest jw friends

• freeman
    freeman

Freeing your family from a cult through family counseling.

I believe a wonderful opportunity was just handed to me by wife, maybe. She thinks thate my younger son should get some professional counseling because he is not doing his schoolwork and is displaying some classic early signs of depression. She said she has other issues and thinks she knows why he is depressed but that it only gets her in trouble if she brings it up.

I know exactly what she is thinking, she is thinking because I now forbid my son to attend meetings (over the blood and shunning issues) this is now affecting his schoolwork. I suggested instead of putting my son on the spot and pointing the finger of blame at him, why dont we all go for family counseling and air anything that is on our mind. She is thinking about it.

Oh boy I cant wait!

Doctor: So tell me Mr. Freeman, just why do you forbid your son to attend these religious meetings, what is your objection?

ME: OK Doctor, since you ask, this is what they are instructing my son to do, read the highlighted portions of this Watch Tower literature and see what you think.

Doctor: Mrs. Freeman are they actually teaching your son that he must have a deep loathing for anyone that has left the JW faith, are all these children on the cover of this magazine really dead because they refused a blood transfusion?

MY WIFE: Well Ohmmm Aaaaa .. Yada Yada Yada, Psalms 83:18, Yada Yada

ME: Ask her what she would do if her son was bleeding to death, ask her what parts of blood are OK and what parts are not, ask her who makes the rules about which parts are OK or not OK Doc.

I hope she goes for it, I know it will do us all a lot of good!

Freeman

Edited by - freeman on 4 December 2002 15:3:6

• LovesDubs
    LovesDubs

Free...because the JWs practically FORBID seeing worldly mental health doctors...I have my doubts about whether she will buy this.

• Yizuman
    Yizuman

I seriously doubt this would help change your wife's mind about the doctrine's of the WT.

How long has she been engrained into the society? If 3 years, it may be too late for it usually takes 3 years or so for the mindset of a JW to be incredible hard to be reversed. Deprogramming a JW takes months even years for the mindset to finally become free of the programming of the WT that has been placed into her mind.

Your child comes first and getting your child out of the Society is the foremost importance. Your wife will have to come later. The longer your child remains with the JWs, the more dangerous it becomes if the life of the child becomes endangered.

Let us know how things go from there and I'll pray for your wife.

• out4good3
    out4good3

Pushing her into a corner like that may push her further into "they b persecuting me" mode. If she's hardcore her "thinking about it" is just a way of looking for the shortcut that will save face for both her and the image of the WT. She most likely knows how JW's feel about worldly counseling. If you're not admonished by elders to pray more, go out in service more, make all the meetings, any other counseling is really of no use to you.

Good Luck though. If she goes, you have a classic opportunity to maybe have an independent observer trigger her thinking in such a way that she see's the light and chose to escape the oppressive WT regime.

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

Hi freeman;

I can understand your being excited at this chance to work out problems with the family all at the counselors office.

I would recommend however that you not be so direct in an attack manner against your wifes beliefs. To push someone usually results in their pushing back. It would be wise to take a slow subtle course of action and I think that would have a good chance for positive results.

If you only hint at the problems and let the counselor pick up on these issues and let him/her do the work it will not make it look like you are attacking her. So then if it fails or succeeds you will not appear to the the bad guy.

Whishing you the best and good luck.

Outoftheorg

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit